Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shogun Rua calls for UFC to permit stomps

People keep on talking about things looking "barbaric", but knees to the head are extremely visceral and cause lots of cringes. So do elbows that bust people open. Stomps and soccer kicks were legal in JMMA for a long time, and so far they don't seem to be any more dangerous then other strikes.

Zombie is born!

Shogun is just mad that one of his best moves in Pride is illegal in the UFC. If the UFC allowed stomps, there's NO WAY MMA would be legalized in states like NY. Stomps are just unsafe if you consider that the guy on the floor head is 0-5 inches of the mat and he gets stomped, the back of his head will hit the mat with a lot of force. There's plenty of other ways to win and attack without stomps. Introducing a yellow card would be a good idea though. If a yellow card is given to fighters who are warned for inactivity but continue to be inactive, fights can only get more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpanky View Post
    Shogun is just mad that one of his best moves in Pride is illegal in the UFC. If the UFC allowed stomps, there's NO WAY MMA would be legalized in states like NY. Stomps are just unsafe if you consider that the guy on the floor head is 0-5 inches of the mat and he gets stomped, the back of his head will hit the mat with a lot of force. There's plenty of other ways to win and attack without stomps. Introducing a yellow card would be a good idea though. If a yellow card is given to fighters who are warned for inactivity but continue to be inactive, fights can only get more exciting.
    I think legalizing MMA in NY has more to do with politics then anything else. A diving haymaker to a blatantly unconscious opponent like Hendo did to Bisping is not any worse then Shogun stomping some guys in Japan.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    I think legalizing MMA in NY has more to do with politics then anything else. A diving haymaker to a blatantly unconscious opponent like Hendo did to Bisping is not any worse then Shogun stomping some guys in Japan.
    I'm not condoning Hendo's flying punch, but I think any given stomp to a downed opponent is likely to seriously injure the guy who gets hit. Critics who consider MMA barbaric will have even more fuel to burn if stomps are made illegal. There's a reason they were banned in the first place after the first UFC's: they're dangerous and don't add anything to the sport except more injuries.

The ref should have just taken a point away from Werdum for timidity.

Pride showed soccer kicks and stomps didn't suddenly make MMA more dangerous. Maybe someone can correct me but I can't recall any serious injury resulting from those strikes.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

yeah flesh wounds are way worse than broken bones... good one Shogun
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

We can both dream, Shogun.

I've never heard of any other fighter calling for stomps and soccer kicks to be allowed back into mainstream MMA competitions until Shogun now.

I just don't see the need for it personally, as I think the risks and out look far out weigh the bennefits in competition. I mean take a huge guy like Brock Lesnar beating on say Randy Couture in there fight. Brock could have stomped all over his face, and soccer kicked him as hard as he could - but if Brock had his other foot off the ground, basically a jumping one footed kick to Randys head, (WWE style) thats like 280lbs falling directly to the skull? Plus, stomps and soccer kicks don't require skill in delivering a perfect technique.

I think we'd see an increased amount of brutal KO's that end in earlier retirements to fighters and longer recovery times. We don't need either.

I'm in favour of soccer kicks to a grounded opponents body, but excluding the head is very important, as it would have stopped Werdum diving like he did, but kept him conscious to take a battering on his feet (which he thoroughly deserved!)

Yellow cards definitely.

And I think those people who are comparing Hendo's flying punch on Bisping to soccer kicks to the head are answering there own question - neither are/were needed.

my man Shogun....i'd like to see stomps in the game
    Machida | Shogun | Henderson | Franklin | W. Silva| Fedor | Condit | Cote | Mousasi | Huerta | Pettis| Cro Cop | Lister | Maia | T. Griffin | Carwin | Dos Santos | F. Griffin | Irvin | Nog Brothers | Lytle | Saunders | Guida | T. Silva | Alves | Sonnen | Miller Brothers | Barboza | Stout | Aldo | Hamill| B. Henderson

Stomps are maybe way too dangerous but soccer kicks should be allowed.

Thread Information