Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for experienced grapplers

Basically Rampage is a freak of nature when it comes to this power and very very few people can pull off what he did.

As my BJJ instructor once said "The best way to counter a triangle choke is... to stay out of the triangle choke."

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Basically Rampage is a freak of nature when it comes to this power and very very few people can pull off what he did.

As my BJJ instructor once said "The best way to counter a triangle choke is... to stay out of the triangle choke."
    Ha love it.

"Be water, my friend..........and if that doesn't work, pick the fucker up and slam him on his head."

Winner!

You'd underhook the leg like someone else said. Also, if they did slam someone in a triangle, if the slam didn't break the triangle, the person being choked just went from a normal triangle, to an even tighter one.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Theodore Roosevelt

Whenever I'm caught in a triangle, I lean forward, sit down and get my hooks in on his stomach then pull my head and arm out, I'd never risk slamming my way out of anything, as it could deepen the triangle/armbar. I do however roll out of armbars, when you are flat on your back and he has hooked one of your arms but you still are holding your hands clasped, push the leg thats closest to your face, above your head and roll into his guard, and bam, that works a lot for me. But that's only my own personal preferred escape, if you feel slamming your way out is effective, by all means continue doing it your way

several reasons. first, anyone attacking from the bottom of the guard worth his jockstrap knows to hook the leg the moment the trianglee starts to stack. second, not a lot of people possess the strength or explosive power to do a deadlift like that with someone of equal weight to you flailing from your neck. and third, you would never, ever train that for fear of euthanizing your partners, and it's illegal in grappling tournis. i saw a kid to it in the '08 pan-am nogi championships in NYC, and the guy was fucking ostracized for the rest of the tournament.

also, getting proper grips when your arm is properly across your face (as it should be) is pretty damn hard.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    several reasons. first, anyone attacking from the bottom of the guard worth his jockstrap knows to hook the leg the moment the trianglee starts to stack. second, not a lot of people possess the strength or explosive power to do a deadlift like that with someone of equal weight to you flailing from your neck. and third, you would never, ever train that for fear of euthanizing your partners, and it's illegal in grappling tournis. i saw a kid to it in the '08 pan-am nogi championships in NYC, and the guy was fucking ostracized for the rest of the tournament.

also, getting proper grips when your arm is properly across your face (as it should be) is pretty damn hard.
    thx good advice, i would definitely not use it in a tournament or rolling, but in a fight I would go for it before tapping. A lot of times I am able to get get back to my feet even when they hook the knee. Doesnt seem like a foolproof defense.

not foolproof, but when you're shaking off a triangle, the slightest thing going wrong can end you. in a real/mma fight, i would probably do it as well... but so much can go wrong, you can't count on it
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

You have to be very strong to be able to do that

by far the WORST defense is the slam as it MOST LIKELY will land you in a waaaay deeper triangle choke

prime example is my boy Byron ...

p.s. slamming your opponent is illegal from the guard as well

Thread Information