Thread: Brian Stann on Facing Santiago Instead of Silva: 'I Got a Better Fight'

Default Brian Stann on Facing Santiago Instead of Silva: 'I Got a Better Fight'

Brian Stann on Facing Santiago Instead of Silva: 'I Got a Better Fight'
    Brian Stann on Facing Santiago Instead of Silva: 'I Got a Better Fight' -- MMA Fighting - Follow link for full article.

"Any time that I have actually met Wanderlei, which is very few, he's just been an amazing guy. He's been a champion. So I certainly didn't take it as an insult or anything of the sort. I just took it as it wasn't the right time or the place, and I knew I was kind of even rolling the dice to get that fight anyways."

And while Stann was initially disappointed he didn't get chance to fight the legend Silva, he is thrilled with the way things turned out.

"At the end of the day, I got a better fight. I love Wanderlei, he's the guy that I said since the WEC that would be my dream fight just because I always loved watching him fight, but let's face it, Jorge Santiago is ranked in the top 10 for the last two years. This is a better fight for me."

"Now I've been tried and tested. A lot of people didn't think I would last in the UFC. I had to have a very fast learning curve, obviously my camp and my teammates have helped me with that. But beating a guy like Chris Leben, I think that was the fight that proved, Ok, wait a minute, this guy has skills, this guy is going to contend, and people are believers now."

"I know Santiago wanted to get a title shot right away when he came over due to being a world champion, and being a champion in Sengoku is certainly justifiable a world champion due to the competition he's facing. You're right, it is wide open. When Okami leaves, everybody else there has already fought [Silva] and lost, so the UFC has to decide, do they want to have a rematch or, if I can get passed Jorge Santiago and maybe Michael Bisping is knocking at the door, Nate Marquardt is looking to move to 170, so there's a lot of question marks there, and they will need a new face."

hes well spoken i like his atitude and he's getting better, on top of that he has served our country with honor so i hope he makes his way up to contention. I think we need to see him compete against more dynamic, technical and complete fighters i actually thought he was better suited to facing bisping before chael came back into the picture

Santiago has a really good ground game, not very good takedowns though. I think it's a good test for Stann, he got subbed too easily by that tatt'ed up Canadian with the long Polish name, can see if he has improved much by this fight.

Zombie is born!

Hard not to like this guy. I truly thought Leben was gonna catch him with the drunk semi conscious zombie haymaker KO finisher he usually pulls out when he's getting tattoed in a fight. Brian Stann was having none of it though.

Him and Santiago should be fun.

Santiago wanted a title shot right away? LMAO!
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Stann by all-american, colossus sized beatdown!

he sure did get a better fight, one that he can win.

edit--says a huge Wanderlai fan

Stann is a beast... not sure this style match up is better than Wandy for him though.

Thread Information