+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The 10 Worst Game Plans in MMA History

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Well hindsight is 20/20 so in retrospect it's easy to say that it's a bad plan but going in, no one really saw Anderson's wickedly sick muay Thai. What would make it a bad game plan would be if Anderson had seen Anderson destroy people left in right with the clinch and then run in there thinking things would be different.
    I think that the hindsight being 20/20 argument applies to the vast majority of fights when analyzing whether a gameplan worked or not. The thing is, a lot of guys go into the fights without a gameplan at all, so one can't say they had a bad one OR good one when they figure they should just rely on their talents wherever the fight goes.

Sherk was foolish during the fight to believe he could stand with Penn and not try too hard to take it to the ground, yes. More than anything, I think that a fighter's failure to adjust his in-fight gameplan when he is losing is the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    I dont think anybody knew GSP had improved his wrestling to the point that he would be outwrestling Kos going into that match...Kos wanted to stand and take the fight to the ground whenever he felt he wanted to but he never thought GSP would rather grapple than strike...it was more of GSP having a better gameplan than Kos having a bad one

as far as Kos vs Thiago, do u mean Alves or Paulo? To stand with Alves was def a bad gameplan but give the man credit for taking the fight on 2 weeks notice and lasting all 3 rounds on the feet wit Alves, something Karo, Hughes, Fitch, and GSP could not do

With Paulo, all everyone knew going into that fight was Paulo had great Jits, 7/10 wins prior to fighting in UFC were by sub and 2 by decision..I would say it was smarter to stand with a guy who was known for his jits than his striking..kos was picking him apart till he got caught,
    koscheck said that he spent 85% of his training on striking and 15 on jits and none on wrestling thats an arrogant gameplan imo

Kalib Starnes vs Nate Quarry

For sure. I can't forget that walking hammerfist thingy Nate was doing. let's not forget his running man too

I'm a little surprised nobody is mentioning the fact that Starnes didn't plan on breaking his foot. If I recall correctly it was some of the bones that take the pressure when you step forward(I can't remember what they're called). I'm not justifying his performance but it's not like he spent his entire training camp practicing running from his opponent.

For my money though the worst gameplan of all time has to be Griffin-Silva. Forrest looked so bad in that fight...

... 5 pages and no-one mentions Bisping vs. Hendo?

Ok, I nominate Bisping and his ill-fated strategy of constantly circling towards Hendo's nuclear-tipped right hand, which was straight out of the 'How To Get Brutally Knocked Out And Lampooned for Months in a Variety of Creative and Hilarious MMA Forum Signatures' handbook.
    Last edited by Goremire; 11-08-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    ... 5 pages and no-one mentions Bisping vs. Hendo?

Ok, I nominate Bisping and his ill-fated strategy of constantly circling towards Hendo's nuclear-tipped right hand, which was straight out of the 'How To Get Brutally Knocked Out And Lampooned for Months in a Variety of Creative and Hilarious MMA Forum Signatures' handbook.
    yea man thats textbook i agree

With respect to Bisping-Hendo, I don't think you can call that game plan. Bisping's incorrect circling was more execution than game plan, proven by the fact that his corner was screaming at him not to do that. Since even Bisping likely doesn't know/remember what his intentions were when he circled towards Hendo's right hand, I am of the opinion that he got hit early and panicked. Sherk stayed standing for all 4 rounds, so you can call that gameplan.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information