Thread: BJJ/Boxing Weight Cut

Default BJJ/Boxing Weight Cut

Hey guys, I just started BJJ training and boxing last week. This will be my second full week of training.

I have BJJ Mon and Wed, and I have boxing on thursday. Not only that...I work 2 jobs one of which is ups where i'm lifting boxes the entire time.

I'm currently weighing at 188. I'm trying to get down to atleast 170, maybe drop down a little lower once I see how I feel at 170.

I've changed my eating and everything...I guess the problem is I havn't lost a single pound yet. Is this normal, do I need to do more, or am I simply overthinking things?

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by error2k5 View Post
    Hey guys, I just started BJJ training and boxing last week. This will be my second full week of training.

I have BJJ Mon and Wed, and I have boxing on thursday. Not only that...I work 2 jobs one of which is ups where i'm lifting boxes the entire time.

I'm currently weighing at 188. I'm trying to get down to atleast 170, maybe drop down a little lower once I see how I feel at 170.

I've changed my eating and everything...I guess the problem is I havn't lost a single pound yet. Is this normal, do I need to do more, or am I simply overthinking things?
    It depends on a lot of things. how have you changed your diet. If your lifting a lot you may be headed towards gaining weight. How much weight can you afford to lose, body fat %, etc.

well right now i'm eating mostly meatless healthfood products. Fruits, soups....and I have been eating cereal. I try to stay hydrated so I drink plenty of water.

I'm not exactly sure on body fat % but I know I could definitely afford to lose, i'm more on the heavy side if anything

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by error2k5 View Post
    well right now i'm eating mostly meatless healthfood products. Fruits, soups....and I have been eating cereal. I try to stay hydrated so I drink plenty of water.

I'm not exactly sure on body fat % but I know I could definitely afford to lose, i'm more on the heavy side if anything
    make sure to count your calories and do a lot of cardio work to burn fat and lose weight, running, treadmills, bag work, etc. If you burn more calories than you take in you will lose weight for sure.

Nutrition is everything. You need to say more than 'I've changed my eating' for us to get a good idea. You said meatless, which means that you're probably not getting enough protein, and usually when people go vegetarian they end up ODing on carbs. Post what you ate on any day this week and you'll get more help
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Theodore Roosevelt

when you first start working out, you won't see immediate weight loss, especially if you're building new muscle mass. remember, muscle weighs more than fat. it's not uncommon for people to gain weight when they first start working out.

as you progress though, you will start to see your body change with the addition of lean muscles and the lost of body fat percentage. hope this helps.
    lemme touch your feet

If you're on a cut, I'd recommend maintaining a daily intake of 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight; as you don't want to have muscle deterioration as you cut.

As mentioned, people who cut out meat, tend to OD on carbs, and that'll totally kill any cut you're attempting.

My macros for cutting (for summer / beach) are 50/30/20 (protein/fats/carbs) It's not entirely awesome for your lipid profiles, but you'll drop a lot of water weight and a decent pile of fat over 6 weeks... I take milk thistle to keep my liver / lipids in check.

P.S. As a stickler for semantics, I must object to the statement that muscle weighs more than fat, this is not true; it's more dense than fat. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle; a pound of muscles simply occupies less space.
    Last edited by Leucoethiops; 09-18-2011 at 06:47 AM.

gimme your e-mail and i'll send you the tips i put together for the competitors at my gym so you won't be getting any e-doctors advice...also as a stickler for proper terms you're not cutting weight, you're getting into shape

Thread Information