Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Im starting MMA training tommorow

Quote Originally Posted by dgil View Post
    $30 a month. Oh my god. I pay $240 for jiu jitsu per month and another $220 for boxing, per month.
    In Jersey?!? Find a new school. LOL!

Here in Houston, it's about $125 or so a month (full range of classes with unlimited attendance allowance). However, that's with a 1-year contract (and a ridiculous cancellation fee and renewal system).

Quote Originally Posted by Otomosix View Post
    In Jersey?!? Find a new school. LOL!

Here in Houston, it's about $125 or so a month (full range of classes with unlimited attendance allowance). However, that's with a 1-year contract (and a ridiculous cancellation fee and renewal system).
    In NY.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Theodore Roosevelt

well, thursday i had my 2nd session with my trainers. we trained for about 3 hours. did good bit of stretching before we started as we did last time. did some rolling at first . After that we drilled on a couple of different takedowns. after we drilled the takedowns, we did some grappling. four 3 minute rounds. needless to say with absolutely no grappling experience what so ever i did pretty decent.

all my take downs got stuffed because i shot from too far out. first round i was grappling with a guy thats got 10 years wrestling over me as well as 20-25 pounds. 1st round i got submitted a couple times through out the round, but was able to get out of multiple submissions as well as swept my trainer and got into some dominant positions and into my guard, unfortunately didnt do nothing with it but hey ya gotta start somewhere.

Felt pretty good after that, not too winded @ all. 2nd round started a little differently lol. i was grappling with a martials arts expert thats been doing Karate , wrestling and other grappling and martial arts for 20 years. needless to say i shot in for a takedown on him , forgot to keep my head straight , went to his left and fell victim to a guillotine choke like 6 seconds into the round. after that choke was when i started to gas and petered out quickly.

The next 2 rounds, i started on my trainers back with my hooks in and grappled from there, from where i was gassed after the 2nd round i couldnt do a whole hell of a lot, although i didnt get submitted as much and was able to pass to the mount a few times in these 2 rounds, i was pretty well gassed. these 2 rounds i defended well against the armbar, americana , and rear naked. i beleive in these rounds i was submitted only once in each round.

The trainers said they liked my takedowns when we drilled them. said my technique wasnt there yet but i had excellent agression in the takedowns and didnt quit and followed through untill i had them down. i dont think i did too bad either considering they each had over 10 years in wrestling and martial arts and being bigger and stronger than me.

Now its saturday and my whole body is sore as hell even after all the stretching and showers. feel worse then yesterday lol. The sport of MMA is really hard to train in and you take a good beating training for it, alot of people couldnt do this, but fortuantely I am enjoying every minute of the 1 on 1 training and drilling that i am receiving. maybe theres a future in MMA for me.
    Dan "The G.O.A.T." Henderson

Member of the Demian Maia fan club

Anderson VS Shogun 2012 Dana make it happen

Congrats. I hope you all the best

D-Gil? Are you seriously paying almost 500 bucks a month to train martial arts?????
    Paris is one of the most expensive cities in the world, I lived there 3 years and I did some martial arts, and in a decent academy they asked 700 euros (about 1000 dollars) a year.

Seriously I think 500 dollars a month is waaaay too much. (Unless you are training for a living)
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pashak View Post
    Congrats. I hope you all the best

D-Gil? Are you seriously paying almost 500 bucks a month to train martial arts?????
    Paris is one of the most expensive cities in the world, I lived there 3 years and I did some martial arts, and in a decent academy they asked 700 euros (about 1000 dollars) a year.

Seriously I think 500 dollars a month is waaaay too much. (Unless you are training for a living)
    Yeah I am, but it's what I'd like to do. I work as a network engineer in ny, so money isn't really a thing, and the quality of training that i'm getting is unbelievable. I don't mind it.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by dmc_tim View Post
    Now its saturday and my whole body is sore as hell even after all the stretching and showers. feel worse then yesterday lol. The sport of MMA is really hard to train in and you take a good beating training for it, alot of people couldnt do this, but fortuantely I am enjoying every minute of the 1 on 1 training and drilling that i am receiving. maybe theres a future in MMA for me.
    It'll get alot easier over time (and much sooner rather than later). Your body isn't used to doing any of this so it's subconsciously stressing all the while (and likely mixed with adrenaline, too). I'd say maybe a couple of weeks and your body will bounce back from each session without trouble.

Sounds like you're having a blast!

it is fun. i had another session last night. learned a couple rolls and sweeps on the ground. ive improved a good amount in grappling. the 2 guys that are training me could not throw me around as much as before, and was able to push them up against the wall and such.

did four 3 minute rounds of grappling. didnt get submitted as much as before. just once by each person. i evidentally have a thing for the rear naked choke lol ( tapped with 4-5 seconds left in the round). i just need to learn how defend better as well as work my submission offense. got arm barred for the first time ever.

did 1 3 minute round of boxing. got completely outclassed due to giving up 3 or 4 inches up in reach as well as being a little gunshy. a couple good body shots put me out for the night cause i felt like i was gonna throw up for the rest of the night.

the guys like how ive improved over the past couple weeks , and are looking forward to helping me out more so im excited. woke up today with a throbbing headache which i assume from the round of boxing lol.
    Dan "The G.O.A.T." Henderson

Member of the Demian Maia fan club

Anderson VS Shogun 2012 Dana make it happen

Thread Information