Thread: Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie 2 Scheduled for ADCC

1. Default Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie 2 Scheduled for ADCC

Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie 2 Scheduled for ADCC - Bloody Elbow

It's the rematch many expected would never happen. At the Abu Dhabi Combat Club No-Gi Submission Grappling tournament in 2003 Eddie Bravo scored the most significant win of his career by beating legendary grappler (from a legendary family) Royler Gracie via triangle choke. Eddie Bravo was thoroughly thrashed by Leo Vieira in the next match at that same tournament , but the Gracie win was so significant that Bravo has managed to use it to help make a career in being a Jiu Jitsu guru while pushing his take on the Rubber Guard and his 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu schools.

Since then efforts from both sides have been made to make a rematch happen but it has failed to materialise thus far for one reason or another. Now it looks like it might finally happen as the official ADCC Facebook page announced the match up:
    ADCC will make 2 "masters" superfights on World Championships.

Fight time 10min
    Eddie Bravo VS Royler Gracie
    Mario Sperry VS Renzo Gracie
    Mario Sperry vs Renzo Gracie is a pretty great match up as well as both have been pioneers in the BJJ and MMA world with Sperry learning his craft under Carslon Gracie who was known for favouring the top game and almost having a wrestling mindset to the submission game which Sperry took with him when he co-founded Brazilian Top Team that has been home to the Nogueira Brothers, Ricardo Arona and Paulo Filho, to name a few. Sperry was also an early ADCC champion and Absolute (open weight class) champion in 1998. Renzo Gracie should need no introduction having found success in ADCC and MMA as well, his last MMA match being in Abu Dhabi last year against Matt Hughes.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

This is unbelievable.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Theodore Roosevelt

3. Default

This may not happen...

Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie 2 Possibly In Jeopardy - Bloody Elbow

If you've been a part of the grappling community long enough, or even just a keen observer, any news on an Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie rematch falling through should come as absolutely no surprise. Just over a week ago it looked like the ADCC rematch was on, and now its status is unknown. In this instance though, is it Bravo playing mind games or Gracie acting like a Prima Donna?

Bravo broke the following news a few days ago on his oofficial website's message boards making the first move of one-upmanship against his Brazilian rival:

I just got off the phone with vice president of ADCC Guy Nievens (sic) and he told me that Royler just called him and is now asking for 50k just to show up plus the 25k win bonus.

I have no idea why he's now asking for all that cash up front all of a sudden, 5 days after agreeing to the rematch and after doing interviews for Atame and Gracie Mag saying that "Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice".

ADCC is refusing to pay the 50k show money.

So my business manager is gonna set up a Royler relief paypal account asap. If 5,000 people donate just $10 the rematch is on.

Who's down?
    The article Bravo is referring to was published on the GracieMag blog based on a phone conversation with Gracie and GracieMag a week ago:

"Even though he beat me, every now and again I catch word that Eddie Bravo wants to go again," said Royler. Perhaps Bravo wants a sequel to prove it was no fluke. "So I'll let him have a rematch," said the Gracie, jokingly.

The match contract hasn't been signed, but to Royler it's a done deal: "I spoke with Renzo yesterday and the folks in Abu Dhabi really want to put together these two matchups, so I feel it will go through. I've never been out of shape, but it's always nice to have a good reason to train hard; it's a match a lot of folks have been asking for and one I'd like to do too."

Now about his match with Bravo, might Royler fear having another lapse and getting blindsided with another submission? Royler was quick to respond: "Lightning never strikes twice in the same place, nor kills the same horse."
    But it doesn't end there. Yesterday GracieMag posted an update to the ADCC 2011 participants and in its opening paragraph dismissed Bravo's claim:

"Don’t be fooled by the rumor-mongering: Royler Gracie still very much wants to face Eddie Bravo in the superfight announced for ADCC 2011 in Nottingham, England. We’re still waiting on more about that."
    And today, Bravo responds via his forums while rescinding his offer:

I decided against the Royler fund, if he doesn't wanna do it then I'm not gonna try to humiliate him by raising the money myself, it's a dick move and I don't wanna be a dick. But based on what GracieMag is reporting now, I think it might happen anyways, we'll see....
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

was actually going to post how this ain't happening cause as always, the Gracies are douches

Roylerls going to win...

Thread Information