Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spoilers - Clay Guida talks wrestling, Anthony Pettis talks about performance

I know people like Sheilds, GSP, Fitch, Askren get crap for blanketing people. But at least they TRY to advance position. Clay didn't try to advance at all, and he didn't even throw punches. He literally just laid in guard and defended submissions.

To quote Ben Askren:

"I might wrestle some dudes but guida didn't attempt to pass guard one time a whole new level of dry humping"

Pettis has a damn good guard, and he's a pretty tall dude.

Guida made Pettis work his ass off, he may not have done much damage but I guarantee you Pettis was a hell of a lot more tired than Guida at the end of this fight. It was what Guida had to do, and people aren't giving him any credit for the fact that he actually did exchange on the feet with Anthony more than he had to, and did land some good shots, and he was usually the one pressuring. Pettis' head kick was by far his most effective strike but outside of that he didn't really land much of anything at all.

Guida was landing some decent GNP, more than people are giving him credit for. People were all over Rick Story's balls after his last win, but people are going to rag on Guida for a more impressive performance against a more well rounded fighter? GTFO.

We just saw how Bendo DOMINATED Bocek, and he is a very strong wrestler and pettis handily won a decision against him. He is a total fighter and Guida shut his game down 100%. Its a good win for him.

I think Clay would have a chance against Frankie or Gray, especially Grey. He would just have to strike as little as he possibly could and initiate a grappling match as much as he possibly could. He'd prolly lose to Frankie due to his speed and excellent cardio, but I think he could potentially grind a victory out over Grey. He should have lost his fight against Frankie, and his split decisions over Diaz and Huerta were debatable. He got it taken to him by Siver to in their fight, he won, but it was Sivers first fight. Siver was able to take him down. Frankie slammed him and made it look easy in their last fight. I think Guida can take him down and win a decision lol

You gotta wonder how much Grey has been shying away from his wrestling training and focusing on boxing, Frankie looked like the man when they locked up in their last fight which is the total opposite from when they fought the 1st time.
    Last edited by dbader08; 06-06-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Are you guys just plain retarded? Guida was in half guard a few times, side control once and took Pettis back with both hooks at the end.

Y'all are talking like Pettis offered NO resistance from the bottom and Clay just laid there. Jesus Christ, Pettis was working his ass off from the bottom. Cla couldn't do anything because Pettis was throwing sub attempt after sub attempt with some wicked wrist control. For fuck sakes guys, at least understand what you're watching.

You do know that half guard isn't considered advancing positions in grappling

jacksons turned guida into a boring fighter, some ppl may not see his new style of not blocking punches with his face as boring but i do, i didnt like the gomi fight either, but it gets the wins i guess, and to fighters thats whats important, not as much to the fans tho
    Favourite fighters:
    HW: Overeem, JDS, Mitrione
    LHW: Rashad, Shogun, Mousasi
    MW: Sonnen, Bisping, Minowa, Weidman, Wanderlei
    WW: BJ Penn, Koscheck, Thiago Alves
    LW: Nate Diaz, Edgar
    FW: Jason Shotgun Young, Maximo Blanco
    BW: Hideo Tokoro

Guys, come on now.. look, as I stated in another Thread I really wanted Pettis to win, I've been a fan of his since his first fight in the WEC. But Clay put together a great game plan with his coaches to beat pettis. Clay 99% of the time he gives us fight of the night proformace or pretty close to. Clay tried to pass but could not, that was really all he could do. Pettis just had to many tools on the feet or on the ground. Hell I feel pettis was the one that came closest to finishing the fight. Clay is so close to a title shot and disnt want to do anything to mess that up, and I dont blame him. Hell most of on the fourms would have done the same if we were in clay's shoes.

1st Degree Black Belt American Kickboxing
    Belt: 2010 W.K.K.O U.S. Tournament Runner Up 132lbs.
    Silver Medal: 2011 W.K.A North American Tournament Runner Up 141lbs

I really feel bad for Clay and all the hate he is getting. Maybe I need to re-watch the fight because I didn't ever think at one point that he was really imitating Fitch or Shields... Maybe that's because my heart was beating so fast as each moment went by because I was afraid he was going to get caught at any second.

The fight didn't take place for 15 minutes on the ground or up againt the cage with Clay just latched onto Pettis while resting like people are making it sound. Don't forget he had Pettis' back by the end of the third round and most of the time when Clay Guida gets your back, it's bad news. Pettis fans should be happy the bell rang.

I even saw people elsewhere calling him "Lay Guida." ...This guy has done a lot in the UFC and given spectacular performances let alone he's actually a cool guy unlike some douchebag top fighters we have in the sport. Oh well... all the more reason for Guida fans to keep on cheering for him.

QQ

Thread Information