Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UFC 130 Struggling at Box Office, only 4,500 tickets sold

Quote Originally Posted by beau420 View Post
    It's not that the fights and fighters on the card are shit.....it is that there is no title fight and no contender fight with any serious contenders (except for maybe Rampage....but even he will need at least 1 more fight before he gets a title shot)

There are a lot of mid card guys. No one exceptional.....maybe Thiago....but he's going to need probably at least 2 more fights.

Stann might get a quick easy ride to the top (that is to say, he could be given opponents who, stylistically, he would have easier matchups against....like fighting Jorge who hasn't fought in the states since 2007 and who I am sure the UFC will mention that he is a belt holder in Japan) He has improved drastically, but I don't think he will ever be a title holder, and if he gets a shot, I have a feeling it won't be pretty.

I will watch and enjoy....but on paper, I wouldn't be surprised if in one year at least a quarter of these guys won't be in the UFC....maybe closer to 40 percent.
    This.

It's a solid all around card but the UFC now has 7 divisions and there isn't a single title fight or #1 contenders fight on the card. I don't know how that happens. I understand obviously that Grey/Frankie was supposed to be on it but even as a title fight they should have surrounded it with a few more high profile fights. It's a solid card but with PPV's now costing $55 it's a tough sell. Absolutely no "wow" factor on this card at all.

A big problem the UFC is going to have is that they have way too many fighters under contract. Guys are fighting so infrequently that's it's hard for any fighter to develop some serious momentum or get the fans invested in any up and comers. Unfortunately with the UFC buying up all it's competitors fighters have no where else to go.

God I miss Pride. I never truly knew what we had until it was too late. I'm gonna go cry in a corner now.

It's not that the fights and fighters on the card are shit.....it is that there is no title fight and no contender fight with any serious contenders (except for maybe Rampage....but even he will need at least 1 more fight before he gets a title shot)

There are a lot of mid card guys. No one exceptional.....maybe Thiago....but he's going to need probably at least 2 more fights.

Stann might get a quick easy ride to the top (that is to say, he could be given opponents who, stylistically, he would have easier matchups against....like fighting Jorge who hasn't fought in the states since 2007 and who I am sure the UFC will mention that he is a belt holder in Japan) He has improved drastically, but I don't think he will ever be a title holder, and if he gets a shot, I have a feeling it won't be pretty.

I will watch and enjoy....but on paper, I wouldn't be surprised if in one year at least a quarter of these guys won't be in the UFC....maybe closer to 40 percent.
    Do you mean the main card guys or the entire card? Cause I think in a year all those guys from the main card will still be there.

A couple of real Debbie downers on this thread haha

I'm just pumped that we finally are able to watch entire cards now from start to finish. So stop your bitch and enjoy the fights

Quote Originally Posted by Chute_Boxe44 View Post
    A couple of real Debbie downers on this thread haha

I'm just pumped that we finally are able to watch entire cards now from start to finish. So stop your bitch and enjoy the fights
    Agreed... weak main event, but it wasn't designed that way

This is a very depthy card, and I plan on watching every fight on FB, Spike and PPV

I honestly thought that when Thiago Silva got caught with a needle in his butt and Frankie and Gray had to call it off they were going to make it a free card.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    Do you mean the main card guys or the entire card? Cause I think in a year all those guys from the main card will still be there.
    Entire fight card.

I can't remember the last time I watched a PPV where I didn't watch any prelims. And now with the facebook prelims....I don't even need to wait until the next day to watch them all.

I am hoping that someone will emerge as a huge prospect....and it could happen. Maybe Renan Barão is the next Charles Oliveira or maybe Demetrious Johnson will shine again and look amazing....I don't doubt something like that will happen....in fact, I am hoping for it.

I'm actually stoked for this card. I love watching Rampage, Struve, Nelson, Alves, Story, Stann and Torres fight. FOTN is going to Alves/Story for sure. And when they get Bones in the ring with 'Page after he wins, it's gonna be on. Even without Maynard/Edgar it's still a stellar card. And when they do finally have this 3rd LW title fight, I have a feeling it's not going to be as exciting as the 2nd fight was, not even close.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some shitty numbers from UFC 130. No real title implications...no crazy beef or rematch or much anything to hype.

I will be watching, but I thought that UFC 130 was lacking before Frankie and Maynard dropped out....no Brad Pickett, no kid Yamimoto, no Cody McKenzie, or Bart Palaszewski.

I am sure the event will be better than expected, but on paper, it is one of the weaker cards.
    Dudeeeeeeeee, No title implications? What? Am I missing something here?

If Rampage wins he will probably get the next shot at Jones.

The winner of Mir/Nelson won't be #1 contender, but will probably fight the loser of Carwin/Dos Santos to see who is the next in line after the winner fights Cain.

If Torres wins, he'll probably be next up for a shot against the Faber/Cruz winner. Sure Benavidez is probably ahead of Torres in line, but I wouldn't doubt the UFC brass fast tracking Torres to a title shot (esp. if Faber wins, since he trains with Benavidez).

Stann could be on his way to a MW title shot too, with one more solid win after this one (over Bisping or something like that).

And Story/Alves is going to be a drag-out war. If Story wins too, then he's right up there and near a title shot.

There's ALLWAYS going to be title implications when you've fighting in the biggest MMA league. Or pink slip implications as well. That's the way she goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I'm actually stoked for this card. I love watching Rampage, Struve, Nelson, Alves, Story, Stann and Torres fight. FOTN is going to Alves/Story for sure. And when they get Bones in the ring with 'Page after he wins, it's gonna be on. Even without Maynard/Edgar it's still a stellar card. And when they do finally have this 3rd LW title fight, I have a feeling it's not going to be as exciting as the 2nd fight was, not even close.

Dudeeeeeeeee, No title implications? What? Am I missing something here?

If Rampage wins he will probably get the next shot at Jones.

The winner of Mir/Nelson won't be #1 contender, but will probably fight the loser of Carwin/Dos Santos to see who is the next in line after the winner fights Cain.

If Torres wins, he'll probably be next up for a shot against the Faber/Cruz winner. Sure Benavidez is probably ahead of Torres in line, but I wouldn't doubt the UFC brass fast tracking Torres to a title shot (esp. if Faber wins, since he trains with Benavidez).

Stann could be on his way to a MW title shot too, with one more solid win after this one (over Bisping or something like that).

And Story/Alves is going to be a drag-out war. If Story wins too, then he's right up there and near a title shot.

There's ALLWAYS going to be title implications when you've fighting in the biggest MMA league. Or pink slip implications as well. That's the way she goes.
    Jon Jones will probably face Rashad (but Dana says no) or Machida (more likely) and Rampage should fight Rua or Rashad.....two wins in a row rarely gets anyone a title shot.....especially since the Lyoto fight was a split decision.

I love watching Stann fight, but do your seriously think he can compete with Anderson, Sonnen, Okami, Nate the Great, Vitor, etc.....and that's only the UFC guys...picture Stann vs Hector Lombard or Stann vs Tim Kennedy. I like to think Stann has improved that much, but I guess only time will tell. he still has a lot more climbing to do.

If Torres wins....and that is a big if....he will have to face Mizugaki again (which I found could have gone either way) or Bowles or Benavidez or Faber or Scott Jorgensen....my guess is two fights away from a title shot....but I am not convinced by Torres....these Alpha Male guys are wrestling beasts and Torres' last two fights he has faced fighters who aren't powerhouse wrestlers. And Mighty Mouse isn't that type of guy, but it will be interesting to see how the fight goes.

And like you said, Mir and Big Country aren't fighting for the #1 contender. And just think about when the UFC brings in some better HWs from SF...I think Mir and Big Country might fall further down the ladder....although I will be pulling for Big Country to take them all out.

On paper, this is no where close to a great amazing must see UFC, but that doesn't mean I am not going to watch it and love it. Usually these tend to be the best UFC PPVs....but again...it's not going to interest everyone....and PPV buys and the ticket sales will suffer.

Jon Jones will probably face Rashad (but Dana says no) or Machida (more likely) and Rampage should fight Rua or Rashad.....two wins in a row rarely gets anyone a title shot.....especially since the Lyoto fight was a split decision.

I love watching Stann fight, but do your seriously think he can compete with Anderson, Sonnen, Okami, Nate the Great, Vitor, etc.....and that's only the UFC guys...picture Stann vs Hector Lombard or Stann vs Tim Kennedy. I like to think Stann has improved that much, but I guess only time will tell. he still has a lot more climbing to do.

If Torres wins....and that is a big if....he will have to face Mizugaki again (which I found could have gone either way) or Bowles or Benavidez or Faber or Scott Jorgensen....my guess is two fights away from a title shot....but I am not convinced by Torres....these Alpha Male guys are wrestling beasts and Torres' last two fights he has faced fighters who aren't powerhouse wrestlers. And Mighty Mouse isn't that type of guy, but it will be interesting to see how the fight goes.

And like you said, Mir and Big Country aren't fighting for the #1 contender. And just think about when the UFC brings in some better HWs from SF...I think Mir and Big Country might fall further down the ladder....although I will be pulling for Big Country to take them all out.

On paper, this is no where close to a great amazing must see UFC, but that doesn't mean I am not going to watch it and love it. Usually these tend to be the best UFC PPVs....but again...it's not going to interest everyone....and PPV buys and the ticket sales will suffer.
    Good points dude, I totally agree.

But with Stann, I see improvement out of this guy every time he fights. He's just getting better every time around, so within a year I think he could compete for the title or beat the top guys.

And completely agree with Big Country. Allways rooting for the guy. I just want to see them put that UFC gold around that big belly. And the SF HW's won't really be crossing over any time soon, there's that whole tournament to play out (which may take another 2 years at the rate it's going). And only the tournament winner will walk in and be right at the top. I think everybody else will have to get through the UFC's up-and-coming HW's to get there (in which case, most of them won't).
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    Good points dude, I totally agree.

But with Stann, I see improvement out of this guy every time he fights. He's just getting better every time around, so within a year I think he could compete for the title or beat the top guys.

And completely agree with Big Country. Allways rooting for the guy. I just want to see them put that UFC gold around that big belly. And the SF HW's won't really be crossing over any time soon, there's that whole tournament to play out (which may take another 2 years at the rate it's going). And only the tournament winner will walk in and be right at the top. I think everybody else will have to get through the UFC's up-and-coming HW's to get there (in which case, most of them won't).
    Guess I stand corrected on Rampage. I just saw him on TV saying that if Rampage wins, he gets a title shot.

Not really that deserving, but it will help sell more tickets and help put Jon Jones over even more if he comes out and has another dominant performance.

I am eager to see how Rampage fights...and if Rampage loses...or has a lackluster performance....then what?

I am a little confused on how a lose to Rashad and a very close fight against Machida (Randy Couture thought Machida won).....and all he needs now is a win against Hamill to get a shot? DAMN...

Oh well...since Dana said it, actually wait....let's wait and see what really happens. He is probably just trying to stir some more shit up for the media to get more asses in the seats in the MGM Grand and in living rooms across the world.

(Saw Dana on CTV Sportsnet being interviewed by a random sports guy...can't find him saying the same thing anytime recently....I haven't hear him say that recently)
    Last edited by beau420; 05-28-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Thread Information