Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Says He Would Never Fight Jon Jones

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    what in the wide wide world of sports is going on here? Since when did Anderson and Bones get all buddy-buddy? I knew Jones idolized him and looked up to him, but I didnt hear one peep out of Anderson about him until he just took the crown at LHW.
    As Sakara mentioned, I assume it happened after Silva watched Jones demolish Shogun. Making friends is easier than fighting this beast. As you will see in other threads Jones attended Silva's movie premiere with him the other day.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    As Sakara mentioned, I assume it happened after Silva watched Jones demolish Shogun. Making friends is easier than fighting this beast. As you will see in other threads Jones attended Silva's movie premiere with him the other day.
    I saw the twitter posts between the two of them...Needless to say, I call bullshit. Anderson is making that alliance just to save face because he sees Bones as a threat at LHW for if/when he moves back up.

Bones has height and reach on Anderson easy so that could neutralize alot of Silva's unorthadox striking tactics.

rob_bills Guest

I saw the twitter posts between the two of them...Needless to say, I call bullshit. Anderson is making that alliance just to save face because he sees Bones as a threat at LHW for if/when he moves back up.

Bones has height and reach on Anderson easy so that could neutralize alot of Silva's unorthadox striking tactics.
    When has Silva gone about making a run at he lhw title? Why should he? Why would he when he has whats looking like a massive and possible record breaking streak at mw? mw is his home, his domain, where he has fought most of his fights.

I would imagine that the reason Silva is making friends with Jones is because Jones has said on multiple occasions that he admires Silva.

Machida is at lhw, and is a former champ looking for another shot at the title so why would Silva move up and disrupt that.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_bills View Post
    When has Silva gone about making a run at he lhw title? Why should he? Why would he when he has whats looking like a massive and possible record breaking streak at mw? mw is his home, his domain, where he has fought most of his fights.

I would imagine that the reason Silva is making friends with Jones is because Jones has said on multiple occasions that he admires Silva.

Machida is at lhw, and is a former champ looking for another shot at the title so why would Silva move up and disrupt that.
    I said IF man, IF. Just kinda seems like he'll ponder it after clearing out his division for so long. He is the kinda guy who likes to compete and challenge himself, so I wouldnt rule it out again entirely.

rob_bills Guest

I said IF man, IF. Just kinda seems like he'll ponder it after clearing out his division for so long. He is the kinda guy who likes to compete and challenge himself, so I wouldnt rule it out again entirely.
    If i was Silva i would sit pretty at middleweight kicking the shit out of everyone coming my way until i retire, why jeopardize my title and historical run? feck that shit.

i think this is a bit ridiculous. Anderson makes no sense here at all. He wont fight Jones because hes in a different weight class. A weight class that we have seen him destroy both James Irvin and Forrest griffin. I'm not comparing those two fighters to Jon Jones, but to say you wont fight him because its a different weight class just seems like a way out. I never really thought i would hear Anderson to say something like that, but maybe hes scared of losing.

Three points:

[1] Jon Jones could idolize and respect Anderson but I bet you he would fight Anderson in a heartbeat. He has clearly stated that he would fight anyone the UFC asks him to fight. If he has no problem facing a close friend and teammate in Rashad, you really think he's not going to fight Anderson? Jon Jones wants to the best and he knows he could make a bigger name off beating Anderson.

[2] Anderson not wanting to fight Jon Jones makes no sense. It's not like they were close friends at all. Which close friend asks for his friend to come to their documentary premier over twitter? and the other has to consult his manager first? Also it's not like the idolization happens the other way, i.e. Anderson does not idolize Jon Jones.

[3] You can never call GSP afraid or a pussy for not wanting to move up if Anderson is not willing to do the same. There are way more reasons of why it makes more sense for Anderson to move up instead of GSP, a) Anderson has moved up twice to LHW whereas GSP has only talked briefly about the idea at one point in his career, b) Anderson and Jon Jones are around the same walking weight whereas GSP and Anderson are wayyy off in weight, c) Anderson is fighting in a much shallower division than GSP. Three of his fights AFTER he won the title were against fighters who were not in the top 10 (Lutter, Cote, Leites).
    Last edited by Dr. MMA; 04-16-2011 at 08:57 PM.

It's very easy to call a fighter a coward sitting behind your keyboard, but Silva is at least being honest with us. He realizes that Jones is almost 15 years younger, has about a 10" reach advantage, and is a considerably larger man. Why would he fight him? It's a horrible match up for him. On the other hand, GSP doesn't match up that poorly with Silva, GSP's a little smaller but he should have a significant advantage in wrestling. The size difference is no where near what it is with Silva/Jones.

Zombie is born!

Respect is a very big thing to Anderson Silva. Some of Bones' comments in the post fight interview after whoopin Shogun were super respectful towards Anderson. I think that is why they became friends after that fight. As far as Silva being a coward, give me a break. People are just looking for an opportunity to put this guy down. It's not like we're talking about Fedor avoiding top competition for years to remain on top, Silva proves how dominant he is every time he goes out there. With the exception of a few fights where the talent level was so lopsided in Silva's favor that he was bored in the octagon and playing with his opponent like an animal toying with it's prey. And the chael fight where I truly believe Silva wanted to win the way he did because of the fact that chael disrespected the Nogs BJJ. Silva has nothing to prove, but I think he would enjoy beating up GSP because GSP is cocky and not always very respectful of his opponent. Jones is very respectful, and likable. Beating GSP at this point would be a bigger notch on his belt than Jones as well as being more satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    It's very easy to call a fighter a coward sitting behind your keyboard, but Silva is at least being honest with us. He realizes that Jones is almost 15 years younger, has about a 10" reach advantage, and is a considerably larger man. Why would he fight him? It's a horrible match up for him. On the other hand, GSP doesn't match up that poorly with Silva, GSP's a little smaller but he should have a significant advantage in wrestling. The size difference is no where near what it is with Silva/Jones.
    That would make more sense if Anderson had never fought Chonan back in the day.

I'm not saying Anderson is a coward or that he's ducking or anything his haters are going to say. I am saying that you really can't expect to seriously be considered the best of all time and then refuse to take fights where you don't have the physical advantage.

EDIT: Just saw this nonsensical bullshit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Smith View Post
    It's not like we're talking about Fedor avoiding top competition for years to remain on top, Silva proves how dominant he is every time he goes out there.
    Fedor ducked top competition for years? No, not even close.
    Anderson proves how dominant he is every time he goes out there? No, not even close.

But thank you for playing, son.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 04-16-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information