Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pederneiras says Florian’s elbows on Nunes “should be reanalyzed”

Quote Originally Posted by end it with a left View Post
    It is also not and illegal strike if the fighter turns his head/body in a fashion that results in him being struck in the back of the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmythefish View Post
    the elbows that hit the back of his head were thrown while he was looking at florian then he turned away while the elbows were being thrown, that is legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chute_Boxe44 View Post
    I dont understand what you mean. Diego was turning away from the elbows to cause the significant blows when he was on the bottom. How is that illegal exactly?
    No. It absolutely doesn't matter if the fighter turns his head, it only matters where the strike lands. If it lands behind the head, it's an illegal strike. Intention doesn't play a role in whether it's a foul or not. It might be the difference between an NC or a DQ, but what matters is where the strike lands.

I don't have a problem with the fighter turning his head in defense. It's permitted by the rules, and if the rules allow for someone deliberately trying to cut you, I'm fine with giving the defender the option.

Riv you call it punkass I just see it as good strategy especially for a guy who doesn't have k.o power... Soccer kicks have the potential to do a lot more damage like broken jaws and orbital bones and its also a good way to get a toe in the eye which would result in very long layoffs to recover wereas stitches are only in for a couple weeks at most
    We can agree to disagree, but you're overlooking scar tissue that can reopen in later bouts pretty easily. Jaws and orbital bones can break from a variety of strikes, deliberately cutting someone can cause near-permanent damage or require surgery.

It also causes a shitload of blood intentionally, which is one of the main barriers to getting MMA breaking into the mainstream.

I think it's weak. Always have, always will.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

2. Default

I found this....

Back of the Head, Mixed Martial Arts Information, MMA Organizations

Striking to the spine or the back of the head. No direct striking attacks are allowed to the spine or the back of the head. A direct strike is an aimed and executed attack to the area. The back of the head is considered the direct center of the head with 1’ inch of tolerance to either side.
    If I'm reading the rules right then it reads as an intentional strike to the back of the head. Is that right?
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    I found this....

Back of the Head, Mixed Martial Arts Information, MMA Organizations

If I'm reading the rules right then it reads as an intentional strike to the back of the head. Is that right?
    Different states use different criteria, and it's not consistently enforced, regardless. McCarthy has talked about this in the past in a couple interviews.

You're looking at whether a fighter can be DQ'd or lose a point for an intentional shot, but a strike that lands to the back of the head is still considered a foul. An unintentional eye-poke can still stop a fight, and still result in a NC.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

according to BJM, any strike to the back of the head is actionable, but its not enforced. I think when a fighter is "playing the game" its best practice to halt action and warn both fighters. In the case with Mir/lesnar I, brock's shots were indiscriminate, he showed no signs of stopping, and thus the interruption was necessary. The point deduction was discretionary, but halting the action was not...at least in my opinion.

In the case where a fighter turns his head so the striker doesn't have a viable target, I don't think the striker gets to throw, period. Even from their back. There is too much at stake.

But I place the most emphasis on fighter safety. I'd rather have zero long-term or debilitating injuries than hope for every fight to be as exciting as possible. I know too many fighters and their families to see it any other way.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Well, that should've been brought up before the fight. Everybody, including Pederneiras knew beforehand that Kenny Florist.. err.. Florian is a cheater, and is very famous for intentionally trying to cut his opponents, which is a hoe move, btw. It's somewhat too late now, hello!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lauzon View Post
    "Guillard is like, 'Oh, Joe didn't beat me. I beat myself.'" "No, I smacked you in the face with my fist, and you went down and I choked you. I'm pretty sure i'm taking credit for that."
    Quote Originally Posted by King Mo View Post
    "It's funny how some fans wanna be PC and shit, but then some of these same muthafuckaz wanna pay to see some organized violence. LOL! Or they boo if a fight ain't violent enough. LOL!"

I'm actually quite shocked by the comments of many posters here. You throw strikes to do damage. Plain and simple. If you can make your strikes do more damage, they will be more effective. I don't see any difference in punkassness between an elbow that cuts a guy vs a punch that breaks a nose or a punch that swells up an eye. In each case, the goal is to intentionally cause damage to the other fighter. Damaging someone's vision/stamina with cuts is on par with damaging his legs with legkicks. It's all part of strategy in a fight.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefthookstcrook View Post
    I obviously dont know exactly how safe it is, But I wish punches and elbows all over the head were Legal.
    Blows to the back of the head are incredibly dangerous. Too many hard shots to the back of the head can result in permanant loss of equilibrium. Not to mention that a hard shot to the back of the head is going to end the fight REALLY fast. Fighter will be REALLY wobbly and get probably KO'd, when that same punch to the jaw probably wouldn't have phased him.

Quote Originally Posted by end it with a left View Post
    1. WTF does the bolded mean?
    2. In Maui Thai you don't kick with limp toes extend your foot down.
    3. It depends on the angle at which the kick lands. Even if the kick isn't aim at the eye area the guy could move his head in a way in which that kick could contact an eye. It is a feasable occurance.
    4. Just because you never witnessed it in Pride doesn't mean it can't happen. Doubt too many people who actually do BJJ would have expected to see someone get finished by a go go plata or even a twister but yet both have happened.
    5. How is a little bit of scar tissue that can be removed worse than having your face shattered?
    fair enough...I was a bit to extreme

It just doesn't seem like something that would happen that often, I mean its something you'd think most fighters would be careful about, you'd have to be throwing the kick from a weird angle and have someone move their had back drastically right at the right time for it to happen...

I can see keeping stomps banned, as I guess they really could fuck someone up, and yeah it really isn't safe for someone to be allowed to stomp a severely rocked opponent, which would also prompt earlier stoppages..and they are also in a 12 6 motion, and 12 6 elbows are banned so, yeah...but I still think soccer kicks should be allowed.

There are potentially serious injurys that can stem from soccer kicks and knees to a downed opponent, but its also legal to suplex someone on their neck. Its legal to front flip while someone has your back in an attempt to spike their head, at least Alan Belcher tried doing it to Okami and I never heard anything about it being illegal.

For anyone who wants blows to the back of the head to be legal, give yourself a light punch to the area in the back of your head right below where your skull ends and it becomes muscle, now imagine someone like karlos vemola hitting you there as hard as he possibly could...I'd say we need to keep that shit illegal.
    Last edited by dbader08; 06-25-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    No. It absolutely doesn't matter if the fighter turns his head, it only matters where the strike lands. If it lands behind the head, it's an illegal strike. Intention doesn't play a role in whether it's a foul or not. It might be the difference between an NC or a DQ, but what matters is where the strike lands.

rh
    How come The Cro Cop/Schaub wasn't called a NC or Schaub being dq'd as the k.o blow was to the back of the head.
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

Thread Information