Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedor overrated?

Punk Ass Guest

Default Fedor overrated?

Wanted to make poll to see what the consensus was on this forum. Seems to be a pretty popular thread on the spot with mixed reviews.

As of 2010, when he was considered the #1 P4P and the best HW, did we overrated him?

thoughts?

For some reason it's not letting me make a poll, can that be fixed?

no. that's about it.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    no. that's about it.
    rep'd.

Harlem, why? just.......why.....

This thread is flame bait.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

I think it really depends on what you base your ratings on, IMO.

Fedor was a great fighter and a great person at heart. Can't we just appreciate the man for who he is? Forget what M-1 says and everything people say. He never claimed to be the best or chose his opponents. He fought hard and with soul, whoever you put in front of him. His story is a great inspiration for young people out there.

I'll give it to Pashak, he always asks what other HW in the history of MMA at this point has accomplished as much as Fedor and no one can answer him. That's worth a lot. He may not be the best current HW anymore but he is still an all-time great and should never be forgotten, no matter what Dana White says.

Not to hijack the thread but speaking of Dana White and his hatred towards Fedor (and also some issue that apparently got a lot of people worked up with Dana and Helwani)...

Dana White: “I really love to stick it to the Fedor fans because they’re such lunatics”
    http://www.fightopinion.com/2011/08/...t+Industry.%29

really? another thread about this?
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I don't think he is overrated when looking at his whole career. Like Big Nog and Wanderlai, Fedor is just no longer in his prime.

MMA has changed a lot but I really think age has caught up to Fedor. Yes, I know Dan Henderson is much older than Fedor, but athletes decline at different rates. (Look at how much Tiger Woods has dropped off in the past couple of years, and he is of similar age to Fedor.) Not everyone is like Henderson or Couture and can continue into their late 30s/early 40s, they are definitely outliers.

I think Fedor in his prime would have destroyed Dan in his prime. MMA math does not always add up, but watch video of Fedor and Henderson after their 2002/2003 fights with Big Nog, which Fedor won decisively and Henderson lost via submission. Fedor is 10X faster back than and his reaction time is so much better than he has displayed recently. Fedor of 2005 would not have gotten taken down by Big Foot, and would have reacted when Henderson went to take his back.

His reaction time has declined so much and his punching accuracy has also dropped.
    It is hard to know if he can get this back by changing camps, but I would love to see him move to the US and join a good camp, such as Greg Jackson’s camp.

it's cliche at this point, but michael jordan is no longer the best basketball player alive, but he is still the best in history. i hate this 'does losing tarnish your legacy' crap. the man ruled the sport for a decade and now age has caught up with him. does that mean he was overrated ten years ago? five? one? or more importantly... comparing him to anderson silva, do four losses at the end of your career leave more of a damaging mark than four at the beginning?

fedor never fought for himself, he fought for his family or his country or his god. at this point, maybe he really has lost the motivation he once had. henderson has kept getting hungrier, but fedor seems to want to move on.

now leave the man the fuck be!
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Michael Jordan was heavily ridiculed for trying to play baseball. Just saying....
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Greatest heavyweight ever? Yes

Greatest fighter ever? No

Best heavyweight in the world from 2003-2008? Yes

Best heavyweight in the world in 2009? Maybe, but I don't think so.

Best heavyweight in the world from 2010-Present? No

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    Michael Jordan was heavily ridiculed for trying to play baseball. Just saying....
    Then MJ won 3 more championships & set the record for most wins in a season to shut everyone up.

Fedor got finished by a natural middleweight. There's a bit of a difference.
    Last edited by Adambomb; 08-09-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

Thread Information