Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Submitting a much larger opponent

I wish there was a BJJ school here in this city...

I agree with most and say RNC and Guillitine is your smartest bet, their are other ones that could be effective but i'd stick to the basic's. Im bout 5 ft 10 155lbs and I cant recall the last time any of my bigger friends have gotten out of my chokes I fuckin spider monkey that shit!
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

armbars, especially inverted ones. if you have them in your guard and they're larger than you, and especially if you're all new to the sport, they'll be hanging their arms down waiting to get them torn off. work on inverted armbars where you can actually use your small frame to your advantage, in that you can scoot out and ride up the arm quickly.

also, althought kneebars and heelhooks are going to be off limits at your level, leglocks work well for smaller guys in scrambles. anklelocks and even achilles locks are something you should experiment with.

if you're doing gi, then the possibilites are endless. the gi takes away a lot of that size advantage with the constant threat of lapel chokes. have you tried mounted ezekials? work especially well against larger opponents who think they can just shrug you off
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    dude with the gi? X CHOKE FROM THE GUARD...it has never failed me in competition.
    that's small guy jiu jitsu 101... and playing that cross-collar lapel game opens you up to all sorts of junk. my favorite is throwing an armbar when they overcommit to blocking the cross-collar, and not letting go of the lapel
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    I wish there was a BJJ school here in this city...
    I know how you feel. My car is not near reliable enough to drive an hr and 15 minutes 4 or 5 days a week to make it to practice.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    armbars, especially inverted ones. if you have them in your guard and they're larger than you, and especially if you're all new to the sport, they'll be hanging their arms down waiting to get them torn off. work on inverted armbars where you can actually use your small frame to your advantage, in that you can scoot out and ride up the arm quickly.

also, althought kneebars and heelhooks are going to be off limits at your level, leglocks work well for smaller guys in scrambles. anklelocks and even achilles locks are something you should experiment with.

if you're doing gi, then the possibilites are endless. the gi takes away a lot of that size advantage with the constant threat of lapel chokes. have you tried mounted ezekials? work especially well against larger opponents who think they can just shrug you off
    hmmm, never thought of doing an inverted arm bar. i'm going to try that tonight and see how it goes! thanks for that

and when i do go to grappling tournaments i enter both no-gi and gi-division. although at my gym we don't train with the gi i do it just for fun and just go with the flow.

oh and i remember when i started this thread a lot of people were quick to say i was too small and shouldn't do an absolute division. well i went to a UGC grappling tournament in P.A. and did the absolute division and took second!! the guy who beat me was 196lbs and i was 126lbs. right off the bat i jumped at him an sank a deep guillotine choke in but couldn't finish :/ and ended up losing 6-2. (if i knew how i would try to post some videos) but i beat three guys all much bigger, stronger and much more experienced than me. plus all of your inputs from everyone has helped me greatly!!

Rick56 is the most Epic name ever hahahaha

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Rick56 is the most Epic name ever hahahaha
    :P hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by rick56 View Post
    Hey all! so i finally found a pretty awesome submission wrestling/bjj school really close to my house. been going their for roughly 3 weeks now. So i have two tournaments this August and my coach said i should try my luck in the absolute division. any who, being about 5'3 weighing around 120-130lbs i tend to give up a lot of weight most the time during practice. not that its too big of a deal, i can use my wrestling experience to take their backs or mount but i find it hard to submit these big sobs.(i can win if we were scoring with points but i want the finish damn it!! lol) so far i've learned to forget to even try triangles or kneebars are people around 200lbs cause that just isn't going to happen. so i was just curious what would work best on someone much much bigger than you. the ones that worked best for me have been either arm bars or rnc's. pretty much all leg subs i go for never seem to work out. any ideas or suggestions on why might help me get a submission on someone who's bigger? i'm still very new to the sport and open to any suggestions you guys might have. and even if i don't do the absolute division these guys are still my practice partners so it would be awesome to submit them anyway
    I wouldn't do absolute especially if it's a larger tournament because you'll fight guys who are a lot bigger than you. I'm a bit taller and a bit heavier and I separated my AC joint in my shoulder rolling with a guy who was 220 something, much like guys you could end up fighting if you do absolute. But if you're going to do it, watch this Marcelo Garcia video. He's a small guy but he takes bigger fighters' backs like it's nothing.

I can't figure out how to embed the video, just go to the link. The only Marcelo Garcia video that matters - YouTube

Thread Information