Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL Lockout

its all a bunch of bullshit

the owners got greedy and the players called them out on it. good for the players. but at this point the players are being just as big of bitches. they caught the owners, the owners basically admitted it, they should get a deal done. but now the players think they have leverage but in reality they dont. they would be better off settling outside of court. i was all for the players initially, but after the past couple of weeks i think its obvious they do not want a new cba, they are out for blood

that being said, its march. so right now, i dont give a shit. come august, and theres no pre season i might get slightly annoyed. come September and they kick off??? then all is good and i dont care, but if they dont kick off.............fuckem, i hope they sink further than baseball and hockey did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Yeah but to decertify just to sue only to reform the union later seems like it should be wrong.
    Lots of the things about the situation are wrong. The collective bargaining contract in place was fine. Its the greedy owners that opted out that started this whole chain of events.

I think people see sue and they assume the worst. The reality is it was the next logical step. When you have one side unwilling to show their data justifying a larger share of the pie, and another side unwilling to blindly agree to the suggestions of billionaires; you end up in court. That option was not possible with the union representing the players.

I just have a hard time believing the owners aren't making a killing off the current deal and this whole situation could have been avoided.

It's not the suing part I have a problem with. It's the, we are going to disban only to reform later just to accomplish this. They aren't even disbanning if that's the case.

And I'm pretty sure if I went to the owner of the company I work for and said, hey, I'm gonna need to see your books to make sure I'm getting the propper share of the pie, he would tell me to get bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyreas View Post
    Well there is more to it than just sueing. If they didn't decertify today and this thing drags out until the start of the season they have no legal options available for 6 months. Once the deadline passes the union must wait 6 months before they can decertify. If they don't decertify the power shifts to the owners for 6 months and that will end in an eventual decertification 6 months down the line.

Decertifying is actually going to speed up the process and at the same time slow it down. Now we just get court decisions and appeals for a few months and eventually football in the fall. I wouldn't worry too much about the lockout.
    Thanks for clarifying the decertification meaning, I wasnt really quite sure what exactly that meant or what was going on except that they didnt come to an agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post

that being said, its march. so right now, i dont give a shit. come august, and theres no pre season i might get slightly annoyed. come September and they kick off??? then all is good and i dont care, but if they dont kick off.............fuckem, i hope they sink further than baseball and hockey did.
    I feel the same way. I just want it to be resolved and to be water under the bridge by the time the Season rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    With my home team being the Seattle Seahawks its hard to watch football . hell had no clue any of this was going on
    Dude the Seahawk's are decent, dont be so hard on them. They knocked the Saints out of the playoffs last year in the first round and nobody even gave them a chance before that game! They played hard and I think with a little bit of time they will be a solid team.
    Last edited by HillbillyDeluxe; 03-11-2011 at 07:12 PM.

here is my thing, the owners dont have to show any of the books. they say they gave the players what they needs, they players say they didnt. someone is full of shit. i did read where the owners offered to get an independent auditor to go over things and sort it out. the players said no, they wanted there guy. i see where the owners cut down on how much they were asking........the players said no........

they claim they want to make a deal but they dont. they caught the owners with the lockout money from the tv deal and now there greedy and think they can get the world in court. a business has to make money to be sucessful. also, they have to make money to be able to afford the cost of the team. so here are the owners saying we need x, and the players saying nope no deal but i havent seen one counter offer from the players

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    It's not the suing part I have a problem with. It's the, we are going to disban only to reform later just to accomplish this. They aren't even disbanning if that's the case.

And I'm pretty sure if I went to the owner of the company I work for and said, hey, I'm gonna need to see your books to make sure I'm getting the propper share of the pie, he would tell me to get bent.
    I am just assuming they will reform right away. When they decertified in 1989 they didn't reform until 3-4 years later I think.

You can't compare this to an average joe job. If I was the owner of a small business and my 40k a year employee wanted to see my books I would tell them to piss off.

The NFL doesn't exist without elite athletes and these players have every right to fight for their piece of the pie. When both sides agree to a deal in 1993, 1998, and again in 2006 it must be working. Then somehow in 2008 the owners decide its not working and need more money...shouldn't they have to justify it somehow? What happened in those 15 years? Did they lose money? The NFL is fairly recession proof and the TV contracts are ridiculous so I don't buy any of that BS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    here is my thing, the owners dont have to show any of the books. they say they gave the players what they needs, they players say they didnt. someone is full of shit. i did read where the owners offered to get an independent auditor to go over things and sort it out. the players said no, they wanted there guy. i see where the owners cut down on how much they were asking........the players said no........

they claim they want to make a deal but they dont. they caught the owners with the lockout money from the tv deal and now there greedy and think they can get the world in court. a business has to make money to be sucessful. also, they have to make money to be able to afford the cost of the team. so here are the owners saying we need x, and the players saying nope no deal but i havent seen one counter offer from the players
    I agree somewhat about the book showing deal. They shouldn't have to show their books unless they are trying to justify more money(which they are). That is the first I have heard of the owners suggesting an independent audit. I thought I heard that the NFLPA proposed that and the owners said no.

I completely agree about the NFLPA reaction today though. They have the boot to throat of the owners and they know it. They had no intention of coming to a deal unless all of their demands were met. We should also remember that owners didn't budge until well into this thing too. Its not like they aren't being stubborn.

At the same time, doesn't it kind of hurt the small market teams to have to open their books? Don't they hurt their chances of signing the best free agents if the players know they are losing money?

Nah, the NFL isn't like MLB where small market teams can't compete. Every team ends up near the cap limit. In fact the teams that open up their pocketbook for free agents usually end up sucking. Washington spent the bank on Haynesworth and Al Davis of the Raiders overpays for lots of players. Both underachieve or in the Raiders case they just suck usually.

Good teams in the NFL aren't formed through free agency. They are formed through the draft and players want to be drafted as high as possible(to a crappy team) so they can bank the most.

I would be surprised if any team is losing money. If they are its their fault for failing at scouting/drafting.

so fucking pissed rich assholes im too angry to even go into details of why i am so angry

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    so fucking pissed rich assholes im too angry to even go into details of why i am so angry
    Don't be too angry.....at least MMA isn't setup like the NFL. As fans, we always have something to look forward to on a weekly basis.

Thread Information