Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The real point of TUF

Default The real point of TUF

There is a thing I dont understand, it is supposed that TUF is a show where 16 fighters (more or less) compete, and the winner gets an UFC contract.
    OK, but what I dont understand is that it is supposed that only the winner should get the contract, but actually there are like 5 fighters each time that receive a contract. Some of them received it despite of losing in their first fight.

So, then what is the real point?
    Because in every show you see all fighters all worried saying that each battle is almost about life and death, that if they lose they are fucked but in reality even if they lose they still can get a contract.

The finalists say that they are one step away from having the contract, but reality is that both of them will get the contract, so then why they act as if only the winner gets it?
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

The winner gets a considerably larger paycheck

Quote Originally Posted by joeyP View Post
    The winner gets a considerably larger paycheck
    yea they get a 6 figure contract while the others get paid the minimum five or 6 grand or whatever it is.

also this is kinda random but i like the way TUF is now with young inexperienced non blue chip prospects. it helps a lot of raw fighters be able to train with the best coaches for 6 weeks and really mature and learn stuff and that helps them start their careers.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    yea they get a 6 figure contract while the others get paid the minimum five or 6 grand or whatever it is.

also this is kinda random but i like the way TUF is now with young inexperienced non blue chip prospects. it helps a lot of raw fighters be able to train with the best coaches for 6 weeks and really mature and learn stuff and that helps them start their careers.
    Most definitely. It's a total win-win arrangement. The up-and-coming fighters get so much invaluable exposure and instruction from MMA vets and the UFC gets an inexpensive "clearing house" to find worthy fighters without having to waste 2 or 3 PPV (or Fight Night) events per candidate (of course, they still do that, too, but by doing both, they're able to screen that many more fighters).

well, even the 6 figure contract is a bit misleading. I dont have a source on hand, but I understand its a 100,000 contract for 6 fights. So roughly 17,000 per fight, higher than the likely 5-10,000 everyone else is getting from the show, but not a huge amount amount more.

Even the fame that comes with winning is a bit diluted now – with so many seasons. Ive watched every season and it would take me a few minutes to come up with every winner. I think big country is an exception, because of his unique appearance and character, but the last few season the winner has kind of fallen off the map within a year or so of the season ending.

The real reason for the show in my opinion is to sell the PPV. GSP vs Koscheck is the money maker and the show is essentially a 10 week prime time series.

Quote Originally Posted by Pashak View Post
    There is a thing I dont understand, it is supposed that TUF is a show where 16 fighters (more or less) compete, and the winner gets an UFC contract.
    OK, but what I dont understand is that it is supposed that only the winner should get the contract, but actually there are like 5 fighters each time that receive a contract. Some of them received it despite of losing in their first fight.

So, then what is the real point?
    Because in every show you see all fighters all worried saying that each battle is almost about life and death, that if they lose they are fucked but in reality even if they lose they still can get a contract.

The finalists say that they are one step away from having the contract, but reality is that both of them will get the contract, so then why they act as if only the winner gets it?
    Exposure. That is the real point of TUF, and the "Countdown to UFC" shows they run on Spike. If you watch two fighters you know nothing about, the match isn't nearly as interesting as watching two fighters that you know the background stories and personalities of. This is what TUF is all about. Bringing the fighters to the masses and building rooting interests.

MMA isn't like most sports where people can just root for the uniform of the hometown team. You need to brand the fighters to an extent to really make it work and grow the sport.

My wife know exactly two MMA fighters by name and by face. Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar, and it isn't because they are the two best fighters in the sport.
    Last edited by JPeezy; 02-21-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Also, the winner is the only one getting a guaranteed contract. Others may or may not get a chance to fight in the UFC, if they do and lose they are most likely done. The winner gets multiple chances to prove himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Smith View Post
    Also, the winner is the only one getting a guaranteed contract. Others may or may not get a chance to fight in the UFC, if they do and lose they are most likely done. The winner gets multiple chances to prove himself.
    yea i was gonna say that the only person to win the contract and get cut before finishing out his deal was escadero and he was being a douche bag and dindt make weight on top of that.

and to whoever said court mcgee has fallen off the map he only has had one fight since the finale thats not really his fault and he won that fight so its not like hes doing bad. that was actually a pretty awesome fight.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post

Exactly right dude, on both accounts.

I always like when TUF features a handful of amateurs, learning from some of the best fighters/coaches in the world, training to be good enough for a shot in the UFC, thats the way it always should be.

Instead of having a few or one fighter that you know is going to win(Danzig season 6 and Nelson season 10). Or a season where every fighter is litterally all the good North American fighters not under a UFC contract(Season 1 and Season 2)

Kinda off-topic but this is one of my TUF pet peevs. I hate when a season of TUF features fighters that a 2-3 weight classes apart from their coaches. I mean whats the point of having a great UFC fighter as your coach if it basically all goes out the windows as soon as it hits the mats due to size, like whats the point of having a FW rolling with a HW?

I think every season the coaches should be one weight class above or less the fighters. That would be the best way to get the most use out of the coaches.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

UFC "The Ultimate Fighter Season 14" will be focusing on Featherweights and Bantamweights.

"The Ultimate Fighter 14" tryouts set for March 21 with featherweights, bantamweights | MMAjunkie.com

TUF 14 will be holding open tryouts on March 21 at the Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott in Newark, N.J.

Coaches have yet to be announced but I think we have all heard the rumors.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information