• Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

9 36.00%
  • Anderson " The Spider" Silva

16 64.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shogun VS The Spider

1. Default

Anderson by KO
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Shogun definitely has the better and more powerful kicks imo I think he could definitely win this fight. He would fight this one much like his first fight with Machida, he wouldn't just come out super aggressive like he did against Bones. He fares much better when he picks and chooses his shots like we saw against Chuck, Machida, and Forrest.
    This would make for a great fight. Shogun has the best muay thai in mma, besides anderson. It should be consensus. Anderson has been known to have some excellent kicks of his own, we just havent seen too much of them in the UFC. Probably because he doesnt want to get taken down or doesnt need them to finish the fight.

Shogun has great standup, but this is anderson were talking about... He wouldnt be able to clown him, but as skilled and talented as shogun is, anderson is better in both. His hands are also superior.

Anderson wouldnt drop his hands down like he did against forrest or okami, and he couldnt get away with what he did to maia on shogun. but he comes out and gives his best and leaves no openings its going to be hard for shogun to get this one.

does anyone think that if Shogun was at 185 that he would be as dominant as Anderson? does anyone think that shogun and anderson will eventually fight?
    Dan "The G.O.A.T." Henderson

Member of the Demian Maia fan club

Anderson VS Shogun 2012 Dana make it happen

Quote Originally Posted by dmc_tim View Post
    does anyone think that if Shogun was at 185 that he would be as dominant as Anderson? does anyone think that shogun and anderson will eventually fight?
    No not at all, and hopefully they do fight.

Anderson is so dominant because he is so damn fast, accurate, and elusive. Shogun has (imo) always had way too sloppy punching. Even versus forrest, his punches seemed too wild. Anderson would pick his ass appart; Shogun is too slow and plodding, Silva would Matrix his attacks like Franklin & Forrest, his legkics wouldn't be very useful either i dont think. It would certainly be a fun fight though.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc_tim View Post
    anderson wont have the same reach advantage that jones did, so shogun wont have the trouble of getting to anderson like he did with bones, although the result in the fight may be the same. i just remember a lot of people saying that shogun could not beat machida and look what happened. he beat him twice and the 2nd time in devastating fashion. lets agree that Shogun has the best chance of beating anderson than anyone in the UFC at 185 or 205 besides bones jones.
    Silva is way more evasive than Jon Jones not to mention his striking accuracy is on another level. This is yet another fight that wouldnt leave the 2nd round.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Silva is way more evasive than Jon Jones not to mention his striking accuracy is on another level. This is yet another fight that wouldnt leave the 2nd round.
    I agree that with everything you said in this thread, except where Anderson puts shogun away early. Anderson would make shogun pay for every mistake but when was shogun ever really in trouble standing? Shogun has legit muay thai himself. I see this as very one sided decision or more likely a doctors stoppage in the later rounds from the accumulated damage.

Anderson knows who he can and cant clown. You would never see him drop his hands against guys like vitor, rampage, shogun, machida, hendo, etc. Okami and Forrest cannot compare to those guys... as they would get KTFO themselves by them.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    No not at all, and hopefully they do fight.

Anderson is so dominant because he is so damn fast, accurate, and elusive. Shogun has (imo) always had way too sloppy punching. Even versus forrest, his punches seemed too wild. Anderson would pick his ass appart; Shogun is too slow and plodding, Silva would Matrix his attacks like Franklin & Forrest, his legkics wouldn't be very useful either i dont think. It would certainly be a fun fight though.
    because he knows Forrest can't take a punch.

Look at how technical he was in the first Machida fight. I think he would utilize alot of kicks and fight really patiently and go for the takedowns/gnp versus Anderson. He would keep trading hands to a minimum. Look at all of Anderson's fights, he barely trades hands with anyone ever unless he is countering. A shogun in great shape can beat anderson imo.

Even if Silva would win, no way in hell he would drop his hands or matrix Shogun. Please don't compare Shogun's stand up to people who have no power at all in their hands or kicks, and who aren't as un-predictable or as versatile.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    because he knows Forrest can't take a punch.

Look at how technical he was in the first Machida fight. I think he would utilize alot of kicks and fight really patiently and go for the takedowns/gnp versus Anderson. He would keep trading hands to a minimum. Look at all of Anderson's fights, he barely trades hands with anyone ever unless he is countering. A shogun in great shape can beat anderson imo.

Even if Silva would win, no way in hell he would drop his hands or matrix Shogun. Please don't compare Shogun's stand up to people who have no power at all in their hands or kicks, and who aren't as un-predictable or as versatile.
    I do agree that Anderson wouldnt be able to clown him. But if it turned into a technical muay thai fight, nobody beats Anderson 205down in mma.

As good of a striker as machida is, anderson is better. Id put machida at 3rd, shogun at 2nd, and anderson at 1st for the best strikers in the UFC. Anderson is not easy to kick, we dont even see too many fighters try that on him now, but watch some of his earlier fights. Shogun having good takedowns? not sure about that, he has a very bad takedown % and not the best TDD himself. Still he does have vicious gnp when it does go there though.

I said that Anderson wins for sure, but standup wise this would be the toughest fight 205down.

I got Silva by speed, game planning, and mental toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    I do agree that Anderson wouldnt be able to clown him. But if it turned into a technical muay thai fight, nobody beats Anderson 205down in mma.

As good of a striker as machida is, anderson is better. Id put machida at 3rd, shogun at 2nd, and anderson at 1st for the best strikers in the UFC. Anderson is not easy to kick, we dont even see too many fighters try that on him now, but watch some of his earlier fights. Shogun having good takedowns? not sure about that, he has a very bad takedown % and not the best TDD himself. Still he does have vicious gnp when it does go there though.

I said that Anderson wins for sure, but standup wise this would be the toughest fight 205down.
    Shogun doesn't have the best takedowns but he is definitely better at taking people down than defending the takedown. Plus, he is good at pulling off that standing leg lock, though he failed at using it versus Jones, though he got him to his back once but Jones quickly reversed. Plus, Anderson would be fighting at 205, its different than defending a takedown at 185, I'd imagine, though Shogun is not a very big 205er. Shogun was able to take down Nog, Overeem, and Forrest a few times who is a better wrestler than Silva imo. Shogun also would not be afraid to fight Anderson like alot of people who fight him are.

Even if Shogun's takedown % is not that great, sometimes he is relentless with his attempts and when he gets on top he has a very good ground game and ground and pound. Do you have a statistic on his takedown %? Anderson defended the td easily against Okami but Okami looked horrible and didn't set it up at all. He never even tried to go for a single or a trip from what I remember, just stayed clinched with Anderson.
    Last edited by dbader08; 09-06-2011 at 03:51 AM.

Thread Information