Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyoto talks Jon Jones & "the kick"

Default Lyoto talks Jon Jones & "the kick"

Lyoto Machida talks to Tatame.com...

And where did you take that kick from?

This kick is from Karate, it’s the Kanku Dai. When I started my preparation, after I did a hernia surgery, I couldn’t do everything in training, so my father (Yoshizo) told me to train three or four types of kicks and use them in sparring, but very carefully, because they hurt a lot, it’s like the elbow. When I came to Canada I met Steven Seagal, and he told “Lyoto, this kick will hit”. But I wasn’t worried to use it or not, I’d do it if the opportunity came. I came more relaxed to the second round and hit that. It’s not like it came from nowhere.

A lot of people pointed you as a possible threat to Jon Jones. Do you think your style is the best to defeat him?

I believe so, my style matches well with his. He’s very eclectic, has many resources, bu I have too, and my timing and distance would help me a lot.
    Lyoto Machida exclusive: “Everybody called me ‘Karate Kid’” :: TATAME
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I would not be against the idea of seeing Machida vs Jones next.
    I know Machida in theory needs one more win before a title shot, but his defeat against Rampage was a robbery and he dominated Couture with ease, and I believe that he would do a great fight against Jones.

Give Machida Vladddy... could be interesting.

Vlads only loss in past 7 bouts was to the champ.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

I personally think Machida is ranked way higher than Matyushenko, Machida would have nothing to win with this bout.

Quote Originally Posted by Pashak View Post
    I personally think Machida is ranked way higher than Matyushenko, Machida would have nothing to win with this bout.
    I feel ya....But in terms of the LHW's available to fight.. Vladdy makes most sense next to a rematch with Rampage if he gets through Hamill.

+ they both just faught and came out unscathed could be added to RIO
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhootYouGotOwned View Post
    Give Machida Vladddy... could be interesting.

Vlads only loss in past 7 bouts was to the champ.
    Ya that would be a very competitive fight...

Machida would destroy vlad. vlad also wants a remach with lil nog. Make that fight. Maybe have machida fight rampage again and the winner gets the a title shot. Rampage will beat hammil, lets not kid ourselves. But rashad will fight jones after he beats davis, so it could be a while before a title shot. Machida might get a couple fights before that.

Machida is imo the hardest fight for jones at lhw. The huge problem being that lyoto is a master of keeping distance and comes in when he wants to land his shots, but he would have to get past jones's insane reach just to be able to land something.

I think the winner of Rampage/Hamill should fight Machida for a title shot.The timing would work well,with Jones being out for abit,and Rashad taking a fight against Davis I think the number one contender wont be clear. I wouldnt mind seeing a rematch between Rashad and Machida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    I think the winner of Rampage/Hamill should fight Machida for a title shot.The timing would work well,with Jones being out for abit,and Rashad taking a fight against Davis I think the number one contender wont be clear. I wouldnt mind seeing a rematch between Rashad and Machida.
    Rampage just beat Machida, he doesn't need to win to earn another shot at him. If Rampage wins he's the #1 contender. If Hamill whens then a Hamill/Machida fight for #1 contender makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonJordan View Post
    Rampage just beat Machida, he doesn't need to win to earn another shot at him. If Rampage wins he's the #1 contender. If Hamill whens then a Hamill/Machida fight for #1 contender makes sense.
    Got to agree here. BS decision or not Page did win over Machida.
    Rashad should be the #1 if he wins. But if Davis wins(not happening IMO) then Quentin should be the next in line as Phil would need at least one more quality win before going for the gold.

Machida's kinda in a tough spot with all the top contenders being tied up right now.

We got Rashad/Davis, Rampage/Hammill, Forrest/Shogun. Bader is tied up fighting Tito. So who's left?

Thiago Silva maybe unless he has a fight, but they've already fought.

If Rampage wins, maybe they'll do Machida-Rampage 2, but that doesn't make much sense either.

I don't know if Jones fighting Rashad (if he wins) will work out either because it's so far off.

Vladdy vs Machida could work out, but Machida will likely destroy him.

So if Rampage gets the next crack at Bones (due to Rashad's fight being so far away), maybe Rashad will sit and wait again (if he wins). Or Machida could fight Davis regardless of the outcome.

So the way I see it is Rampage/Jones, Rashad waits (again) for his shot, Machida/Davis?

Only other option is if Henderson comes back over, but I don't really see that happening. Mousasi would be an interesting fight too. Or Machida/Sonnen
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Thread Information