Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nick Diaz Sparring With Andre Ward, "Will Do Just Fine" In Boxing Says Melendez

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    diaz bjj is leaps and bounds better then the guys you mentioned so i dont see him getting smothered at all i actually thinks he beats all those guys gsp couldnt even finish hardy his bjj is sub par for a blackbelt.

oh and AJ sits on top of a guy with terrible wrestling and all of the sudden he has great top control and deserves to be in the same sentence as fitch, kos and gsp? gimme a break.
    AJ was a NJCAA national champion, a two time state champion,and a two time runner up, and set the school record for most wins a row,so ya,he should had a very good top game,not the same level as the tio, but hes still wrestling based, similar to Kos. Sorry for putting his name in the same sentence?lol.

And as for iaz's BJJ, when did you last see Kos,Fitch or GSP submitted? In some of their first fights, years ago. Sorry to say, Diaz doesnt handle being on his back very well, and its not like he has been using his BJJ much.

Sherk, Diego, and Riggs brought him to a dec, so can the aforementioned.

And when was the last time Diaz fought, and beat a top 10 WW? Maybe Marius? I think when/if he fights in the UFC its going to be a rough time for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Melendez also said on Inside MMA that Diaz could be doing this for leverage in obtaining a big fight.

You think Zuffa is going to want one of their up and coming guys fight a pro boxer? And potentially lose money on Diaz? If he were to get KOd in 1 minute, I think Zuffa would be a little pissed.

I think Nick has decent boxing, but his footwork can be pretty weak sometimes. He has drastically improved his distance, but when he wants to stand and fire, he always goes flat footed....not good for a pro boxer like Mayorga with over 100 amateur victories and over 240 professional rounds of boxing.

I think this is a power move that Nick and his agent have planned out.

Say that he has a fight planned so that Zuffa have to counter the potential boxing deal with a better MMA deal.

One thing with Mayorga is that he hasn't been near the top of the boxing game since 2003...he just turned 38....

The much bigger Diaz outstruck and beat KJ Noons, but he didn't school KJ in boxing...he didn't school KJ, he was just taller, had a better reach and was stronger than KJ.....and KJ is a smaller guy....I still think KJ would fair better in boxing than Diaz. KJ has better footspeed and moves in and out quicker than Diaz.

I have no doubt either guy is willing to go to boxing and do work...but if Nick gets what he is wishin for, it might hurt how much he can get paid fighting in MMA.

What about boxing fans?....do you guys think they want to see Diaz fight? Do you think they care about MMA fighters who think they want to fight boxers? Or would boxing fans see it like I do....a borderline freak fight.

I imagine boxing fans see this the same way mma fans saw james tony.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

AJ was a NJCAA national champion, a two time state champion,and a two time runner up, and set the school record for most wins a row,so ya,he should had a very good top game,not the same level as the tio, but hes still wrestling based, similar to Kos. Sorry for putting his name in the same sentence?lol.

And as for iaz's BJJ, when did you last see Kos,Fitch or GSP submitted? In some of their first fights, years ago. Sorry to say, Diaz doesnt handle being on his back very well, and its not like he has been using his BJJ much.

And when was the last time Diaz fought, and beat a top 10 WW? Maybe Marius? I think when/if he fights in the UFC its going to be a rough time for him.
    You are countering yourself in your own argument. When Sherk, Diego, and Riggs took Diaz to a decision, that was around the same time that Kos and GSP were submitted. So if both Kos and GSP have improved to the point where Diaz can't submit them, then why don't you believe Diaz's takedown defense and scrambling have improved?

3 of his last 6 fights were win by submission, so he has to be using some of his BJJ.

And Daley is a top 10 ranked fighter, even after his loss to Diaz.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    You are countering yourself in your own argument. When Sherk, Diego, and Riggs took Diaz to a decision, that was around the same time that Kos and GSP were submitted. So if both Kos and GSP have improved to the point where Diaz can't submit them, then why don't you believe Diaz's takedown defense and scrambling have improved?

3 of his last 6 fights were win by submission, so he has to be using some of his BJJ.

And Daley is a top 10 ranked fighter, even after his loss to Diaz.
    Your right,it was around the same time. But that was Fitch's first fight, and Koschecks 5th, I would have to say they both have improved far more then Diaz has. If Cyborg can take Diaz down,Fitch,Kos and GSP are going to smoother him. I just dont see them in danger of Diaz's BJJ, while its very good, I dont think he will pull off a sub over the three wrestlers.

As for Daley being a top 10 WW, I wouldnt put him their,top 15 easy. But his biggest win was over Kampman,and since then he lost to anyone else in the top 10,and only beaten top 20 guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

The problem is,once he enters the UFC,hes going to be wrestled,and smoothered,which in turn is the reason he left the first time. Kos,Fitch,AJ, GSP will all control him with their top game,and that will be that. Rematch against Diego,and a fight against Kampman would be awesome,other then that he should stay in SF.
    Diaz left the ufc via his own decision on a 2 fight win streak.

I would be highly surprised to see Anthony Johnson control Diaz on the ground. I would be surprised to see Fitch or Kos do it as well. Gsp could very well do it, though I think Diaz would have a good shot at winning. The takedowns may win them the fight, but it wouldn't mean they controlled him, hell he probably could sweep every ww except maybe gsp. Diaz being the skilled bjj artist that he is, he's in just as much control on the bottom usually as his opponent is on top...except for the fact that he knows judges love the guy on top, which of coarse will force him to create a scramble while a wrestler holds a body lock on him for dear life which may lead one to believe he is struggling and being controlled...which I guess he is but its due to the judging criteria moreso than the opposing fighter.

Diaz has tightened up his game alot and doesn't make as many mistakes as he used to. Ruling out any possibility of Diaz submitting ANY ww is a mistake. He also has way, way better hands than Kos or Fitch and would have his way with them standing up. and Cyborg took him down because Diaz wasn't worried about Cyborgs bjj whatsoever, if Diaz were fighting someone with better bjj, then he'd have reason to be worried.

^Paul Daley is definitely a top 10 WW at this point. and LOL at saying Fitch and Koscheck have improved more in the past several years than Diaz has. Yeah, that jumping-in jab that he's been mastering these past several years was on full effect against Paulo Thiago. (an actual non top 10 fighter), so was that overhand right against GSP.

and Fitch's striking is still horrible. His submissions are mediocre, and his guard passing isn't very good unless he's facing someone with questionable cardio, then it becomes good in the late 2nd or 3rd round. I'd say Diaz is the 2nd most complete fighter in the WW division behind GSP.
    Last edited by dbader08; 04-18-2011 at 06:32 PM.

he fought diego sherk and riggs like 5 years ago. you can tell just how much hes improved over the years by comparing the first and second noons fights

and how isnt paul daley a top 10 WW? he was fighting for the ufc #1 contender less then a year ago and hasnt lost since. i dont think 1 decision loss to josh koscheck means he isnt a top 10 WW anymore.

gomi too was definetly a top 10 WW at the time he beat him. granted he was a LW majority of the time but saying he wasn't a top 10 WW is like saying bj penn isnt one right now.

Thread Information