Thread: Kneeling posture in Bjj

Default Kneeling posture in Bjj

I posted this same topic in the grappling board, but that board seems kinda borderline vacant; so sorry mods for double posting it.

When you are in somebodys guard or not, or whenever you have a knee down; should the top of your foot be flat on the mat, or should your toes be in a ready to spring position? i have just always wondered which is best, since I came from a wrestling background and I've always been told by my coach to keep them flat; the reason being is that having your foot raised up like that gives the opponent a potential place to gain levrege by grabbing it, and you have more balance with it flat. What do you more experienced Bjj guys think?

Ps. I finally started classes and I even held my own against the blubelts

38 views and no responses?
    Have some sympathy mods and move this back to off-topic discussions please.
    Last edited by CtGreat; 04-13-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

It's preferences and situational. BJJ is all situational, so there is never a 'way' to do things. I normally like to stay on my toes, it gives me a little more height in my posture so it's harder for the person to try to break it down. But this gets tiring if you're in guard for a while, so if you plan to stick around for a bit, I'll put my foot on the mat. Hope this helps.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Theodore Roosevelt

situational of course, but keeping on your toes gives you both more spring in your leg movement, and, MUCH more importantly, keeps you from breaking your foot the fuck off if you're swept over your back. keeping the tops of your feet down, like a straight line down your shin over your foot, is potentially a very dangerous position, and can lead to snapping your ankles.

ewwwww.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

staying on your toes = bad base. if you're trying to move then obviously you will roll to the ball of your foot/toes, if you're trying to maintain your base, MUST BE FLAT

Thread Information