Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Renzo Says a Gracie Should Fight in Rio, but It Won't Be Him

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,472

    Default Renzo Says a Gracie Should Fight in Rio, but It Won't Be Him

    Renzo Says a Gracie Should Fight in Rio, but It Won't Be Him
    The UFC's August fight card in Rio de Janeiro is just about set, but one question remains: Will anyone from the first family of Brazilian jiu jitsu be a part of it?

    One member of that family, Renzo Gracie, says he feels strongly that a Gracie should be a part of the event. But Renzo says it won't be him, because he simply hasn't had time to prepare for an MMA fight with all the work it takes to run his own jiu jitsu school.

    "In reality, I can't," Gracie said on The MMA Hour. "I have no time now. I was planning to, I began the training, but my life is so crazy I couldn't dedicate 100 percent to that."

    Gracie said he would love to see his cousin Royce Gracie, the first UFC champion, fight on the UFC 134 card. And if not Royce, Renzo thinks someone named Gracie should be in the Octagon representing the family.

    "I hope Royce fights," Renzo said. "To have a Gracie fight there would be great -- great for the fans, to have someone from my family fighting. I hoped to do it but I don't have the time to concentrate to it."

    Renzo said his next competition will be an Abu Dhabi Combat Club grappling match with Mario Sperry, and then he'll begin preparing for another UFC fight.

    "For sure, I'll be fighting," Renzo said. "I would fight for free anywhere. That's how much I like this. The UFC is paying me, so how could I say no, but that's the reality. ... I love the sport so much."

    Renzo, who last fought against former welterweight champion Matt Hughes in April of 2010, said that when he does fight again he'll move down to lightweight. He also said that he's sure he'll continue to fight in the UFC and not move to another promotion, because of his respect for UFC President Dana White.

    "It's great," Renzo said of the UFC. "I love Dana. I've known Dana since before he was the UFC president and I've always had a great relationship with him."
    Renzo Says a Gracie Should Fight in Rio, but It Won't Be Him
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  2. Default

    Renzo vs Royce in a BJJ expo. Hell make it one of the freebies on Spike.
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,227

    Default

    This is why I dislike the Gracies so much. They think their last name gives them some kind pass to the top of the line. Maybe 15 years ago, but not now. The reason there are going to be no Gracie's on the Rio card is because none of them are good enough to be on the card. Save the room for the fighters that have actually earned the right to be there and aren't still living off a name that hasn't meant anything since Hughes pissed all over it in 2006.


  4. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    I get your point that current fighter need the slots, but it is overboard IMO to say that the Gracie name don't mean anything.

    The Gracies showed in the early years of MMA that ground fighting is effective. The Gracie name is one of the most respected in this sport and always will be.

    The Gracie name will always mean something...always
    Not to mention a big part of the Rio show is to try to market the UFC and Brazil's fighters to Brazil and the fans. The Gracie name would add to the shows marketability in Rio if you ask me.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  5. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    This is why I dislike the Gracies so much. They think their last name gives them some kind pass to the top of the line. Maybe 15 years ago, but not now. The reason there are going to be no Gracie's on the Rio card is because none of them are good enough to be on the card. Save the room for the fighters that have actually earned the right to be there and aren't still living off a name that hasn't meant anything since Hughes pissed all over it in 2006.
    roger gracie isn't good enough? i think he is. Also, your assuming things. How do they think there name gives them a pass to "the top of the line"? Top of the line would be a title shot. Fighting on a card in the homeland of the gracies, who ultimately are responsible for the ufc even existing. Also who are responsible for putting a HUGE part of the skillset needed to compete in MMA on the map, imo is not that big of a favor to ask on there part.
    THE AXE MURDERER

  6. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
    roger gracie isn't good enough? i think he is. Also, your assuming things. How do they think there name gives them a pass to "the top of the line"? Top of the line would be a title shot. Fighting on a card in the homeland of the gracies, who ultimately are responsible for the ufc even existing. Also who are responsible for putting a HUGE part of the skillset needed to compete in MMA on the map, imo is not that big of a favor to ask on there part.
    Yes I get it, they did a lot for MMA. But you do not see the NFL asking Dan Marino to come back and play a game just because the Super Bowl is in Miami.

    Outside of Roger, who is still pretty much an unproven talent, no Gracie is good enough to be in the UFC and therefore should not be anywhere near a card.

  7. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Yes I get it, they did a lot for MMA. But you do not see the NFL asking Dan Marino to come back and play a game just because the Super Bowl is in Miami.

    Outside of Roger, who is still pretty much an unproven talent, no Gracie is good enough to be in the UFC and therefore should not be anywhere near a card.
    When the UFC comes to Canada they put Canadian fighters on the cards which would not necessarily get put on another card in the states or overseas.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus


  8. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    And there are tons of Brazilians on the Rio card too. Doesn't need a Gracie freakshow fight on it.
    agreed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •