+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Joe Rogan Apologizes on the Underground, sort of

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    All I kept reading is people so how other commentators commentate. No one is saying anything about his commentary, but what he says outside his job. How are you guys not distinguishing between those two?
    True he said it outside the job but regardless of whether he is on the clock or not, as a UFC employee speaking on a mixed martial arts forum he is representing the UFC.

Many companies are instituting social media policies that regulate what you can say outside of the job. For example I work for a large mutual fund company. If someone on this site were to ask me what I thought about a certain fund, I wouldn't be able to answer the question because my company is afraid that an employee giving financial advice may be viewed as the firm endorsing that advice. Also if I in anyway associate myself with the firm they have the right to deem anything I say or do online as inappropriate and terminate me. For example if I post a picture of me doing a keg stand while wearing a shirt that had the firms name on it I would be fired.

The UFC may want to consider a similar policy especially since they are now encouraging their fighters to use twitter. What Rogan says in a public forum could impact the UFC's image and/or have a financial impact.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    True he said it outside the job but regardless of whether he is on the clock or not, as a UFC employee speaking on a mixed martial arts forum he is representing the UFC.

Many companies are instituting social media policies that regulate what you can say outside of the job. For example I work for a large mutual fund company. If someone on this site were to ask me what I thought about a certain fund, I wouldn't be able to answer the question because my company is afraid that an employee giving financial advice may be viewed as the firm endorsing that advice. Also if I in anyway associate myself with the firm they have the right to deem anything I say or do online as inappropriate and terminate me. For example if I post a picture of me doing a keg stand while wearing a shirt that had the firms name on it I would be fired.

The UFC may want to consider a similar policy especially since they are now encouraging their fighters to use twitter. What Rogan says in a public forum could impact the UFC's image and/or have a financial impact.
    He is not running for public office....it shouldn't matter.

If you got caught for a DUI should you be fired? If you were caught soliciting a prostitute, how does that affect your job at a mutual fund company. If you went to Amsterdam and smoked some weed, and those pictures were linked to your facebook account...should you be fired?

Best most recent example like that is in the news.

Weiner...that dude who might be running for mayor of NYC. That dude is outspoken and smart...same for Elliot Spitzer. That dude is brilliant when it comes to his job. But Weiner and his cock shot heard round America and Spitzer and his whoremongering, did not affect how they did their job.

Does the UFC have to vet every one of their employees? Especially the one's in front of a camera?

Being in the public eye does not mean you have to instantly stop what you are doing in your life and change it for the public and their perception.

Eddie Bravo has been on TV several times in UFC previews and has cornered a lot of fighters and works/worked for the UFC helping doing the video direction. He is even more outspoken about weed...he is usually higher than everyone else....he has been in fights outside of the ring...he has been arrested with a firearm (even though it was for his security job)

Should the UFC fire him because of his past?

There are more fighters with even more troubled pasts, should all of them be checked out? Not just the Miquel Falcao and others.

Why do some people like Rampage and Josh Neer or Tito get 2nd chances in the UFC? Should Chael never get another chance in the UFC again for his relator problems? And those are people that broke the law....arrested, finger printed and had to sit in a jail cell.....not calling someone cunty.

Quote Originally Posted by beau420 View Post
    He is not running for public office....it shouldn't matter.

If you got caught for a DUI should you be fired? If you were caught soliciting a prostitute, how does that affect your job at a mutual fund company. If you went to Amsterdam and smoked some weed, and those pictures were linked to your facebook account...should you be fired?

Best most recent example like that is in the news.

Weiner...that dude who might be running for mayor of NYC. That dude is outspoken and smart...same for Elliot Spitzer. That dude is brilliant when it comes to his job. But Weiner and his cock shot heard round America and Spitzer and his whoremongering, did not affect how they did their job.

Does the UFC have to vet every one of their employees? Especially the one's in front of a camera?

Being in the public eye does not mean you have to instantly stop what you are doing in your life and change it for the public and their perception.

Eddie Bravo has been on TV several times in UFC previews and has cornered a lot of fighters and works/worked for the UFC helping doing the video direction. He is even more outspoken about weed...he is usually higher than everyone else....he has been in fights outside of the ring...he has been arrested with a firearm (even though it was for his security job)

Should the UFC fire him because of his past?

There are more fighters with even more troubled pasts, should all of them be checked out? Not just the Miquel Falcao and others.

Why do some people like Rampage and Josh Neer or Tito get 2nd chances in the UFC? Should Chael never get another chance in the UFC again for his relator problems? And those are people that broke the law....arrested, finger printed and had to sit in a jail cell.....not calling someone cunty.
    Should it matter? I don't know but it does.

I can really see both sides.

On one hand you're right it doesn't affect his job directly. On the other hand if he says something that offended a group of people so badly they refused to watch UFC it could hurt the company and therefore it would matter.

If I got arrested for DUI, Smoking pot or soliciting a prostitute I absolutely would get fired. Whether my off hours activities influence my on the job performance or not it could very well impact the companies image.

If I have a client looking to invest a million dollars with the firm and googles my name and finds a picture of me smoking pot with a hooker on each arm could that make him change his mind? Yes it could, therefore my off hours choices could impact the firm.

Now granted, I don't think Joe calling some reporter C**ty is going to cause people to boycott the UFC, but the potential is there.

Edit: Where is that video in your sig from? That is sick.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Should it matter? I don't know but it does.

I can really see both sides.

On one hand you're right it doesn't affect his job directly. On the other hand if he says something that offended a group of people so badly they refused to watch UFC it could hurt the company and therefore it would matter.

If I got arrested for DUI, Smoking pot or soliciting a prostitute I absolutely would get fired. Whether my off hours activities influence my on the job performance or not it could very well impact the companies image.

If I have a client looking to invest a million dollars with the firm and googles my name and finds a picture of me smoking pot with a hooker on each arm could that make him change his mind? Yes it could, therefore my off hours choices could impact the firm.

Now granted, I don't think Joe calling some reporter C**ty is going to cause people to boycott the UFC, but the potential is there.
    Where would you draw the line. What about speeding in your car.....you get pulled over and one of your potential clients sees that you have been pulled over. Is that ok? What if the cop thinks you are acting strange and makes you do a field sobriety test and one of your clients drives by while you are blowing into a breathalyzer.

What if you are about to get on a plane and you happen to have the same name as a terrorist and a potential client sees? What if you needed government clearance for something and when you were 18 years old you got in a verbal spat with a girlfriend and the cops were called. Maybe your girlfriend was drunk and completely her fault, but cops could still detain you or even bring you down to the station....what if one of your potential clients was a neighbour? Or one of the cops?

At what point does it matter? Just because you haven't been caught doesn't mean you are squeeky clean. Everyone should know that. Bernie Madoff seemed like a nice guy to everyone around him until he got taken down. And there are a shit load of Madoff type guys out there that raped financial institutions and their clients and they got charged with nothing at all....should I trust Glenn Hubbard more than a Madoff because one is in prison? They should both be....but only one is. And I would rather have dealt with Spitzer and his hookers.

Edit: Where is that video in your sig from? That is sick.
    I think it might be Osawa Yoshimi...it is some 10th dan judoka....one of these dude - List of judoka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All good points and to be honest I don't know if there is an answer. I think every company has a different view on where the line is drawn. Ironically we had a situation like one of the examples you cited.

Two years ago we hired this 22 year old kid. He was a very bright kid and solid worker however, while doing his background check it turned out he was arrested for domestic abuse. From my understanding he had an argument with his girlfriend and the police were called. During the argument he had grabbed her car keys from her hand, this was enough for a domestic abuse charge and so he was arrested. They fired him over that past charge.

Is it right? I don't know, I really don't but by working for this company I agreed to follow their policies. Joe Rogan by working as a public figure has to understand that when he speaks about MMA in a public forum he is going to be seen as a representative of the UFC.
    My Favorite Fighters

All good points and to be honest I don't know if there is an answer. I think every company has a different view on where the line is drawn. Ironically we had a situation like one of the examples you cited.

Two years ago we hired this 22 year old kid. He was a very bright kid and solid worker however, while doing his background check it turned out he was arrested for domestic abuse. From my understanding he had an argument with his girlfriend and the police were called. During the argument he had grabbed her car keys from her hand, this was enough for a domestic abuse charge and so he was arrested. They fired him over that past charge.

Is it right? I don't know, I really don't but by working for this company I agreed to follow their policies. Joe Rogan by working as a public figure has to understand that when he speaks about MMA in a public forum he is going to be seen as a representative of the UFC.
    I just hope the media is smart enough to separate the two.

I am glad we don't hear him on UFC broadcasts saying that people should smoke weed, do shrooms and take DMT. Although I think it would be funny if he did.

On his podcast he freely smokes weed. Federally illegal, he talks about the times he has broken the law. Even talks about fighters getting through piss tests. He talks about a time where someone he knows injected piss up his pee hole and he pissed clean when he shouldn't have. UFC doesn't care about that.

He even talks about in his earlier days of UFC, he used to bet on a bunch of fights....especially with new guys he sees that the bookmakers don't know much about.

All of that stuff could be questionable in a political job, but for a UFC commentator, I am sure it doesn't matter and Lorenzo and Dana don't seem to care. They aren't a public company...they aren't bible thumping people from the bible belt....no board of directors to please. They make their own rules until then (well....I guess they have that Saudi dude who is a part owner, but I don't think he really has a say)

I love Joe Rogan, and everything he has to say. WAR ROGAN!
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

[QUOTE=beau420;829211]Is he using the British cunty or American cunty. If he is using the British cunty, then that is ok...it's less strong than the word shit....it is equal to the word bitchy. But some people in North America are really afraid of that word.QUOTE]

im confused the british use "cunty" in normal vernacular? as acceptable language,explain. cuz rogan is not british but he is he is a comedian with vulgar vocabulary in his possession.
    actually never mind joe apologized we should just drop the subject.

p.s. i like your sig every time i see it i remember ramma's quote about how judo throws arouse, its cool.

Kinda like how you tried to turn a valid criticism of Joe Rogan into a attack on free speech? So I guess you deem yourself in that "Stupid category" too then?

I'll take your resorting to pointing out a single spelling error as your admission that you've lost this argument and move on.
    Admission to losing an argument? No, we are arguing two completely different things. My argument is that you are a stupid fucking asshole and you won that one for me.

As far as freedom of speech, this entire article is due to one word. All this over a freaking word.

And by the way, I do deem myself as stupid, only I'm smart enough to know it.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information