Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exercises for slams

matto Guest

Default Exercises for slams

can u guys please name some exercises that will help me do powerful slams.

There's a couple of things to do for powerful slams:
    * For the pure strength do plenty of heavy hip and back exercises
    - Deadlifts
    - Bent Over ROws
    - Cleans (and Power Cleans)
    - Squats

* Make a sandbag since the weight it uneven it is more like a person:
    http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf
    - Shoulder it
    - Swing it
    -Slam it
    - Do cleans with it
    - Throw it

* Practice with people. Shoot in on them and pick them up for the slam. Just don't slam them full power. Practice this over and over because it's just as much technique as it is muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by matto
    can u guys please name some exercises that will help me do powerful slams.
    What like Matt Hughes or Rampage style? I would think lots of leg exercises.
    Squats really, jump squats are for building explosiveness. power clean is another exercise you can do. Core exercises and a strong back would be good also. A good core exercises is the seated medicine ball twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    There's a couple of things to do for powerful slams:
    * For the pure strength do plenty of heavy hip and back exercises
    - Deadlifts
    - Bent Over ROws
    - Cleans (and Power Cleans)
    - Squats

* Make a sandbag since the weight it uneven it is more like a person:
    http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf
    - Shoulder it
    - Swing it
    -Slam it
    - Do cleans with it
    - Throw it

* Practice with people. Shoot in on them and pick them up for the slam. Just don't slam them full power. Practice this over and over because it's just as much technique as it is muscle.
    I didn't see his post before I posted, I didn't mean to name the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by KENO5366
    I didn't see his post before I posted, I didn't mean to name the same things.
    not a problem. I missed core exercises anyways (although the lifts I lested will indirectly hit your core hard anyways)

Throw in some heavy core movements too: ab wheel rollouts, turkish getups, for some reason I'm drawing a blank this morning but your get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    not a problem. I missed core exercises anyways (although the lifts I lested will indirectly hit your core hard anyways)

Throw in some heavy core movements too: ab wheel rollouts, turkish getups, for some reason I'm drawing a blank this morning but your get the idea.
    yea u should definiatly hit the core it will help u bring them back down very hard and see if u can get some kettelballs for the squats and the turkish getups

matto Guest

well there is a long boring story to go along with this, but ill spare u guys,

what kind of slam would you say would be the most effective and possibly ko, like rampage, hughes or titos slam on tanner ect.

matto Guest

me and my friends r always fooling around and i just cant seem to get one of those huge ass power slams that could possible ko.

matto Guest

anybody got perfect instructions for a grappling dummy? i wonder if that would not only be good for subs, but might also be good to simulate a person.

Would a sledgehammer to a tire work? I saw Fedor doin' it and been wantin to try it ever since.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Thread Information