Thread: Christian Morecraft is big, but UFC on Versus 4's Matt Mitrione has seen bigger

1. Default Christian Morecraft is big, but UFC on Versus 4's Matt Mitrione has seen bigger

Christian Morecraft is big, but UFC on Versus 4's Matt Mitrione has seen bigger | MMAjunkie.com

PITTSBURGH – As far as MMA heavyweights go, hard-hitting Christian Morecraft is a big one.

But compared to the guys who formerly tried to take his head off, Matt Mitrione (4-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) said the 265-pound Morecraft (7-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) actually is on the small side.

So as the NFL vet prepares for his main-card bout at Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 event, he's paying little attention to the weapons that made many of Morecraft's former opponents shudder in fear.

"You have to remember my old career was in the NFL," Mitrione told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) at Friday's open workouts for UFC on Versus 4, which takes place at CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh. "It's funny. A lot of times you hear, 'Oh, he's so big.' But Morecraft is a normal-sized human being to me. I'm used to people that are 6-foot-8 and 335 pounds. So a 6-foot-5, 270-pounder? OK."

So from a sheer size standpoint and in his slimmed-down state, Morecraft, who once tipped the scale at 360 pounds, isn't bringing anything to the table Mitrione hasn't seen in the NFL. Or in recent wins over the likes of Joey Beltran and Tim Hague. Or even in his training sessions.
    So when did Mitrione actually realize he had the talent to compete at the top level?

"The day I started," he said matter-of-factly. "I hope that doesn't sound arrogant. Well, I guess it does since it's me."

However, if that weren't the case, he never would have taken up fighting anyway.

"I have a lot of confidence in myself, especially when it comes to athletics and the mental side of anything," he said. "I've always felt like that. I wouldn't have gotten into [MMA] if I didn't."
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I gotta say to my surprise i'm a big Mitrione fan these days. I think he's shown alot of development since the tuf in his last few fights aswell. Seems to be picking up some decent skills at a fast rate. This is another solid test for him and i'll be cheering for him all the way sunday night!!
    FAVOURITE FIGHTERS:Shogun,GSP,JDS,BJ Penn,Fedor,Rampage,Hendo,Wandy,Sonnen,Frankie Edgar,Nick Diaz,Carlos Condit,Rory Mac,Mousasi,Cerrone,Rumble&Big Country.LEAST FAVOURTE:Anderson,Bisping,Rashad,Mir,Maynard,Shiel ds&Melendez.

I'm ambivalent towards Meathead. I like him I guess but he's kinda abrasive without being funny. I don't know this Moorecraft guy but I hope he puts on a great performance. I love seeing "no namers" whoop ass when nobody is expecting them to.

i wouldnt exactly call morecraft a no name. his only loss was the comeback win by struve. a fight he was winning. and then he beat sean mccorkle at a fight night. he has fought in the ufc before so this isnt like the first time we are seeing him.

i just looked up his fight record. prior to the ufc none of his fights made it out of the first round. in the ufc both of his fights ended in the second round. this should be a good fight.

i got meathead in this one though

Ok, maybe "no-name" wasn't accurate, but I saw an interview with him and Helwani recently and he called himself a lower tier guy. It was the first time I had ever seen him interviewed - I liked the kid he's spunky.

Mitrione is going to beat up Christian Morecraft. Plain and simple.

It's funny how I used to hate Mitrione on TUF but ever since after the show, I have been a fan.

I'm the same way. I hated him before I saw him post-TUF. To be fair, I met the guy and he was super down to earth (He trains at Duke's in Milwaukee and I caught him and Ben Rothwell at different times/different bars in Racine/Kenosha watching the fights).

im taking morecraft with the upset looked great his past 2 fights even though he got caught by struve when he was clearly dominating him.

then again struve and mccorckle are both bottom of the food chain heavyweights.

Thread Information