Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Says He Would Never Fight Jon Jones

Quote Originally Posted by singhc View Post
    hahah so then why is GSP being called a pussy for not fighting Silva......
    I won't go so far as to say that Anderson is a coward, but here's what bothers me. Silva (or at the very least his management) has essentially called out GSP for a superfight. So Anderson is okay with making a superfight with an obviously smaller guy, but completely refuses to do the same thing he is challenging GSP to do.

Is Anderson a coward? Certainly not (I wouldn't want to fight Jon Jones either). But at the same time, if you aren't willing to move up and challenge a bigger man, don't expect another fighter to do what you aren't willing to do. You don't see GSP calling out Jose Aldo, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by dexter View Post
    Bones' striking may be unpredictable but he's not in the same league as silva there (even with his freaky reach)...

I do think he could take him down at will and potentially pound him out though.
    I have a hard time imagining Silva being able to dance around Jones with that monster reach. Dont get me wrong Silva's strikes and kicks are leaps and bounds above Jones but I think that reach would greatly limit Silva's ability to move and avoid.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

what in the wide wide world of sports is going on here? Since when did Anderson and Bones get all buddy-buddy? I knew Jones idolized him and looked up to him, but I didnt hear one peep out of Anderson about him until he just took the crown at LHW.

I dont understand how Anderson makes it out to be a big deal now to go up a weight class and fight when he has essentially cleared out his division for the most part, but insists on GSP moving up to a division he's never fought in before if he wants a piece of him. That doesnt make any sense at all...
    Last edited by HillbillyDeluxe; 04-16-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    what in the wide wide world of sports is going on here? Since when did Anderson and Bones get all buddy-buddy? I knew Jones idolized him and looked up to him, but I didnt hear one peep out of Anderson about him until he just took the crown at LHW.
    As Sakara mentioned, I assume it happened after Silva watched Jones demolish Shogun. Making friends is easier than fighting this beast. As you will see in other threads Jones attended Silva's movie premiere with him the other day.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    As Sakara mentioned, I assume it happened after Silva watched Jones demolish Shogun. Making friends is easier than fighting this beast. As you will see in other threads Jones attended Silva's movie premiere with him the other day.
    I saw the twitter posts between the two of them...Needless to say, I call bullshit. Anderson is making that alliance just to save face because he sees Bones as a threat at LHW for if/when he moves back up.

Bones has height and reach on Anderson easy so that could neutralize alot of Silva's unorthadox striking tactics.

rob_bills Guest

I saw the twitter posts between the two of them...Needless to say, I call bullshit. Anderson is making that alliance just to save face because he sees Bones as a threat at LHW for if/when he moves back up.

Bones has height and reach on Anderson easy so that could neutralize alot of Silva's unorthadox striking tactics.
    When has Silva gone about making a run at he lhw title? Why should he? Why would he when he has whats looking like a massive and possible record breaking streak at mw? mw is his home, his domain, where he has fought most of his fights.

I would imagine that the reason Silva is making friends with Jones is because Jones has said on multiple occasions that he admires Silva.

Machida is at lhw, and is a former champ looking for another shot at the title so why would Silva move up and disrupt that.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_bills View Post
    When has Silva gone about making a run at he lhw title? Why should he? Why would he when he has whats looking like a massive and possible record breaking streak at mw? mw is his home, his domain, where he has fought most of his fights.

I would imagine that the reason Silva is making friends with Jones is because Jones has said on multiple occasions that he admires Silva.

Machida is at lhw, and is a former champ looking for another shot at the title so why would Silva move up and disrupt that.
    I said IF man, IF. Just kinda seems like he'll ponder it after clearing out his division for so long. He is the kinda guy who likes to compete and challenge himself, so I wouldnt rule it out again entirely.

rob_bills Guest

I said IF man, IF. Just kinda seems like he'll ponder it after clearing out his division for so long. He is the kinda guy who likes to compete and challenge himself, so I wouldnt rule it out again entirely.
    If i was Silva i would sit pretty at middleweight kicking the shit out of everyone coming my way until i retire, why jeopardize my title and historical run? feck that shit.

i think this is a bit ridiculous. Anderson makes no sense here at all. He wont fight Jones because hes in a different weight class. A weight class that we have seen him destroy both James Irvin and Forrest griffin. I'm not comparing those two fighters to Jon Jones, but to say you wont fight him because its a different weight class just seems like a way out. I never really thought i would hear Anderson to say something like that, but maybe hes scared of losing.

Three points:

[1] Jon Jones could idolize and respect Anderson but I bet you he would fight Anderson in a heartbeat. He has clearly stated that he would fight anyone the UFC asks him to fight. If he has no problem facing a close friend and teammate in Rashad, you really think he's not going to fight Anderson? Jon Jones wants to the best and he knows he could make a bigger name off beating Anderson.

[2] Anderson not wanting to fight Jon Jones makes no sense. It's not like they were close friends at all. Which close friend asks for his friend to come to their documentary premier over twitter? and the other has to consult his manager first? Also it's not like the idolization happens the other way, i.e. Anderson does not idolize Jon Jones.

[3] You can never call GSP afraid or a pussy for not wanting to move up if Anderson is not willing to do the same. There are way more reasons of why it makes more sense for Anderson to move up instead of GSP, a) Anderson has moved up twice to LHW whereas GSP has only talked briefly about the idea at one point in his career, b) Anderson and Jon Jones are around the same walking weight whereas GSP and Anderson are wayyy off in weight, c) Anderson is fighting in a much shallower division than GSP. Three of his fights AFTER he won the title were against fighters who were not in the top 10 (Lutter, Cote, Leites).
    Last edited by Dr. MMA; 04-16-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Thread Information