Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Grapplers Quest on June 18th NJ

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    68

    Default Grapplers Quest on June 18th NJ

    So i learned about grapplers quest being in Morristown NJ this June 18th and thats only an hour away from where i lived so i decided i want to try it out!! Only problem is the only submission training i have is what me and my friends do in my basement. and other than wrestling i did just a few years ago while i was in high school. So do any of my fellow posters have any words of advice? such as what for me to expect? would i put myself under beginner ect... any information from anyone with any knowledge on it will mean a lot to me!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,813

    Default

    hey man, you should enter Novice, provided that you do NOT tell them about your wrestling background as anyone that even has a single day of HS wrestling experience is supposed to be in Beginner category.

    training wise, train a lot of cardio endurance (sprints, intervals, etc) and scrambling. also, don't be discourage when stuff isn't running smoothly...BJJ tourneys are almost universally a huge mess. I've had to wait 6 hours in the past to compete and warmed up every 30 minutes. stay mentally poitive, focused and reassure yourself. maybe group meditation would be great

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    hey man, you should enter Novice, provided that you do NOT tell them about your wrestling background as anyone that even has a single day of HS wrestling experience is supposed to be in Beginner category.

    training wise, train a lot of cardio endurance (sprints, intervals, etc) and scrambling. also, don't be discourage when stuff isn't running smoothly...BJJ tourneys are almost universally a huge mess. I've had to wait 6 hours in the past to compete and warmed up every 30 minutes. stay mentally poitive, focused and reassure yourself. maybe group meditation would be great
    Thanks for the advice! but i was varsity all four years and team captain, winning a few tournaments and districts along the way, so i feel if i go novice it'll show that i lied about not wrestling before and i don't want to get in any trouble ya know? but then i look at beginner and i think its something like between 9-20 months of training and even though i roll with my friends and watch a lot of youtube videos ect ect, i'm sure its nothing like having a real instructor teaching you and practicing on a regular basis. And i've had summer wrestling tournaments where it was like 4 hours between each match so i dont think that should bother me to much, plus i'm looking forward to watching the more experienced guys roll too! I think it should be a good experience overall. Also since you said you've been to tournaments before should i really set a high pace since i think my matches are only 4 minutes or should i be patient and wait for a good opportunity to go for a takedown ect?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick56 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! but i was varsity all four years and team captain, winning a few tournaments and districts along the way, so i feel if i go novice it'll show that i lied about not wrestling before and i don't want to get in any trouble ya know? but then i look at beginner and i think its something like between 9-20 months of training and even though i roll with my friends and watch a lot of youtube videos ect ect, i'm sure its nothing like having a real instructor teaching you and practicing on a regular basis. And i've had summer wrestling tournaments where it was like 4 hours between each match so i dont think that should bother me to much, plus i'm looking forward to watching the more experienced guys roll too! I think it should be a good experience overall. Also since you said you've been to tournaments before should i really set a high pace since i think my matches are only 4 minutes or should i be patient and wait for a good opportunity to go for a takedown ect?
    Be patient. If you roll with someone who has more juijitsu experience (which is probably the case, or a better quality jj instruction anyway) if you rush in someone is going to capatlize on mistakes you made, this is what bjj is all about. Remember to breathe, and have fun. Goodluck brotha.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

    Theodore Roosevelt

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,846

    Default

    expect to get triangled
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgil View Post
    Be patient. If you roll with someone who has more juijitsu experience (which is probably the case, or a better quality jj instruction anyway) if you rush in someone is going to capatlize on mistakes you made, this is what bjj is all about. Remember to breathe, and have fun. Goodluck brotha.
    thank man! i'll let ya guys know how i do. Hopefully i dont get triangled but we'll see how it goes. my only big worry is that these people are going to be so fast at transitions from one sub to another since i do see myself making plenty of mistakes lol. Either way im excited about it and all the advice from you guys is extremely helpful , thanks so much!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick56 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! but i was varsity all four years and team captain, winning a few tournaments and districts along the way, so i feel if i go novice it'll show that i lied about not wrestling before and i don't want to get in any trouble ya know? but then i look at beginner and i think its something like between 9-20 months of training and even though i roll with my friends and watch a lot of youtube videos ect ect, i'm sure its nothing like having a real instructor teaching you and practicing on a regular basis. And i've had summer wrestling tournaments where it was like 4 hours between each match so i dont think that should bother me to much, plus i'm looking forward to watching the more experienced guys roll too! I think it should be a good experience overall. Also since you said you've been to tournaments before should i really set a high pace since i think my matches are only 4 minutes or should i be patient and wait for a good opportunity to go for a takedown ect?
    gameplan

    for example, I usually try to take it slow first 30 seconds, if someone tries to tie me up and engage i tend to still take it slow until half minute mark then explode and get it down. hold position and then work, i really turn it up 1-2 minute mark and try to finish.

    i also make sure to pack enough snacks and water etc. i usually bring some granola with peanut butter, good energy fruit like pears and apples and grapes and a plethora of water, athletic tape and gauze. never can be too sure

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Weighed in today, so pumped for Saturday. i'm in the 129 and under class. and theirs also this free take down only wrestling tournament...but im in the 174lb and under weight class. not too excited for that but oh well its only wrestling takedowns. but yeah i got a lot of water gatorade and some snacks to make it through the day

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    68

    Default

    can't put into words how much fun that was! such a great time. only bad thing was they said my match would be around 5...didn't start till 9 instead!! lol oh-well. i got to see a lot of matches and really got a better understanding of how scoring works and such. so i had a bracket of 4 people in the beginners no-gi bracket. i ended up taking first place, winning 6-0, and 9-0! little mad i couldn't finish anyone but they were some tough sob's. Each one actually came from schools and had just over a year of training each. and they both almost caught me in a triangle but i was smart enough to get out before they got locked in. all and all a very fun day and cant wait to do it again. thanks again for all the above advice you guys gave me

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,813

    Default

    congrats man!! !OSSSSS!!! I know that hyped feeling post some pics of the event if you got any!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •