Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan Apologizes on the Underground, sort of

It doesn't matter whether you think what Rogan or 'Page did was right or wrong. Thats your personal opinion. But for the future of the sport as a mainstream product presented to an international audience, you can't do these things. Marv Albert isn't calling Jackie MacMullan a "cunty" online, Tom Brady isn't pretending to motorboat Erin Andrews. If Dana White wants the UFC to be in the same discussion as the NFL, MLB, and NBA, he needs to put a stop to shit like this. It won't fly on the next level.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    It doesn't matter whether you think what Rogan or 'Page did was right or wrong. Thats your personal opinion. But for the future of the sport as a mainstream product presented to an international audience, you can't do these things. Marv Albert isn't calling Jackie MacMullan a "cunty" online, Tom Brady isn't pretending to motorboat Erin Andrews. If Dana White wants the UFC to be in the same discussion as the NFL, MLB, and NBA, he needs to put a stop to shit like this. It won't fly on the next level.
    LOL...cause Charles Barley never says stupid shit.

And a guy like Don Cherry always says nothing but positive comments about hockey players.

There are several outspoken commentators, who go against the grain.

Matter of fact, your Marv Albert was fired from NBC for that whole ass biting incident with some chick. Problem there is NBC is a company with a board of directors and stock holders.

UFC is a private company and can really do whatever they want. More like Vince McMahon than a Roger Goodell.

UFC can really do whatever they want.

People keep saying if UFC wants to get to that next level they need to do this or that. Fact is, they are already at that next level.

Here in Canada they are on one of out 3 main sports networks (including the fights tonight) the other sports networks will cover the event and will show highlights afterwards. Another sports network will show other MMA events. Difference is that we have warning when the TV comes back from commercials. This warning basically covers there ass.

In the states since sports and news and infomercials require no rating or warning, people can complain about anything and there isn't much they can do except overreact to comments of the few. Like the dozen people that complained about Janet Jackson even though their were 10s of millions watching.

I think the UFC likes that they have an edge on their commentary and it keeps it real.

I like Quadros as a commentator and the Bellator guys, but I know there would be a ton of people complaining if the UFC were to fire Joe Rogan.

I don't think a sports caster has to be a role model. And I don't think the UFC really cares about that either. They care if it affects sponsors, but that is about it.

In order to cull this the UFC should break from the mould and go the same route wrestling went. Change the rating to PG13.

You know who I don't want the UFC to cater too? Probably the countries they are trying to get into. China and some muslim countries where Joe Rogan would be killed for saying the things he does. Even for questions judges decisions after a fight. Man....you do that in Syria and you better hope and pray no one finds you, burns you with cigarettes, breaks your knees and legs, cuts you and slashes off your cock.

Should the UFC cater to these people too?

If you are vilified for calling someone a name outside of your place of employment there should be no consequences. Rogan should be able to call Barack Obama a racist if he wants. As long as he doesn't talk about it on a UFC broadcast it shouldn't matter.

Just like he is a strong proponent of marijuana. He never talks about that in the UFC events. I don't think it has had any affect on his job at all. I don't think it is any different.

He is not using the UFC as a forum to promote his own agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by beau420 View Post
    LOL...cause Charles Barley never says stupid shit.
    Of course he says stupid shit. He is a stupid shit. But saying stupid shit and calling a female journalist who covers your sport a "cunty" are pretty different.

And a guy like Don Cherry always says nothing but positive comments about hockey players.

There are several outspoken commentators, who go against the grain.
    See above

Matter of fact, your Marv Albert was fired from NBC for that whole ass biting incident with some chick. Problem there is NBC is a company with a board of directors and stock holders.
    Exactly, he was fired.

UFC is a private company and can really do whatever they want. More like Vince McMahon than a Roger Goodell.

UFC can really do whatever they want.

People keep saying if UFC wants to get to that next level they need to do this or that. Fact is, they are already at that next level.
    Of course they can do what they want, I'm not saying they can't. But if they want to be in the same breath as the NFL or NBA, they need to put a stop to it. And if you think the UFC is on the same level as the NFL, your nuts.

Here in Canada they are on one of out 3 main sports networks (including the fights tonight) the other sports networks will cover the event and will show highlights afterwards. Another sports network will show other MMA events. Difference is that we have warning when the TV comes back from commercials. This warning basically covers there ass.
    No idea what goes on in Canada. Never been there, never watched Canadian tv.

You know who I don't want the UFC to cater too? Probably the countries they are trying to get into. China and some muslim countries where Joe Rogan would be killed for saying the things he does. Even for questions judges decisions after a fight. Man....you do that in Syria and you better hope and pray no one finds you, burns you with cigarettes, breaks your knees and legs, cuts you and slashes off your cock.
    They already have Dan Hardy's Buddhist Prayer Tattoo Removed for UFC 111 Marketing - Bloody Elbow

I'm not arguing that in the grand scheme of things this isn't that big of a deal. But the problem is that people right now, at this second, are actively trying to get rid of the sport. You got some dinosaur in NY who has a hard on for keeping it out of his state. Nobody is trying to get rid of the NFL. The point is, with MMA being so young and still struggling to get past its "Extreme cage fighting" reputation, it can't afford for shit like this to wind up on FOXNEWS with one of those idiots screaming that this sport needs to stop. Just my $.02

If you look at boxing as an example too. Outspoken commentating help fix it as a sport in the late 90s. Thanks to Teddy Atlas and to a lesser extent Max Kellerman.

They have real commentaries and are allowed to think for themselves. A lot of former athletes turned commentators actually speak their mind and don't sound like a broken record...especially the older one's.

Look how beloved Bas Rutten's commentary is, but if he said what he said in Pride on Spike TV...all the stay at home moms would write in to TV executives calling for him to be tarred and feathered and run out of town.

You seem to take offence to the word cunty.

Watch some British comedy's, they use it much more than the word bitch. And it doesn't refer to women. It just refers to cunts. People who are acting like cunts. It is not feminine or masculine....it is all encompassing. My parents car drives like cunt. That fucking traffic light is a fucking cunt. There are some more vulgar explanations.

Here is something from wikipedia -

The first scripted use of the word in the United Kingdom was in the ITV drama No Mama No, broadcast in 1979
    Jerry Springer - The Opera was shown by the BBC in January 2005. The performance included the phrase "cunting, cunting, cunting, cunting cunt" (a description of the Devil). However, more controversy was generated by the Christ saying that he "Might be 'a bit gay'" than by the use of "cunt"
    In July 2007 BBC Three dedicated a full hour to the word in a detailed documentary (The 'C' Word) about the origins, use and evolution of the word from the early 1900s to the present day. Presented by British comedian Will Smith, viewers were taken to a street in Oxford once called 'Gropecunt Lane' and presented with examples of the acceptability of "cunt" as a word
    I know some people think getting MMA in NY is a huge deal, but unless you live in NY or if you are a part owner of UFC or another fighting organization, it really isn't on the mind of many people. It is sanctioned in over 45 states. And until that old man dies or is fired, MMA is going to have a hard time getting a home in NY. Like others have mentioned before....he makes money off the UFC's attempts to get legal in NY.

And if a chick calls a guy a dick....I don't think she is being sexist....and I don't think it's any different.

Quote Originally Posted by beau420 View Post
    If you look at boxing as an example too. Outspoken commentating help fix it as a sport in the late 90s. Thanks to Teddy Atlas and to a lesser extent Max Kellerman.

They have real commentaries and are allowed to think for themselves. A lot of former athletes turned commentators actually speak their mind and don't sound like a broken record...especially the older one's.

Look how beloved Bas Rutten's commentary is, but if he said what he said in Pride on Spike TV...all the stay at home moms would write in to TV executives calling for him to be tarred and feathered and run out of town.

You seem to take offence to the word cunty.

Watch some British comedy's, they use it much more than the word bitch. And it doesn't refer to women. It just refers to cunts. People who are acting like cunts. It is not feminine or masculine....it is all encompassing. My parents car drives like cunt. That fucking traffic light is a fucking cunt. There are some more vulgar explanations.

Here is something from wikipedia -

I know some people think getting MMA in NY is a huge deal, but unless you live in NY or if you are a part owner of UFC or another fighting organization, it really isn't on the mind of many people. It is sanctioned in over 45 states. And until that old man dies or is fired, MMA is going to have a hard time getting a home in NY. Like others have mentioned before....he makes money off the UFC's attempts to get legal in NY.

And if a chick calls a guy a dick....I don't think she is being sexist....and I don't think it's any different.
    I am not at all offended by that word, its a regular in my everyday vocabulary. Joe Rogan represents the UFC, whether he's on air or talking on an internet forum. Him using derogatory words toward a female journalist reflects poorly on the UFC. Whether you find it funny, offending, or don't care (like myself) it reflects poorly on a young sport that is trying to distance itself from the "Human cock fighting" days.

I am not at all offended by that word, its a regular in my everyday vocabulary. Joe Rogan represents the UFC, whether he's on air or talking on an internet forum. Him using derogatory words toward a female journalist reflects poorly on the UFC. Whether you find it funny, offending, or don't care (like myself) it reflects poorly on a young sport that is trying to distance itself from the "Human cock fighting" days.
    Yuppers.

lol at
    If Dana White wants the UFC to be in the same discussion as the NFL, MLB, and NBA, he needs to put a stop to shit like this. It won't fly on the next level.
    I'm hoping that's a joke. Well, it made me lol rather loud regardless if it is, or isn't.

I guess some of us forgot Bernard Hopkins opinion of UFC, or MMA. I'm sure that damaged his career and Boxing as a whole. Oh, wait - Boxing 'still' rakes in a million plus PPV buys per PPV, and not to mention the ridiculous amount of millions Boxers such as Hopkins, Mayweather, Pacquiao, etc etc make per PPV. I could go on and on, but what's the point? if you think that Joe Rogan's comment toward some cunty journalist will affect the future of the UFC, then that's what you'll think. Unfortunately, though - Joe Rogan's comment toward some cunty journalist won't affect a damn thing, except for all of the keyboard warriors feelings. At the end of the day, anybody that's actually anybody - doesn't give a flying fcuk. This brokeback bulls41t will be forgotten in a week.

I'm still scratching my head at people actually get offended by such a word that isn't even a fcuking word, lol. Baffled, I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lauzon View Post
    "Guillard is like, 'Oh, Joe didn't beat me. I beat myself.'" "No, I smacked you in the face with my fist, and you went down and I choked you. I'm pretty sure i'm taking credit for that."
    Quote Originally Posted by King Mo View Post
    "It's funny how some fans wanna be PC and shit, but then some of these same muthafuckaz wanna pay to see some organized violence. LOL! Or they boo if a fight ain't violent enough. LOL!"

Well Joe Rogan has said a number of times on his podcast if he could only do one thing it would be comedy. So if you are asking him to chose, he would quit the UFC.

He is not the type of guy to change for the UFC.

I think that one of the cool things about the UFC is that they have a comedian and ex tae kwon do fighter who really enjoys MMA and still practices BJJ as a commentator.

He is not a reporter. He is a color commentator. Goldberg is the journalist/reporter.

I would again liken it to pro-wrestling, where they have a fighter and an actual reporter. Same as boxing. Same as some other MMA coverage....like Bas Rutten or more recently at the It's Showtime event, Melvin Manhoef....or Mayhem Miller....or Stephan Bonnar or Frank Mir.

He is not a reporter, not a journalist, never claimed to be. He is a comedian who does commentary on fights for the UFC.

For those reasons I think he can say what he wants.

I think more people enjoy Rogan's commentary to a Stephan Quadros. One is a comedian/commentator and one is a stunt man/actor/drummer/commentator and journalist. I think one of those people who be a great way for the UFC to sell the clean cut cookie cutter appearance the UFC wants.

Now how many people do you think would be on board? Goldie and Quadros....Quadros is already on SF...sure he would be more than happy to fill in.

I think there would be a major uproar.

The UFC is still marketing their product to 16-40 year men....sure they want every demographic, but they can't afford to lose their core. I think the UFC doesn't really give a shit.

9. Default

All I kept reading is people so how other commentators commentate. No one is saying anything about his commentary, but what he says outside his job. How are you guys not distinguishing between those two?
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    First, learn how to spell "sensitive". Secondly, I am overly sensitive regarding stupid people and your comment about "I must have missed where he was arrested..." caused me to deem you in that manner, since I never said he was arrested. You took my comment and tried to make it something else.
    Kinda like how you tried to turn a valid criticism of Joe Rogan into a attack on free speech? So I guess you deem yourself in that "Stupid category" too then?

I'll take your resorting to pointing out a single spelling error as your admission that you've lost this argument and move on.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Thread Information