Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Hamill retires after loss at UFC 133?

Default Matt Hamill retires after loss at UFC 133?

Matt Hamill retires after loss at UFC 133?
    Local UFC man made good, Matt Hamill, Loveland HS grad, is going to retire. Thatís a good and wise move, given he has lost his last 2 fights. The one Saturday night was especially horrific. Matt was taken down in the 2nd period and blasted repeatedly in the face and head. By the time the ref stopped the bout, Matt was defenseless. I know lots of people enjoy this sport. But when a guy you know is getting brutalized, itís absolutely the worst thing Iíve ever witnessed.

Matt will be OK. He has a gym in Utica, NY, is part owner of a new sports bar, I believe, and has had a movie done on his life.

Iím very glad heís done with ultimate fighting. No disrespect to those who practice it and follow it, but itís way over the top brutal and, to me, senseless.
    Matt Hamill retires after loss at UFC 133? - MMA News
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

huh?? really? thats kinda odd... i actually missed this fight, now im wishing i really had watched it.
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

MMAmania.com has confirmed with Hamill's manager today that the UFC light heavyweight "Hammer" is retiring from active competition.
    Matt Hamill retires from MMA - MMAmania.com

"To be honest with you, after 'Rampage,' he was done," Hamill's trainer and manager, Duff Holmes, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He told me, 'I just can't stand the constant pain.'"

The born-deaf fighter suffered several injuries throughout the course of his career in the UFC, including a pinched nerve in his neck that ailed him prior to the Jackson fight. He also re-injured his shoulder, which was separated in his December 2009 fight with now-champ Jon Jones.

"I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130, but my friends, family, coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance," Hamill wrote in his announcement. "My career has been plagued by injuries starting with 'The Ultimate Fighter' and disrupted my training ever since.

"There hasn't been even one training camp where I've been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body, and it has nothing left after 28 years of nonstop competition. It's time to finally give it a rest."

Hamill, a lifetime wrestler, and Holmes will continue to train fighters at their gym, Mohawk Valley MMA, in upstate New York.

"I couldn't be prouder of him, and he's taken me on this amazing journey he's been on," Holmes said. "He has nothing to hang his head about."
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/24732/ufcs...retirement.mma
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 08-08-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Kind of surprises me that Matt Hamill would retire like that, especially after a dominating loss. It's apparent he was never going to reach the top tier but he was still a tough fight for anyone. Hell, even Rampage couldn't finish him. (Which makes Gustafsson's win look even greater)

Sad story.

Btw, someone needs to buy some flowers for whoever wrote this article.

Am I the only one who didn't think Gustafson looked all that good?

Yeah, he threw some nice uppercuts, but his head movement was non existent.

Hamill's problem is that he's never really improved, if anything, he's gotten worse, because he developed confidence in his hands... ill placed confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by DayneFS View Post
    Kind of surprises me that Matt Hamill would retire like that, especially after a dominating loss. It's apparent he was never going to reach the top tier but he was still a tough fight for anyone. Hell, even Rampage couldn't finish him. (Which makes Gustafsson's win look even greater)

Sad story.

Btw, someone needs to buy some flowers for whoever wrote this article.
    Guy does smell a bit of the gina don't he?

what the fuck? this is a really big deal and very surprising after he took this fight on short notice.

why the hell did you post this in noob jack?

also what a biased idiotic reporter he might be horrible enough to work for espn.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 08-09-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    what the fuck? this is a really big deal and very surprising after he took this fight on short notice.

why the hell did you post this in noob jack?

also what a biased idiotic reporter he might be horrible enough to work for espn.
    It was posted in Noob Jack because when posted the source was not so solid. As you see, I updated it once it was confirmed.

"To be honest with you, after 'Rampage,' he was done," Hamill's trainer and manager, Duff Holmes, today told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). "He told me, 'I just can't stand the constant pain.'"
    So he basically just stole a paycheck from the UFC. This guy is all class and I won't miss him.

I think he was babied from Day 1 and it has done nothing but hurt him. He needed people to push him, and force him to improve. But instead he grinded by and never went anywhere, not sad to see him go,his pay frees up a spot for someone decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Thread Information