Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Submitting a much larger opponent

Default Submitting a much larger opponent

Hey all! so i finally found a pretty awesome submission wrestling/bjj school really close to my house. been going their for roughly 3 weeks now. So i have two tournaments this August and my coach said i should try my luck in the absolute division. any who, being about 5'3 weighing around 120-130lbs i tend to give up a lot of weight most the time during practice. not that its too big of a deal, i can use my wrestling experience to take their backs or mount but i find it hard to submit these big sobs.(i can win if we were scoring with points but i want the finish damn it!! lol) so far i've learned to forget to even try triangles or kneebars are people around 200lbs cause that just isn't going to happen. so i was just curious what would work best on someone much much bigger than you. the ones that worked best for me have been either arm bars or rnc's. pretty much all leg subs i go for never seem to work out. any ideas or suggestions on why might help me get a submission on someone who's bigger? i'm still very new to the sport and open to any suggestions you guys might have. and even if i don't do the absolute division these guys are still my practice partners so it would be awesome to submit them anyway

what the fuck? are you like 14 or do you have dwarfism?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post

...i'm 21 and 5'3. so if that means i have dwarfism then sure bud, i guess i do. now that we got that out of the way do you have anything constructive to say or any advice to give? and if you live anywhere towards north west new jersey, your more than welcome to come roll with me and get chocked the f*ck out by a dwarf. or are you just a key board warrior?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    It's interesting that he has no control over his height and physical frame, and yet you have complete control over whether you choose to be an asshole or not.

And yet you still choose to be an asshole.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rick56 View Post
    ...i'm 21 and 5'3. so if that means i have dwarfism then sure bud, i guess i do. now that we got that out of the way do you have anything constructive to say or any advice to give? and if you live anywhere towards north west new jersey, your more than welcome to come roll with me and get chocked the f*ck out by a dwarf. or are you just a key board warrior?
    sorry that i offended you i didnt mean to i was asking the question seriously i guess it didnt come across that way. when i said what the fuck i was referring to the fact that you are facing 200 pounders not your size.

as for advice, i dont really understand what kind of tournament makes 130 pund people go against 200 pound people but i would say go for chokes only. limb locks are very hard to do against stronger opponents even if you are in good position because its a test of strength in addition to jut superior grappling and bjj(ex. hardy/johnson fedor/big foot)

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    It's interesting that he has no control over his height and physical frame, and yet you have complete control over whether you choose to be an asshole or not.

And yet you still choose to be an asshole.

rh
    i was being serious...but whatever he is obviously sensitive about it so im sorry. i dont get why your hating on me rivet and what are you referring to when your saying im still and asshole?
    Last edited by IceCold48; 07-25-2011 at 01:47 AM.

I think Rick asked a great question for these boards. It's definitely something I, personally, am very interested in reading responses to.

Sounded kind of mean, Ice.

I'm surprised your coach suggested you should try your luck in the absolute division when 1) you have only been doing this for 3 weeks and 2) you would give up a significant size advantage.

That's just me thinking out loud but it obviously doesn't answer your question. When I grappled against guys 50+ lbs heavier, the only thing that seemed to work was RNC's. I pulled off triangles and arm triangles but the reason the former worked was because I hooked one of their legs ala Hominick/Edwards UFC 58, and the latter may cause you to lose position. Kimura's, armbars and guillotines never worked for me, as they powered out of each one. I did gi so we weren't able to do leg locks until we hit purple. Fancier submissions aren't recommended until you become more experienced, as they usually just cause you to take significant risks in losing position, which is why you rarely see them in BJJ competitions.

Your way to small and inexperienced to be in the absolute division, and even with more experience I would say your still giving up to much size to the BIG guys. RNC's are your best bet but honestly size does play a factor eventually,and its rare that I get submitted by someone much smaller then me, I would work on tricking them into giving something up, their is a choke you can try from full mouth. You reach behind their neck, grab the collar and then cross your arms grabbing the collar again and lean forward, forces a tap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Ice-sorry if i got a little upset about your comment i just figured you were trying to be a dick or something, but its all good though. no hard feelings

Also i have wrestled my whole life so i have a grappling background.(i even went to a grapplers quest and won first place in the beginner bracket) also me and friends would roll and an try submissions. so i have a decent sense of this stuff goes. but now im actually going to a place learning how to properly do things lol. However the thing is everybody i practice with is so much bigger than me and i do pretty well(i ususally get good positions and if it was on points i would win, i just can't get the finish!!), which is why an absolute division intrigues me. plus i don't think my coach would throw it out their if he felt i couldn't hold my own atleast. of course i will compete in my own weight class too, but how awesome would it be to win something like that?? i think it would be pretty sweet. plus im such a competitive person it would be a fun challenge at worse.

but i appreciate all the tips and comments you guys have since i'm really getting into grappling and a lot of you have so much experience i might as well take advantage of it and i've never really posted on these forums(even though i read through em all the time) so i guess i have to learn to explain myself and/or question better for you guys. thanks all!!!

you could possibly get an armbar, I armbarred this black dude at a party once who was a 3-a state qualifying wrestler who was like 35 pounds bigger than me Lol not that impressive for someone who didn't know how to defend an armbar but shit its not like i have any grappling experience so...it can be done.

if you get their back just act like your going hard for the choke, and when you hook one of their arms, use your other arm to push off their neck so you can swing into the armbar quicker. Cross your feet, with whatever feet is against their neck being the foot that is on bottom, making it harder for them to roll into it and power out of it. if you have a pretty strong core and are quick about it, you shouldn't have to worry about hooking their leg, as it seems like it kinda gives up a little bit of the power, and you would want as much power and to be able to crank on that arm as quick as you could with it being someone much bigger.

Also just work on getting a very powerful squeeze. I'm sure you could find videos on google or youtube explaining how to make it more powerful. According to eddie Bravo, sitting down and bringing your knee close to your chest and RNC'ing it will help it alot, though it kinda hurts your arm if you do it alot in a short period of time.

Either way, its going to be hard as shit to do against someone much bigger. There are weight classes for a reason.

Thread Information