Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nate Marquardt Hopes for Second Crack Against Anderson Silva

Default Nate Marquardt Hopes for Second Crack Against Anderson Silva

Nate Marquardt Hopes for Second Crack Against Anderson Silva -- MMA Fighting

Nate Marquardt Hopes for Second Crack Against Anderson Silva
    11/05/2010 4:41 PM ET By Mike Chiappetta

Mike Chiappetta
    MMA Writer
    Three years later, Nate Marquardt can pinpoint what went wrong when he fought Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title at UFC 73. Considered one of the top middleweights in the world since then, Marquardt has never been able to work his way back into a rematch with "the Spider," and avenge the loss, but that could possibly change should Marquardt defeat Yushin Okami at UFC 122 next weekend.

It's a scenario Marquardt hopes to make a reality.

"For me the most important thing is to get that title fight, fight the champ," he said. "That's my dream is to become champion. It doesn't matter who it is. But I would definitely prefer it to be Silva just because he's been champ for so long and proven to be top of the division."

That was Marquardt's response upon being asked whether he'd prefer to face Silva or Vitor Belfort for the belt. Of course, he'll have no say in the matter, as Silva and Belfort will square off with the championship on the line at UFC 126 next February. But you can understand his point of view.

Marquardt surged on to the UFC scene in 2005 and won four straight to earn a shot at Silva's belt, but he lasted just 4:50 before being TKO'd in Silva's first official title defense.

"When I fought Silva, for a while I'd been having a lot of success," he said. "It was one of those things where I started fighting to not lose, too conservatively, not wanting to make a mistake or overextend myself. I was able to win all my fights in the UFC, got the title shot and fought Silva, but I felt like I didn't use all the tools I have. I was holding back."

Marquardt said that afterward, he promised himself he would fight more aggressively, and points out that even in his two losses since then (he's gone 5-2 since), he's done the lion's share of damage. In one of the losses to Thales Leites, Marquardt manhandled him for much of the bout but lost via split decision after being docked two points for rules infractions. In the other, he was outpointed by Chael Sonnen, though Sonnen left the cage with a bruised and battered face.

He realizes the Feb. 2010 loss to Sonnen set him back, something he attributes to a temporary "lost focus of my desire to be the champion."

"I don't know if it's just that I've had so many fights throughout my career or what it is, but all I can tell you is the desire I have now is greater than when I fought Chael Sonnen," he said. "It feels the same as when I was a kid. I want to be the champ and I know I'm one step away. I'm going to give everything I have to be the champion."
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

Default enough already

All this guy does is make excuses for his losses...enough already. I am tired of guys getting title shots by losing half their fights..

I think if Nate fights Anderson it ends the same way the first fight did. Nate struggles against the elite fighters so I really dont think he can beat Silva. I would much rather see Okami vs Silva. Okami has good wrestling and is trianing with Chael pluss he ownes a DQ win over Silva LOL.

I think Nate would be afraid to engage with Silva if they fought again.

Marquardt has looked awesome since the fight with Silva (accept in the Sonnen fight).
    I would like to see him take another shot at a title fight. He's definitely of the best fighters in the world at MW.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Nate is a good wrestler and has good GnP. If and i say if he can get Anderson on his back i think he has a good chance.

Quote Originally Posted by UFC-chef/Hughes-fan View Post
    Nate is a good wrestler and has good GnP. If and i say if he can get Anderson on his back i think he has a good chance.
    Disagree....Nate is not a good wrestler....though in top control, he has great gnp.

Nate has great Jiujitsu and decent wrestling, sir. Chaelfan is correct.

Nate should do better against Anderson then he did in his first fight but still not convinced he'll pull off the win.

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStriker View Post
    Nate should do better against Anderson then he did in his first fight but still not convinced he'll pull off the win.
    I feel as though Nate's striking is overrated. No doubt that he is a heavy hitter and has K.O power, but I see a healthy silva on a different level. Nate would try to do the exact thing sonnon and hendo and luter did against silva. Hope to get in close, secure the takedown, and gnp. However, if he cant get silva down then good night Nate the Great.

Nate has better striking than those you just listed. Sonnen did well on the feet but Anderson didn't have the movement he usually does, whether it be from the injury or lack of training we will never know. If he can follow the same gameplan as Sonnen and Henderson while imposing great striking and defense, he does have a better chance than most in the division to dethrone Silva. We will see how effective Marquardt can be from his upcoming fight because if he can't trade with Yushin with no problems, he will have great trouble with Silva or Belfort.

Thread Information