+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strikeforce Middleweight Grand Prix Nixed

Default Strikeforce Middleweight Grand Prix Nixed

Strikeforce Middleweight Grand Prix Nixed | 5thRound.com – UFC News, Strikeforce and MMA News, UFC 121 Play-by-Play Results

Strikeforce Middleweight Grand Prix Nixed
    Written by Tom Ngo
    November 6th, 2010
    Help 5thRound.com spread the word

Have you noticed the lack of attention Strikeforce’s Middleweight Grand Prix has garnered? Perhaps that’s because company CEO Scott Coker has decided to scrap the idea of crowning a top contender via tournament form.

“We were hoping it would happen, but it didn’t happen and we’re happy with [Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza] being our world champion,” Coker told MMAWeekly.com. “I think he’s a great representative and a great fighter.”

After former 185-pound king Jake Shields vacated the belt to swim in the Octagon’s pool, the San Jose, California-based promotion considered a tourney to anoint a new champion. Instead, they opted to arrange a vacant title tango between Tim Kennedy and Jacare.

The middleweights battled for 25 hard-fought minutes, leaving many to believe the scrap was knotted at two rounds apiece as they entered the 5thRound. Although the 49-46, 48-47, 48-47 tally suggested otherwise, the scrap was a difficult one to score because they appeared to mirror each other’s work in every stanza.

Kennedy was visibly upset once the decision was rendered, however the former Green Beret was gracious in defeat after losing the biggest non-Middle East battle of his courageous life. It appears he will have to work his way back up the totem pole without the added speed of a Grand Prix.

According to the report, Coker and Co. had problems organizing a one-night tournament with most athletic commissions, to go along with a barrage of other issues – with extending Fedor Emelianenko’s contract likely topping his priority list.

Strikeforce hosted a modified women’s tourney back in August. In 2007, they held a four-man middleweight tournament in San Jose.

In addition to Kennedy, Coker said Matt Lindland, Robbie Lawler and Jason “Mayhem” Miller are all possible contenders to the Brazilian’s throne.
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

Shine had a Grand Prix, why can't Strikeforce? Coker needs to start digging into his "Bag O Tricks" to start attracting the UFC fans. Get maybe Hendo, and Mousasi into the mix, and get the top fighters at strictly 185, and that would be a big card I think. No other fights except the fights that determine the the new 185 champ. They got some guys at 185, take advantage Coker. Forget Fedor's bullsh*t, and deal with fighters who actually want to fight, more then 1-2 times a year.

I thought they nixed this way back in August when Jacare/Kennedy was for the MW title no?

Personally, they need to build Jacare as one of their marquee maineventers and that means building him in blockbuster bouts vs. say winner of Hendo/Babalu and/or showdowns with perennial top ten MWs like Santiago or even Lombard. My fear is that Sillyfarce will put Lawler up for the next MW fight vs. Jacare after he ruins the aged Lindland and if there's one thing Lawler can't do, it's handle ludicrous jits.

I'd also be really open to a Jacare/Mousasi rematch if that whole 205 thing doesn't work out for Gegard....

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I'd also be really open to a Jacare/Mousasi rematch if that whole 205 thing doesn't work out for Gegard....
    Gegard was on an episode of Inside MMA a few weeks ago and said he walks around 210-214...would be too much of a cut to 185 at this point...he should focus on 205

As for Jacare and the MW title, i wouldnt b surprised if he takes the same road as Shields, faces Mayhem and Lawler, and moves on to the UFC...plethora of talent for him to face

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    HECTOR LOMBAD vs Jacare de Souza please!
    Agreed, that would be a sick fight. I want to see him and Mayhem go at it again too. Those fights are always entertaining.

Mayhem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't do it in one night - do it over three events like the old Pride Grand Prix - make it epic - build it up. Sigh.

BTW Scott Coker also said that the negotiations with Fedor continue and that he is very happy with how things are going. (In other words, he is saying exactly the same thing that he said 2 or 3 months ago). Maybe in january he will surprise us with the big big news that he and M1 are maybe going to come to an agreement in the very near future. (Around april or may)
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Don't do it in one night - do it over three events like the old Pride Grand Prix - make it epic - build it up. Sigh.
    Agree.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information