Thread: UFC contender Phil Davis taking time off to improve, plans to fight by year's end

Hybrid View

1. Default UFC contender Phil Davis taking time off to improve, plans to fight by year's end

UFC contender Phil Davis taking time off to improve, plans to fight by year's end | MMAjunkie.com

by Steven Marrocco on Apr 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm ET
    To the naysayers who've said he isn't the future of the light-heavyweight division, Phil Davis has something to say.

Did you think of that one on your own, or did you need help?

"So I'm not the best in the world," Davis (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) recently told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). "Guess what. I will be one day."

Less-than-stellar feedback on his most recent performance and a series of nagging injuries have prompted Davis to realign his priorities. Improving his skills is now the most important part of his career.

"I really want to make some huge gains inside the gym before I step back in," he said.

Davis used his stock and trade of wrestling to outpoint Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (19-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 24. But in doing so, he failed to fulfill the hopes of many who sought to crown the next contender to Jon Jones' title. The overall feedback was that Davis wouldn't be ready any time soon for contendership.

But the former NCAA Division I wrestling champion said critics who say he isn't all that haven't been listening to him. With fewer than three years in the fight game and a schedule that's left him little time to hone his craft, Davis is the first guy to say he needs work.

"I've admitted: Yeah, I'm green," Davis joked. "I don't know what I'm doing, guys. You got me."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

2. Default

LOL, I like Davis and he IS a future beast in the UFC
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Great idea. He can still wins fights and contend for the title now but needs to improve in all areas, mainly his striking. He needs to stay in the gym and really focus on gaining new skills and strengthening his weaknesses and strong points. He will also need to get to another level to really beat the top tier lhw's. He would be able to become a better finisher as well.

I can't wait to see what he can do when he gets back. He has all the potential to be a great and I believe he will be.

WAR MR. WONDERFUL
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DayneFS View Post
    I can't wait to see what he can do when he gets back. He has all the potential to be a great and I believe he will be.

WAR MR. WONDERFUL
    Just think, thiago silva is doing the same thing. Even if jones does get through guys like machida, evans, rampage, a year or so from now he will have a couple more good contenders.

He just needs a world class striking coach, thats his main lacking point. I'm glad he isnt too high on himself and admits that he needs work. That's the spirit of a true competitor right there. Look forward to seeing his return, just wish it wasnt estimated at so far away, but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

I want to see him do well. Hopefully he trains JuJitsu more and more so he can continue to finish his opponents. I dont know how good his hands will ever get, but his grappling game is already great. Dont know about his bottom game though.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

gotta love his attitude! great approach after a very big win. i agree with hilbilly that his striking needs improvement out if everything, but even it is coming along. i much look forward to seeing mr wonderful in action again.

I think with alot of theese wrestlers getting critisized for not finishing fights has nothing to do with how green they are or their lack of knowlage/technique in theese areas.

I think it boils down to it being where they are most comfortable and relying on whats winning, Their lack of taking chance is all it is all theese guys could finish a fight with a sub or a big blow at any moment they just dont seize the moment when its there.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Thread Information