Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Submitting a much larger opponent

unless you are a smurf version of marcelo garcia i would consider the absolute division tournament just for fun, but if you are serious i would stick to chokes and tiring out the comletition with transitions and top control and lots of stalling wristlocks, eddie bravo talks alot about working on your grip and your choke, for example an exercise where u sit with one knee bent and basically try to choke out your knee, pretend your kneecap is the head of opponent and try to cut his head off. marcelo may not be the strongest in terms of brute force but his chokes are as tight as any one pound for pound. do lots of calisthenics and try to google or youtube eddie bravo. have fun and good luck and dont take offense to ice, we joke around with each other on this forum no hard feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    unless you are a smurf version of marcelo garcia i would consider the absolute division tournament just for fun, but if you are serious i would stick to chokes and tiring out the comletition with transitions and top control and lots of stalling wristlocks, eddie bravo talks alot about working on your grip and your choke, for example an exercise where u sit with one knee bent and basically try to choke out your knee, pretend your kneecap is the head of opponent and try to cut his head off. marcelo may not be the strongest in terms of brute force but his chokes are as tight as any one pound for pound. do lots of calisthenics and try to google or youtube eddie bravo. have fun and good luck and dont take offense to ice, we joke around with each other on this forum no hard feelings.
    I wish i was a smurf version of Marcelo! and yeah im not taking any hard feelings so no worries.

I just watched that video of of Bravo showing how to choke out your knee, i'm a start doing that during down time. so far it seems chokes and positions are your best bet against someone bigger.

Chokes or ankle locks. No matter how big you are you still need blood flow to the head and ankles are fragile. I am 5'6 and walk around at 160 and roll regularly with my friend who is about 6'2 and 230. He beats me most of the time but when I do beat him its either with a RNC or an ankle lock.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    what the fuck? are you like 14 or do you have dwarfism?
    Lol Im 24, 5'6 and 125-130 pounds lol thanxs dude.

On Topic:

I've trained JJ for a few years off n on, and we're not much difference in size, so I can relate.

You dont know how many times I've been dumped on my head going for triangles, hooking the leg can be a life-saver.

But my personal fav against a bigger guy is most deffinetly the RNC or Guillotine. Us smaller guys are pretty good at scrambling, Thats where I'll land most of my stuff on bigger guys. I have naturally long arms which dont hurt either.

You said you have a good top game?, Then your styling. Trip the giant to his back, maintain position first, then stay busy. He wont like being on his back and eventually he'll make his move to get up.

Swing and take his back, or dive on the guillotine. Anyway you gotta choke these fuckers out imo lol!

Best of luck to yeah, keep us posted.

I am 5'6 and walk around at 160 and roll regularly with my friend who is about 6'2 and 230. He beats me most of the time but when I do beat him its either with a RNC or an ankle lock.
    Lol its a goodtime eh

Im 5'6, 130 and roll with my buddy regularly whose like 6'2, 200 and ripped. Hes a nut and would most likley rip my head off in a street fight. But everytime I wrap my arms around his neck and lock in a choke...its a goodtime lol, I know he aint going anywheres.

Im not a big fan of anklelocks in general. Most of the time your opponent can attempt one too, and Ive broken both ankles, one of them twice lol, not my cup of tea.
    Last edited by LefthookStcrook; 07-25-2011 at 10:23 PM.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Quote Originally Posted by Lefthookstcrook View Post

Lol its a goodtime eh

Im 5'6, 130 and roll with my buddy regularly whose like 6'2, 200 and ripped. Hes a nut and would most likley rip my head off in a street fight. But everytime I wrap my arms around his neck and lock in a choke...its a goodtime lol, I know he aint going anywheres.

Im not a big fan of anklelocks in general. Most of the time your opponent can attempt one too, and Ive broken both ankles, one of them twice lol, not my cup of tea.
    Yes it is when you get to tap the guy out. I like rolling with him because it takes me out of my comfort zone. When I go against a guy my size I go into wrestling mode and work off the top. With him I can not outwrestle him and work takedowns due to his size and the fact he also has a wrestling background. So I get to pull guard and look for sweeps and attempt submissions off the bottom for a change.

And your broken ankle story is why I like ankle locks. No matter how big and strong you are it still hurts like a bitch when someone twist your ankle.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

I never really thought about attacking the ankles to much, i'm going to try that tomorrow against the bigger guys and see how that works. seems to make sense though, other than a arm bar were they can just curl me up they cant do that too much with their ankles. thanks for that!

and yeah my takedowns are pretty good. especially some of my wrestling stuff that these guys don't know too well. and the nice thing about being.."compact" i can squirm and shrimp myself out pretty well and eventually take their backs. only bad thing is when im on top sometimes i just get plained out muscled when they do certain sweeps but i suppose thats going to happen sometimes.

I'm going to NAGA battle at the beach in wild wood New Jersey Agust 6th. idk if i'll do absolute but it just seems really intriguing and i want to give it a try. i also want to try gi but i've never practiced with one so that probably wouldn't be a good idea lol

7. Default

In Germany I rolled with some HWs (245-250) and I am 6'2 and walk at about 215-220

RNC is the best way. Control postion, pass and lock it up. Those huge guys (or anyone 30+ pounds larger than you can power out of most arm bars, triangles etc and can get you slamed on your head)
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

I know a smurf version of Marcelo, my trainer Rome. (I've trained at Marcelinho's before). and against larger dudes he most definitely recommends the guillotine or RNC (obviously after take the back) you gotta be slick and have perfect timing and technique not only against "much larger guys" but against much stronger dudes as well, such as dudes with a ton of wrestling experience. my two cents sir

Chokes work well on big guys. Are you competing gi, no gi or both?

So far it seems I'm a do no gi and gi. Although I've never wore a gi in my life and just borrowing one from a buddy at the gym. I'm thinking maybe a absolute division might just be out the question but who knows. I like all the advice and tips though, cause at worse I'll hopefully be able to tap out the bigger guys in practice lol :P

Thread Information