Thread: UFC Contender Roy Nelson Predicts the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix

Default UFC Contender Roy Nelson Predicts the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix

UFC Contender Roy Nelson Predicts the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix | MMAWeekly.com

by Damon Martin

“I love Grand Prix’s just for the fact that it takes a lot of politics out and the best man just wins,” Nelson told MMAWeekly Radio.

“What I don’t like about the Strikeforce Grand Prix was the left side of the bracket was pretty much all the tough guys, the other side’s not as strong as the other four,” Nelson said. “Like (Josh) Barnett fighting Brett Rogers, and (Andrei) Arlovski fighting Sergei (Kharitonov), that bracket over there is not as strong as (Fabricio) Werdum, Fedor, Overeem, and (Antonio) Giant Silva.”

“Sergei all you’ve got to do is put him on his back. I was in the corner when Jeff Monson beat him, that’s how I told Jeff to beat Sergei and he choked him out. Same thing with Rogers, put him on his back. Same thing with Overeem, you’ve just got to take his knees and his kicks and his punches away, so put him on his back. That’s what Werdum wants to do,” Nelson stated.

“Barnett will probably win the whole thing on the right side,” Nelson said.

“Whoever wins on the left is going to win the whole thing,” said Nelson

I just cant wait for the 2 fights to actually happen and overeem to show up.

Woulda been nice to see King Mo vs OSP.

Pretty much agree with all Roy says except. I think Barnett will be more of a challenge to whomever wins the other bracket the Nelson thinks
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

I think people over look how good Overeem's ground game really is. He's not on Werdum's level, very few are, but he's more than competent.
    "To be truly walking on the warrior's path, we have to bring our minds back to the time when we were not ashamed of our dreams; when reality had not yet frustrated our ambitions; when our desire was still too strong to be repressed, and our spirit refused to surrender in resignation; when we were not yet doctors, businessmen, or lawyers, but still wanted to be heroes, leaders, bodhisattvas. The first step on the way to being warriors is to get back in touch with our dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by WhootYouGotOwned View Post
    Pretty much agree with all Roy says except. I think Barnett will be more of a challenge to whomever wins the other bracket the Nelson thinks
    My one worry about Barnett is that the last guy who he fought that was good and still in his "prime" or at least no way off it, was Jeff Monson; that was 3 years (I don't know much about Geronimo dos Santos). I am guessing a training camp to face a greater fight is much different than a training camp to face a good fighter (...ignoring, of course his camp for Fedor....)

Roy also predicted Brock pulling out of the JDS fight near the end of TUF and that Carwin would fill his spot.

Pretty easy to say whoever wins on the left side will win the whole tournament.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

For some reason I was expecting Roy to just make funny jokes about the Grand Prix, but I do agree with whoever wins the left side will win.
    Gracie Barra Alaska, holla

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    My one worry about Barnett is that the last guy who he fought that was good and still in his "prime" or at least no way off it, was Jeff Monson; that was 3 years (I don't know much about Geronimo dos Santos). I am guessing a training camp to face a greater fight is much different than a training camp to face a good fighter (...ignoring, of course his camp for Fedor....)
    We could say the same for Reem then couldnt we?
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

I like roy's predictions. Im starting to like him more and more.

Is that how he told monson to beat him, when they fought?

Its easy to say get overeem on his back, but easier said than done. You would think that would be his gameplan for jds, but he didnt get him down. Guys like nelson and werdum with good bjj, but dont have top notch takedowns. That would be roy's plan to beat cain, but he would have a hard time getting him down. With all the trash talk werdum did and how this fight has been a long time coming overeem is going to ko him, very bad. I dont have barnett winning because i have rogers upsetting him. Barnett wins if he gets him down and subs him, but he may stand for too long and get ko'd.

Thread Information