Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pederneiras says Florian’s elbows on Nunes “should be reanalyzed”

I don't believe any of the elbows were intentionally illegal. At some point the fighter defending has to take responsibility for the back of the head shots. In other words when the elbows are thrown..DO NOT turn your head to the side or you will be fed a steady diet of elbows and fists to the head. Kinda like a hockey hit when a player sees a guy bearing down on him and turns towards the boards and meets glass face on. It's almost a hit from behind but refs let it go and ask players NOT to put themselves in those vulnerable positions. The Elbows are thrown towards the front of the face.. turning your head into the canvas at the last second doen't make it florians fault, in my humble opinion.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    I noticed during the fight that the cuts looked like they were in borderline illegal spots. Elbow strikes from the bottom are still kind of a gray area, lots of guys throw 12-6 elbows off their back, even though in the rules it says 12-6 elbows are illegal.
    I was under the impression that 12-6 elbows were strikes that verticle with issue when a fighter is on the bottom his head would get pinned against the mat absorbing the majority of the force. The type of elbows Kenny throws off his back I would have thought would be classified as 9-3 elbows.

It is also not and illegal strike if the fighter turns his head/body in a fashion that results in him being struck in the back of the head.

Riv you call it punkass I just see it as good strategy especially for a guy who doesn't have k.o power. It makes guys think twice about going to the ground with Kenny and if does cut them than it can get them off their game like it did here. If a guy doesn't want to get cut he should protect his head and not get hit same as if a guy doesn't want to get knocked out. I would much rather get cut with an elbow than soccer kicked in the face so maybe you should step into the ring when you're calling some rules punkass and advocating others. Soccer kicks have the potential to do a lot more damage like broken jaws and orbital bones and its also a good way to get a toe in the eye which would result in very long layoffs to recover wereas stitches are only in for a couple weeks at most
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

dimerules28 Guest

Under these rules the guy on bottom should be allowed to do whatever the hell he wants. The juges already automatically give you the fight as long as your on top, and now were gonna take more weapons from the guys on the bottom. Ok obviously not ANYTHING but you get what Im saying.

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    Under these rules the guy on bottom should be allowed to do whatever the hell he wants. The juges already automatically give you the fight as long as your on top, and now were gonna take more weapons from the guys on the bottom. Ok obviously not ANYTHING but you get what Im saying.
    I don't think Pederneiras is saying that the elbows are dirty or whatever, he clearly states that he didn't even know if they were legal and that if they were legal he would teach his fighters to throw elbows like that off their backs. I for one think the elbows off the back are a great weapon and one of the only decent strikes a guy can throw when he's got someone in his guard.

Zombie is born!

Stomps and soccer kicks should totally be allowed imo if Brutal elbows can be allowed. Just look at the kind of leverage some guys can get behind their elbows (Jon Jones, Anderson Silva) and then you have people like Kenflo who always throw their elbows with the intent to cut. As rh said, its a pretty bitch thing to do. If a guy as freaskishly long as Jones can be in your guard and throw those kind of elbows, I 100% believe you should be allowed to bring your leg back and kick them in the face. I don't know a single person who wouldn't try doing the same exact thing in a real fight. Yet, when your sitting there taking hellacious elbows to the face, each which may impact your livelihood forever, you can't do a damn thing because of the rules. Honestly if I were Shogun I would have kicked Jones right in the mouth reguardless of the rules and been like WTF you expect me to do? lol

As long as fighters didnt stomp or kick to the back of the head (which they wouldn't), I don't see what the big deal is. Only allowing elbows is a HUGE advantage to people with a longer/lankier body frame, along with all the other natural advantages they have.

^Man, anyone who kicks someone with a toe in their eye is a dumbass, if you kick with your foot and your toes limp that won't happen. You'd pretty much have to hold your toes straight out and be aiming for their eye for that to be a possibility.I never saw that happen in pride out of all the soccer kicks that went on there.
    Last edited by dbader08; 06-25-2011 at 04:00 AM.

the elbows that hit the back of his head were thrown while he was looking at florian then he turned away while the elbows were being thrown, that is legal.
    Favourite fighters:
    HW: Overeem, JDS, Mitrione
    LHW: Rashad, Shogun, Mousasi
    MW: Sonnen, Bisping, Minowa, Weidman, Wanderlei
    WW: BJ Penn, Koscheck, Thiago Alves
    LW: Nate Diaz, Edgar
    FW: Jason Shotgun Young, Maximo Blanco
    BW: Hideo Tokoro

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    The posters talking shit and calling this an excuse need to rewatch that fight.
    I dont understand what you mean. Diego was turning away from the elbows to cause the significant blows when he was on the bottom. How is that illegal exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    ^Man, anyone who kicks someone with a toe in their eye is a dumbass, if you kick with your foot and your toes limp that won't happen. You'd pretty much have to hold your toes straight out and be aiming for their eye for that to be a possibility.I never saw that happen in pride out of all the soccer kicks that went on there.
    1. WTF does the bolded mean?
    2. In Maui Thai you don't kick with limp toes extend your foot down.
    3. It depends on the angle at which the kick lands. Even if the kick isn't aim at the eye area the guy could move his head in a way in which that kick could contact an eye. It is a feasable occurance.
    4. Just because you never witnessed it in Pride doesn't mean it can't happen. Doubt too many people who actually do BJJ would have expected to see someone get finished by a go go plata or even a twister but yet both have happened.
    5. How is a little bit of scar tissue that can be removed worse than having your face shattered?
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    ^Man, anyone who kicks someone with a toe in their eye is a dumbass,
    just to add on to what end it with a left said, you ever hear the story about mike winklejohn going blind in one eye cause someone didnt cut their toenails. It wasnt a stomp or a soccer kick but still man it can definetly easily happen. Nothing dumbas about it, although i do tink the guy on the bottom should be able to kick you even if your on your knees. Im of the beleif that the guy on the bottom should be giving all the weapons he can be given under these rules and with how fucking bias the judges are towards a guy on top. just my opinion

10. Default

Hey I'm not gonna say it's illegal but it's illegal. I'm not gonna say those elbows were illegal but they were illegal. Yeah yeah yeah, we get it.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information