Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dissecting the Fedor "GOAT Legacy".

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    do you realize that during the years he was fighting there were almost no legit HWs in the world much less the UFC?
    Are you arguing for or against Fedor's record?

I'm assuming you are saying Cro Cop and Big Nog are the "legit" hw's and the rest are not? So Fedor has 3 wins out of thirty-some wins that are "legit" and the rest are questionable?

Not sure I follow your logic...

Very flawed concept I hate to say. Do you have any idea how many records start with tons of cans with a name thrown in somewhere in the middle? Brock Lesnar is about the only guy with a record of almost all familiar names.
    Is Fedor gonna go down in History as one of the greatest MMA Fighters of All Time? Probably Not..
    Especially when you look at records like Chuck Liddell, Dan Henderson, Frank Mir, Anderson Silva, Tito Ortiz, Quinton Jackson, & Rich Franklin.
    Chuck Liddell, Dan Henderson, Rampage, Franklin, Anderson, Couture, etc. all have records that start out with a record of 5 to 10 nobodies with a someday sprinkled somewhere in there. And chances are, they lost to that somebody (Liddell to Horn, Jackson to Eastman, for example). That's the case for MOST fighters who started fighting from 1999-2004. Most of the people on that list have lost to nobodies or B list fighters at best as well.

Ahhh, the icing on the cake. If there is one man's record to prove to the world that Fedor is not the greatest, it is the wonderful record of Tito Ortiz. Be serious, are you trolling? Tito Ortiz has wins over a handful of good fighters at best (Belfort, Tanner and Silva come to mind) with a adorable record of 16-8

That's a very weak argument. By your logic, Anderson doesn't deserve to be G.O.A.T. either.
    Last edited by Ramma; 08-06-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Frank Mir, Rich Franklin, TITO ORTIZ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Rampage will probably be comparable when its all said and done though and obviously anderson silva. GSP is right up there with him as is Anderson.

I also don't think Tiger Woods was ever that good a golfer, look how he has been doing in the last couple of years

why is this noob jack?
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    why is this noob jack?
    Because you can not take serioulsy a guy that says Fedor has fought bad competition and should have faced Rothwell or Kongo instead LMFAO

He also says that Fedor will not be remembered as one of the GOATS, however Frank Mir, Franklin or Tito will.

why are we arguing over the concept of greatest of all time, in a sport that's just, relatively speaking, starting out. MMA has been in the public's eyes for less ten years or so. most people have known about MMA for less then a year or two (I'm talking to you James Toney). We might as well argue who is the best fighter under the age of five. I think anyone would agree that Fedor was the best in the early days of MMA. It has evolved that fighters such as GSP and Anderson Silva are the GOAT's of the current stage of MMA. what we should be debating is who has the chance of being the greatest in the next 5-10 years, of whom is currently fighting. I would have to nominate Jim Miller. Maybe even JDS

Fedor will not be remembered as one of the GOATs but Frank Mir and Rich Franklin will? LOL
    Rich Franklin's record(Win, Lose, or Draw) with only his "Worthy" opponents looks a little bit more accomplished than Fedors worthy opponents:
    Forrest Griffin,
    Chuck Liddell,
    Vitor Belfort,
    Wanderlei Silva,
    Dan Henderson,
    Matt Hamill,
    Travis Lutter,
    Anderson Silva,
    Yushin Okami,
    Jason MacDonald,
    Anderson Silva,
    David Loiseau,
    Nate Quarry,
    Evan Tanner,
    Ken Shamrock,
    Jorge Rivera,
    Lyoto Machida,
    Evan Tanner,
    Marvin Eastman,
    Travis Fulton.
    (and I'm not even a big Rich Franklin fan).

Tito's record(Win, Lose, or Draw) seems a little bit more accomplished too:
    Ryan Bader,
    Matt Hamill,
    Forrest Griffin,
    Lyoto Machida,
    Rashad Evans,
    Chuck Liddell,
    Ken Shamrock,
    Ken Shamrock,
    Forrest Griffin,
    Vitor Belfort,
    Patrick Cote,
    Chuck Liddell,
    Randy Couture,
    Ken Shamrock,
    Vladimir Matyushenko,
    Evan Tanner,
    Wanderlei Silva,
    Frank Shamrock,
    Guy Mezger,
    Guy Mezger.
    (And I fucking HATE Tito Ortiz).

But you are right about Frank Mir. Going over his record again... it really ain't shit. hahaha.

omfg...yeah so 2 former UFC champs (blame FEDOR FOR ruining their career. yeah it's his fault they suck after Fedor sucked their souls out)
    What are you arguing here? Fedor destroyed their spirit because he's a beast. That's why they suck now. Fedor still owns their souls. So we actually agree on this.
    ???
    nor the fact that Mirko and Big Nog were the end all be all of HW MMA at the time Fedor destroyed Mirko on the feet and devoured Big Nog's soul on the ground...
    We agree on this one too. These guys were badass and Fedor owned them! Exactly. That's awesome and definitely a part of his accomplishments.
    Still wondering what you're trying to argue in these 2 comments. ???

I like how a lot of people missed this line though:
    Fedor fought 9 Cans EARLY in his career(sounds like Most fighters).
    I understand that when you start out you will be fighting a lot of people who are unknown, like Most fighters, like I said.
    But my main criticism comes from the 5 Cans he fought in PRIDE while he was slaughtering Great opponents & then his choices After PRIDE.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Rich Franklin's record(Win, Lose, or Draw) with only his "Worthy" opponents looks a little bit more accomplished than......................

Tito's record(Win, Lose, or Draw) seems a little bit more accomplished too:
    Win, lose or Draw? Seriously? I guess if I fought Fedor, Cain, Dos Santos, Nogueira, Cro Cop, Carwin, etc...but lost to them, it's still something to look at! Wins matter. Draws...a little. Losses...don't, unless there is controversy, and even then, not so much.

Also, listing familiar names like Travis Fulton, Marvin Eastman, Ken Shamrock and Guy Mezger doesn't make them quality wins. You're still taking a much better fighter and putting them in with a much lesser fighter. It's a mismatch. When I think of Lyoto Machida's quality wins, Tito Ortiz and B.J. Penn don't come to mind. Complete mismatches. When I think of Anderson Silva's quality wins, Carlos Newton and Chris Leben don't come to mind.

And sorry, but I still disagree even by your theory that Tito or Franklin have fought better competition. Especially when Fedor has fought and beaten more Top Ten fighters than any other HW in history. He's probably fought and beaten more Top Ten fighters than 99% of the fighters in MMA's history (because I could imagine GSP, Anderson or Hughes may have fought and beaten more).
    Last edited by Ramma; 08-07-2011 at 12:32 AM.

I always hate to see the all time great's in any sport go out on a sour note. Unfortunately it happens all the time in sports. The losses he has suffered as of late don't change my opinion regarding his body of work. The bottom line is this, Fedor dominated the HW division in a LHW's body for nearly 6 years.

Do I think Fedor's management made some bad career choices for him post PRIDE ? Yes. I think as fans we all would've loved to see him in the UFC. If we look on the flip side of things; I'm almost glad he never made it there, because to me it looks like Fedor just does not have the fire to fight like he once did in PRIDE.

Thread Information