Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach Gil Martinez: Even with one leg, Gray Maynard would've fought anyway

Default Coach Gil Martinez: Even with one leg, Gray Maynard would've fought anyway

Coach Gil Martinez: Even with one leg, Gray Maynard would've fought anyway | MMAjunkie.com

by Steven Marrocco

Maynard had dispatched eight consecutive opponents to get his title shot. He fought anyone who was asked of him – one of them being Edgar. He didn't raise a stink when a lackluster win over Nate Diaz put Edgar to the front of the line for a shot at then-champion B.J. Penn at UFC 112. He went on to beat perennial contender Kenny Florian.

Somewhere in there, his patience frayed, Martinez said.

"I believe it did get to him," Martinez said. "If you're going to be fighting for a title and this is what you've been working all these years for – we didn't want to wait any longer. We fought in January first, and were made to wait until May over a broken nose (to Edgar). That's a long time, and Gray just did not want to push this any farther back.

"[UFC 130] probably would have been the best time for Frankie to fight Gray. Because we were having a horrible camp. We couldn't really do anything. He couldn't wrestle because of his knee; he couldn't spar because he had the cut."

It was so bad that Martinez and Maynard's other coaches brought up the possibility of withdrawing from the fight.

"We mentioned a couple of times, 'Maybe this isn't the right time,'" Martinez said. "He wasn't having it. He could have walked in there with one leg, and he would have fought."

I cant wait for this fight to happen.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Really. 1 leg. Riiiiiggghhhttttt.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Frankie takes the third fight. He didn't show enough respect to Gray's standup in the first half of the firrst round of the title fight and paid for it. But he'll win the next fight.

I agree, Frankie's hands weren't even up in that first round and when he came back and turned it on in the next few rounds, IMHO winning that fight, he won't be making that mistake again.

I'm looking forward to Edgar beating Maynard in their next fight.

I'd say that Maynard would have fought injured because the division is so stacked that if he missed the title shot, and someone else stepped in, it could be a long time before he got such an opportunity again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    I agree, Frankie's hands weren't even up in that first round and when he came back and turned it on in the next few rounds, IMHO winning that fight, he won't be making that mistake again.
    I agree 100%. Frankie has gotten better every fight he's fought. He'll respect Gray's power next time, especially on the inside. And he'll also know that he's taken Gray's best shots and almost won. What does Gray take out of that second fight? That he can throw everything up to and including the kitchen sink at Frankie and still be lucky to emerge with a draw?

Quote Originally Posted by pantomime horse View Post
    I'm looking forward to Edgar beating Maynard in their next fight.

I'd say that Maynard would have fought injured because the division is so stacked that if he missed the title shot, and someone else stepped in, it could be a long time before he got such an opportunity again.
    Agreed. I'm far more worried about Pettis than Maynard. Pettis is a freak who disregards mere irrelevencies like physics when delivering offense. I'd still back Frankie but I'm not nearly as confident.

Gray lost WAY more in the second fight than Frankie did.

Frankie will finish the job in their trilogy match.

I never thought i'd root for Frankie because I hate him for beating BJ for the title the SECOND time they fought and I honestly just wanted him to get beat badly after that. I was even rooting for Maynard come their second fight but after that fight was done was when Frankie had won me over.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

Ironically, I just finished watching Edgar/Maynard II.

I scored the first round 10-8, but I can see the argument for 10-7. Still, I thought a draw was a fair result.

Quote Originally Posted by DayneFS View Post
    Gray lost WAY more in the second fight than Frankie did.

Frankie will finish the job in their trilogy match.

I never thought i'd root for Frankie because I hate him for beating BJ for the title the SECOND time they fought and I honestly just wanted him to get beat badly after that. I was even rooting for Maynard come their second fight but after that fight was done was when Frankie had won me over.
    Honestly, if it wasn't for Frankie Edgar, I believe BJ would still be champion. He's a perfect foil for all of these wrestlers. His striking, takedown defense, and grappling would be too much for Maynard, Guida, Miller, etc, imo.

Thread Information