Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98-year-old woman becomes first woman ever to earn Judo's highest-degree black belt

1. Default 98-year-old woman becomes first woman ever to earn Judo's highest-degree black belt

98-year-old woman becomes first woman ever to earn Judo's highest-degree black belt on Shine

Is earning a black belt on your life list? Then this elderly woman in San Francisco just might be your ultimate hero.

Just two years before her 100th birthday, Sensei Keiko Fukuda has become the first woman to achieve a tenth-degree black belt—the highest rank in the martial art and combat sport Judo. Fukuda is now one of only four living people who've earned the tenth-degree (or dan) black belt. To put the accomplishment into better perspective, throughout history, only sixteen people have ever achieved this honor.

Related: The good news about aging

Fukuda began practicing Judo in 1935 and is the sole surviving student of its founder, Kano Jiguro. At her teacher's urging, she learned English to help spread Judo internationally.

During a time when getting married, building a family, and becoming a housewife was the norm, Fukudo bucked tradition, opting out of marriage to pursue the martial art.

"All I did was Judo...this was my marriage," Fukudo reflected tearfully to the San Francisco Chronicle. "This is when my life destiny was set. I just never imagined how long this road would be."

She described the Jiguro’s school, known as the Kodokan, as "old-fashioned and sexist about belts and ranks." In fact, an edict that prevented women from achieving any higher than a fifth-degree black belt kept Fukuda at that level for thirty years. She was finally elevated to sixth dan in 1972 when a woman's division was created.

Fukodo said she approached Judo and her life with the intent to "be gentle, kind and beautiful, yet firm and strong, both mentally and physically." Fukuda says this kind of beauty is decidedly not external. "A compassionate soul is inner beauty," she explained to the paper. "I believe this is true beauty...All my life this has been my dream."

Dream realized, the 98-year-old Sensei Keiko Fukuda continues to teach Judo three times a week at a woman's dojo.

There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

WOW
    Very admirable!

Sick how they kept her at 5th degree for 30years over some BS feminist rule. She rightfully should be alot higher then that.

Not to get off topic but my god mother is a 4 or 5th degree BB in TKD. Shes something like 50 years old, 4,11 and 120 pounds... and would tornado kick my face to jupiter.

Got to give props to the old dolls that can still kick ass! lol.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Only proves belts hold up pants not make you a better fighter.
    I can run behind her and puch her in the back of the head before she could spin that wheel chair around.
    Mad props for sticking with it for as long as she has.

ewe imagine grappling with that wrinkly old body
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    Only proves belts hold up pants not make you a better fighter.
    I can run behind her and puch her in the back of the head before she could spin that wheel chair around.
    Mad props for sticking with it for as long as she has.

that wasnt even funny...

thats awesome, good for her for sticking with it all these years. Hell just making it to 98 is quite the accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post

that wasnt even funny...

thats awesome, good for her for sticking with it all these years. Hell just making it to 98 is quite the accomplishment.
    Well thats good because it was not ment to be funny it was ment to be the truth.

i have never trained in an art that needed a belt

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    ewe imagine grappling with that wrinkly old body
    All he wrinkly old skin is like it's own thin smooth gi.

I am not a big fan of lifetime achievement awards, but then again, what is a belt rank really? Do they really mean anything? A lot really don't mean anything at all.

She also got a lifetime achievement award in 1990.

Wonder when the last time she actually hip tossed someone? 15-20 years ago?

I'd tap it
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Punk Ass Guest

I'll kick her ass, and I've only seen Judo vids.

Thread Information