Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im starting MMA training tommorow

Default Im starting MMA training tommorow

im going to a place in logan ohio called NFC(north fitness center) that does regular work outs as well as MMA training . the owner is actually a fight trainer and has an MMA team and promotes his own fight show. his previous event (which was his first i beleive) sold out with good fights.

im getting excited yet nervous at the same time. i cant wait to start training. im 5'10 and 200 pounds right now. looking to get in shape and down to 155 or 170 cause @200 i still have a decent sized gut lol. any advice from the guys on here thats been training?
    Dan "The G.O.A.T." Henderson

Member of the Demian Maia fan club

Anderson VS Shogun 2012 Dana make it happen

Don't worry about your frame, and definitely don't model your goal weight to be tailored at the UFC weight divisions. Reason being is that a lot of amateur and other lower level professional orgs have a lot more weight classes. 15 pounds between each weight division is a ton, so don't get all caught up in that. Train hard, enjoy it, and your excess weight will shed off in the process. Just have fun man, don't over think anything, and just enjoy each day at a time. Good luck!
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Theodore Roosevelt

As dgil mentioned, don't worry about your weight at this time. Enjoy your training. Do conditioning on the side but when you train hard, weight will come off.

When I was training, the first thing I noticed was that I blew my gastank immediately. It was just an adrenaline dump and then I was vulnerable to my partner's onslaught. I learned to pace myself, which helped a lot. Also, it took me a while to getting used to getting hit in the face. Countering and circling out took me a long time to learn.

did a few hours of training thursday night and it was fun. did a little bit of striking. learned some different guard positions as well as rolling and a couple submissions (guillotine and americana). learned some takedowns. looking forward to this weeks training.

Out of curiosity, what's their payment structure? Did you have to sign an annual (or other) contract? Or is it purely month-to-month (with no cancellation fee)?

i actually ended up not going to north fitness, but went with a friend ( whos an amatuer mma fighter) to his old high school wrestling coaches house. but from i was told @ north fitness is that it is 5$ a session 3x a week or 30$ a month.

$30 a month?! That's insanely cheap. Places around here charge $100+ a month (and some still require an annual contract with $$$ cancellation penalty).

yeah, the general area where i live isnt a wealthy population so i dont think they could afford to charge too much.

Thats really cheap! Where I train you get screwed unless you pay for 3, 6, or 12 months at a time. Otherwise its like $25 a class, or $70 for 4/month, $100 for 8/month etc.

So take advantage of that. And dont be nervous, you have to start somewhere, and its not a real quick process. Just be patient and have fun.

$30 a month. Oh my god. I pay $240 for jiu jitsu per month and another $220 for boxing, per month.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Theodore Roosevelt

Thread Information