Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The best striking style?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabong
    Thats not even a question. Muay Thai is hands down the most effective way of striking standing up in competitive sports and self defense.
    I don't agree with Muay Thai - I say Krav Maga, the Israeli Self Defense System, check it out: http://www.kravmaga.com/krav01.html

krav maga is pretty much just israeli sambo. less of an indivual focused art, more of a mixup of the most effective points of other arts. i think the thread is more addressing individual standup arts.

i consider a specific style to be something with hundreds of years of tradition, and organized competition
    something like boxing, karate, tae kwon do, muay thai, kickboxing, etc.

krav maga is just straight up killer art, and outside of the military, the teachings are altered because of a difference in situation. last i checked you wont be fighting anyone who has a gun, or just want to kill them ASAP.
    Favorites
    HW: Cro Cop | Barnett | Gonzaga
    LHW: Rampage| Shogun
    MW: KANG | Sakuraba | Spider Silva | Baroni | Akiyama
    WW: Thiago Alves | GSP | Mach
    LW: Gomi | BJ Penn | Aoki | Jamie Varner reppin' AZCS | DIDA
    FW: KID

9-7 in sig/av bets

The Bas Rutten System
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

i do muay thai so i will say that
    Fav fighters
    HW fedor, randy, AA, nog, brock, junior dos santos
    LHW chuck, rampage, wandy, babalu, forest, shogun,
    MW silva, bisping, franklin, hendo, maia
    ww GSP, hughes, davis, alves,

Quote Originally Posted by Afro View Post
    The Bas Rutten System
    kick him in the nuts!

If we are talking pure striking like kickboxing, tae kwon do, muay thai, etc.... then it is definitely muay thai. Muay Thai can be used in any stand up situation. Close, far, bending down, etc.

If you add martial arts with combinations of striking and grappling, then muay thai is right up there with them... it really depends on what situation you find yourself in.

Quote Originally Posted by Afro View Post
    The Bas Rutten System
    100% Agreed... "Oh whats this, the side of the table? Oh heres your head, dangidy dangidy dang!!"

Bas and a toss up between Lyotos karate style, and Andersons style of fighting. IMO

BUT really theres no BEST striking style, its the way the fighters USE there own styles in fights.
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

most of the best strikers in the world have background in muy thai. anderson silva is the prime example...arguably the most dangerous striker in the sport and the form he uses? muy thai.

It's really hard to say what the best striking style is. It really depends on the situation and the fighter more than anything else.

Muay Thai is going to get a lot of votes obviously and rightly so. It's an extremely effective art of striking.

But, has anyone watched Savate? They have amazing footwork.
    "To be truly walking on the warrior's path, we have to bring our minds back to the time when we were not ashamed of our dreams; when reality had not yet frustrated our ambitions; when our desire was still too strong to be repressed, and our spirit refused to surrender in resignation; when we were not yet doctors, businessmen, or lawyers, but still wanted to be heroes, leaders, bodhisattvas. The first step on the way to being warriors is to get back in touch with our dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by MirJitsu View Post
    But, has anyone watched Savate? They have amazing footwork.

ha, FAG!!!

heh, i keed, i keed. savate is a very scientific martial art, and it even comes with a side of silly shoes. i wouldn't be surprised if some silver-glove savateur (just a plain badass name) makes waves at some point due to the lack of mma 'press-time' the sport gets.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Thread Information