Single Leg Squat, Rear Leg Elevated:

1 leg squat - rear leg elevated - YouTube

Bosu Squats:

BOSU Balance Trainer Squats Round - YouTube

Swiss Ball Curls:

Swiss Ball Hamstring Curls - YouTube

Single Stiff Leg Deadlift:

Single leg deadlift - YouTube

Once you get your balance you can add weight to some of these by holding dumbells and/or doing them more slowly. Doing stuff like this is a great way to change up a typical heavy leg training routine.
    "I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure" - Clarence Darrow

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fear My Hammer Fist View Post
    Box Jumps:

Box Jumps - ATHLETE365.com - YouTube

Single Leg Squat, Rear Leg Elevated:

1 leg squat - rear leg elevated - YouTube

Bosu Squats:

BOSU Balance Trainer Squats Round - YouTube

Swiss Ball Curls:

Swiss Ball Hamstring Curls - YouTube

Single Stiff Leg Deadlift:

Single leg deadlift - YouTube

Once you get your balance you can add weight to some of these by holding dumbells and/or doing them more slowly. Doing stuff like this is a great way to change up a typical heavy leg training routine.
    Yes I will do box squats and box jumps from time to time, they are great.

I was told by a trainer that you simply couldnt replace heavy leg exercises like squats and leg presses for maximum strength in your legs. Ill give those a try.

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    Yes I will do box squats and box jumps from time to time, they are great.

I was told by a trainer that you simply couldnt replace heavy leg exercises like squats and leg presses for maximum strength in your legs. Ill give those a try.
    Well squats and leg presses definitely have their place, and for sure size and strenght he's right, they can't be replaced.

HOWEVER, for explosive power, flexibility, and endurance, you should surely incorporate these other things into your routine.

What that trainer should have told you is that you should incorporate EVERYTHING to maximize your gains. You'll never reach full potential by simply doing one or the other.
    Last edited by Fear My Hammer Fist; 08-26-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    "I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure" - Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    thank you, FMHF

and use your BRAIN, Leucoethiops, if your body is able to handle 5X5 AT 230 LBS do you SERIOUSLY think it's NATURAL and HEALTHY for you to take SYNTHETIC SHIT (without enough research done on it, even if it is FDA, which is a joke and ran by private companies just like the USDA, approved because you can't study 30+ results of NO not to mention creatine WITH DANGEROUSLY HIGH LEVELS OF CAFFEINE IN IT WHEN THE PRODUCT HASN'T BEEN ON THE MARKET MORE THAN 5, now can you?) and push you past your plateau...

k, i'm going to share some articles since you don't wanna google and this is from an MMA site actually so

Medical Beat: FDA issues warning about America's top supplement line

Ask the Fight Doc: Are OTC performance-enhancing products legal and safe in MMA?

p.s. I am not holier than thou, I am simply someone who has been there and done that and studied past the marketing b.s.

I also had two friends OD to the point where we had to call EMTs for them, one by simple using 2 grams too much of Superpump 250 and the other by using about 1/3 of a scoop too much of NO Xplode...
    I'm Definitely NOT vegan, or vegetarian or anything remotely close, but i gotta agree with you. A lot of that supplement shit is really not good for you. and I am not some punk ass 18 year old just getting started..Ive been in the gym a long time...and i waslk around a 6'5, 255Lbs, and walk around arounf 7-9% bodyfat CLEAN. i use a sup made in the US called "Access bar" and it is a phenomenal product! My wife is a runner and i can keep up with her for both full and half marathons..so when i get to my own fight cardio and weights its not really close. I owe my pre-workout energy as well as my ability to stay vasular to this product. When i played football @ MSU our entire team used these cause they worked, and it was all natural so we wouldnt fail our piss tests.

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    What can you do when it comes to legs. Ill do squats, leg presses, leg extension and leg curls. What other options are there for building strength.

Agree, I dont care how it looks, i want the strength and explosiveness. I said running backs because they need the the actual strength and not just the looks. Ill usually do 8 reps at the most then go down to like 6, etc.

Iv experienced consistent increases in weight for the exercises for the past few months but recently its a struggle to get a little increase after multiple workouts and you feel the same strength.

Also im 6.'1.5 235-240 pounds would probably be able to get down to like 225 or so if i was completely cut. Any dosing recommendations? Do you have to take a lot or can you just take it in very small amounts to get some strength gains? you hear about these people taking too much and becoming unbalanced later on.
    For Explosiveness do walking lunges with weight, and plyometrics. With legs u have to change angles and reps and tempos to keep them confused. plyometrics will work on your explosiveness for sure...lunges will also considering the motion with weight. Also u may want to consider yoga. as a running back with the constant pounding on the body and lower body in general that extra flexibility not only in your legs but in your core will make u a much more versatile back as u will be able to sustain more punishment and thereby give out more punishment.

H.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I'm Definitely NOT vegan, or vegetarian or anything remotely close, but i gotta agree with you. A lot of that supplement shit is really not good for you. and I am not some punk ass 18 year old just getting started..Ive been in the gym a long time...and i waslk around a 6'5, 255Lbs, and walk around arounf 7-9% bodyfat CLEAN. i use a sup made in the US called "Access bar" and it is a phenomenal product! My wife is a runner and i can keep up with her for both full and half marathons..so when i get to my own fight cardio and weights its not really close. I owe my pre-workout energy as well as my ability to stay vasular to this product. When i played football @ MSU our entire team used these cause they worked, and it was all natural so we wouldnt fail our piss tests.
    appreciate it

and thanks for the insight, broseph!

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    I also had two friends OD to the point where we had to call EMTs for them, one by simple using 2 grams too much of Superpump 250 and the other by using about 1/3 of a scoop too much of NO Xplode...
    Really? I'm a small guy and I do a whole scoop of Assault every time I lift weights, which is more potent than NO Xplode and I don't ever feel like I need to be hospitalized. Either you're friends are ants, or they overdosed on something that wasn't a pre-workout supplement. I think you'd have to drink at least a couple of scoops for it to be unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpanky View Post
    Really? I'm a small guy and I do a whole scoop of Assault every time I lift weights, which is more potent than NO Xplode and I don't ever feel like I need to be hospitalized. Either you're friends are ants, or they overdosed on something that wasn't a pre-workout supplement. I think you'd have to drink at least a couple of scoops for it to be unsafe.
    it goes to illustrate that it's an unsafe substance. you won't ever have to be hospitalized for eating an extra pear...and did i NOT say that one had 1/3 of a scoop too much? Or do you just feel like running your mouth? Look at the bottle of NO Xplode it says take ONE scoop, assess tolerance, TAKE ANOTHER SCOOP, assess tolerance, TAKE 3RD scoop, assess tolerance SO CLEARLY, you don't need to take "at least a couple of scoops for it to be unsafe"

my friend was 240 at 6'4 and a INBF Doc Brown multi-time gold medalist...

again, I am a strength and conditioning coach and I try to help my athletes as much as possible but not by putting their longevity in any form of danger.

AGAIN, LET'S USE OUR BRAINS AND TRY TO BE LOGICAL: your body is capable of doing 10 reps safely. a substance delivers more blood flow to your muscle tissue (yet inhibits creatine from being pumped into other organ system due to GPA) and pushes your body PAST IT'S NATURAL ABILITY to do 12 reps...so essentially on an extreme microscopic level it has "helped" your thin and thick filaments perform UNNATURALLY...

oh and to get back to GPA's really quick

this is from NO Xplode's website

Guanidinopropionic Acid (GPA): An analog of creatine, also known to increase insulin sensitivity and increase cell volumization. GPA helps to reduce tolerance to the effects of creatine, greatly increasing the effects for those who are creatine “non-responders.
    and a quick explanation

This potentially dangerous ergolytic chemical is Guanidinopropionic Acid (GPA), which binds the creatine transporter and plugs it up so creatine can’t be transported into various tissues (similar to the concept of tamoxifen blocking the estrogen receptor, not allowing estrogen to bind). This is a problem, because most of our tissues can’t make creatine so it has to be transported in, and blocked transporters means a reduction in cellular creatine levels.

Bear in mind that creatine isn’t just a supplement, it’s a naturally occurring substance in our bodies that we need to survive! You know the impact of having 20% more creatine, now imagine having 80% less creatine! GPA induced creatine depletion can not only reduce muscle strength after a mere seven days of consumption (Gagnon et al., 2002), but has also been shown to convert fast-twitch muscle to slow-twitch (Ren et al., 1995)! So this substance might make you weaker and slower!

While these consequences should be enough to make you avoid supplements containing this chemical, there’s also a potentially dangerous side to consider: both our hearts and our brains have creatine transporters!!! Any time you start to mess around with our two most vital organs, it can’t be good. Fortunately, the brain seems to temporarily compensate for decreases in energy supply caused by GPA (O'Gorman et al., 1996), but do we really want our bodies to have to adapt to reduced energy levels? Of course not!

We also don’t want our hearts to be affected by GPA supplementation, but they are! In fact, 3 different studies showed that creatine levels in the heart dropped by 80-87% with GPA consumption in rats (Boehm et al., 2003, Neubauer et al., 1999; Horn et al., 2001). Now you can see why it’s nearly impossible to perform human studies using this substance! Clearly, you have to wonder what the manufacturers were thinking when they approved production of this supplement.

"But wait, there’s MORE! Order now and you’ll get another potentially dangerous ingredient for free!" One particular supplement ("SWOLE") combines GPA with another potentially dangerous substance known as Glycocyamine (G-amine). Sadly, G-amine (also known as guanidinoacetate) has been picked up by a few different supplement companies who obviously don’t do any research on what they’re getting people to ingest.

The reason G-amine is so popular (from a marketing standpoint, not from the consumers’) is because it is the precursor to creatine. Just like Testosterone can come from andro, creatine comes from G-amine. The theory is that you jack up G-amine levels and you get a whole bunch more creatine. The really asinine part is that, you can just directly take creatine!
    Last edited by TheKidInside; 10-01-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Thread Information