Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for experienced grapplers

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Default Question for experienced grapplers

you know the rampage slam on arona, why dont more people do that when they get in a triangle. Iv rarely seen it in fights and in training but it works for me every time. I do roll and grapple from time to time but am not very good at bjj or ever taken a class iv been in boxing and muay thai for years. also slamming out of armbars.

what are the pros and cons to doing that.

Well, the typical counter is for the bottom guy to hook under the knee of an opponent trying to stand/slam a triangle attempt. When that happens, the guy trying to stand will fall to the side (being off balance) and that is way worse because now the opponent has nowhere near the chance to maneuver out of the triangle (and often sets himself up for an additional armbar, too).

I think when Rampage used to do it back in the days of Pride, his strength and speed was relatively unknown to grapplers so it came as a bit of a surprise. You don't see him doing it as often nowadays (though one can also argue that Rampage's takedown defense has gotten better, too).

And the headbutt to Arona's chin didn't hurt either
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Otomosix View Post
    Well, the typical counter is for the bottom guy to hook under the knee of an opponent trying to stand/slam a triangle attempt. When that happens, the guy trying to stand will fall to the side (being off balance) and that is way worse because now the opponent has nowhere near the chance to maneuver out of the triangle (and often sets himself up for an additional armbar, too).

I think when Rampage used to do it back in the days of Pride, his strength and speed was relatively unknown to grapplers so it came as a bit of a surprise. You don't see him doing it as often nowadays (though one can also argue that Rampage's takedown defense has gotten better, too).
    ya when the try and grab the at the knee and are still able to power through it and stand up, what can they do then or what have they done wrong.

5. Default

The headbutt KO'd him, not the slam.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    ya when the try and grab the at the knee and are still able to power through it and stand up, what can they do then or what have they done wrong.
    They picked a fight with a much bigger guy? LOL

As long as the guy on bottom hooks the crook of his elbow (not simply grabbing with only the hand) into the back of the standing guy's knee, he is safe from a power bomb. It helps to crank the opponent's knee toward your body while doing this to turn the leg inward (giving you more leverage to buckle it and the standing opponent back to the ground).

Failing to grab the back of the knee altogether, however...well, you're pretty much in for a ride. You can *try* to release your triangle in mid-air but that's way easier said than done in the moment.

Just last weekend a guy tried to slam his way out of an armbar and hurt himself. Not sure exactly what teh injury turned out to be but the fight was over. Also a lot of guys slam to get out of the triangle and it just sinks them in deeper. The Rampage slam was just so viscious and Arona landed just right to get ko'd. It's far from common. Slam should be a last resort. You can stand and step over a guy from a triangle and escape that way, much higher success rate.

I've been on both ends of those slams and they are definitely not a pleasant way to start your day.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Otomosix View Post
    They picked a fight with a much bigger guy? LOL

As long as the guy on bottom hooks the crook of his elbow (not simply grabbing with only the hand) into the back of the standing guy's knee, he is safe from a power bomb. It helps to crank the opponent's knee toward your body while doing this to turn the leg inward (giving you more leverage to buckle it and the standing opponent back to the ground).

Failing to grab the back of the knee altogether, however...well, you're pretty much in for a ride. You can *try* to release your triangle in mid-air but that's way easier said than done in the moment.
    ya thanks for the tips. i try to use them when im the one actually landing the triangle. the problem might be trying to grab the knee while im already posed up because his 1 arm isnt getting my leg down.

How long have you been doing bjj and how good are you. belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Frasedog View Post
    Just last weekend a guy tried to slam his way out of an armbar and hurt himself. Not sure exactly what teh injury turned out to be but the fight was over.
    yes iv seen that numerous times. the triangle sometimes they dont slam down hard enough, they just kind of drop them and get it sunk in deeper. but the armbar is very tricky. iv seen it executed very well and i have seen guys get injured from trying to do that. what are you soposed to do to insure that you dont hurt your arm when you slam out of an armbar.
    Last edited by Kimbo> Rampage; 03-16-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    yes iv seen that numerous times. the triangle sometimes they dont slam down hard enough, they just kind of drop them and get it sunk in deeper. but the armbar is very tricky. iv seen it executed very well and i have seen guys get injured from trying to do that. what are you soposed to do to insure that you dont hurt your arm when you slam out of an armbar.

I dont slam out of arm bars and triangles usually, but if I were to, I wouldnt do it if the arm was fully extended. Also curl my arm around the outside of the guys thigh before the lift. Believe me there are better ways of escape. Rich Franklin rolls out af armbars well. I can't remember who he was fighting, but he was on his back and you roll over to your belly and around into side control. Drill that, you'll like it better. It's all about timing.

Thread Information