Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA Cliché - a.k.a. the Mike Goldberg effect

Default MMA Cliché - a.k.a. the Mike Goldberg effect

It seems to me that these days cliché in MMA in on a meteoric rise. I'm sure cliché exists in other sports, but it feels like a whole other beast in MMA.

Even the who's who of MMA broadcasters are a fault, including Mauro Renallo of Strikefarce. To me it's really the chink in the armor of MMA, and can be more painful to watch than Anderson Silva dry humping his way to victory.

I think the best way to to avoid cliché is to slip and rip, or maybe sprawl and brawl, but definitely avoid the ground and pound.

Honestly, if you can avoid cliché for even one sentence, you're pretty much the GOAT.
    Last edited by SWIFTboy; 12-15-2010 at 09:49 PM.

^^^
    wtf? I don't think that's a cliche saying, rather the NAME of the action they are performing.

3. Default

Ummmm
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I don't really understand what you're saying

This made me chuckle - will rep when I am able too.

I'm not sure but I think he's trying to get people to stop using sayings that rhyme. Ground and pound is used a lot, but you know exactly what someone means when they say ground and pound. For a play by play guy, it's easier to say ground and pound then "throwing opportune punches from an advantageous position on the mat" or "striking from a dominant ground grappling position to a fighter who attempting to avoid damage"

On the other hand, I do hate hearing "punches in bunches" just because rarely are many of those punches actually landing.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    I'm not sure but I think he's trying to get people to stop using sayings that rhyme. Ground and pound is used a lot, but you know exactly what someone means when they say ground and pound. For a play by play guy, it's easier to say ground and pound then "throwing opportune punches from an advantageous position on the mat" or "striking from a dominant ground grappling position to a fighter who attempting to avoid damage"

On the other hand, I do hate hearing "punches in bunches" just because rarely are many of those punches actually landing.
    not to mention it sounds pretty gay

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    It seems to me that these days cliché in MMA in on a meteoric rise. I'm sure cliché exists in other sports, but it feels like a whole other beast in MMA.

Even the who's who of MMA broadcasters are a fault, including Mauro Renallo of Strikefarce. To me it's really the chink in the armor of MMA, and can be more painful to watch than Anderson Silva dry humping his way to victory.

I think the best way to to avoid cliché is to slip and rip, or maybe sprawl and brawl, but definitely avoid the ground and pound.

Honestly, if you can avoid cliché for even one sentence, you're pretty much the GOAT.
    Who has Anderson Silva dry humped en route to a victory?

Are you drunk?

I barely understand what the fuck you're talking about.

geez what the fuck are you complaining about?! who gives a shit. If your biggest concern is over what some announcer says maybe you should move on to another sport.
    THE AXE MURDERER

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post

please elaborate sir

11. 12-15-2010, 09:48 PM

Thread Information