Thread: Kickboxing Legend Peter Aerts to Retire After June 30th Fight With Tyrone Spong

Default Kickboxing Legend Peter Aerts to Retire After June 30th Fight With Tyrone Spong

Kickboxing Legend Peter Aerts to Retire After June 30th Fight With Tyrone Spong

After collecting over 100 victories in a career that spanned nearly 25 years, kickboxing legend Peter Aerts has announced that his June 30th match against #7 ranked heavyweight kickboxer Tyrone Sprong will be his last.

In a true testament of his character, Aerts will be going out in the same fashion in which he came, by taking on the best; his first professional fight saw him square off against fellow legend Ernesto Hoost, and now he will be going out, win or lose, against a top prospect in Sprong. Known for his trademark head kick finishes that earned him the nickname, “The Dutch Lumberjack,” Aerts built his reputation through vintage battles with the likes of Hoost (five times), Jerome Le Banner (four times), Semmy Schilt (five times), and Ray Sefo (three times). Having competed in every K1 tournament except for 2009, Aerts also earned the moniker “Mr. K1,” taking home tournament gold in 1994, 1995, and 1998, and placing second in 2001, 2006, 2007, and 2010.

Aerts’ crowning achievement by far was his devastating run through the 1998 K1 World Grand Prix, in which he dispatched all three of his opponents in 6 minutes and 43 seconds, a record that held until 2009, when it was broken by Semmy Schilt. As a HUGE fan and close follower of his career, I would personally like to wish Mr. Aerts all the best in his future endeavors on behalf of everyone here at CagePotato, and have compiled a brief look back at some of his greatest hits below, starting with his first rematch against Hoost that took place at the 1993 K1 Quarterfinals.
    Kickboxing Legend Peter Aerts to Retire After June 30th Fight With Tyrone Spong | | Cagepotato
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Known for his trademark head kick finishes that earned him the nickname, “The Dutch Lumberjack,”
    I always thought his nickname came from how he chopped people down with low kicks... Makes more sense imo. Aerts is one of my favorite fighters, he's still looking pretty good but he had to retire some time. Definitely a candidate for kickboxing GOAT.

Zombie is born!

He should have stepped away last year. That's just how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    I always thought his nickname came from how he chopped people down with low kicks... Makes more sense imo. Aerts is one of my favorite fighters, he's still looking pretty good but he had to retire some time. Definitely a candidate for kickboxing GOAT.
    Yup, and the flannel he would wear out to his fights.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Yup, and the flannel he would wear out to his fights.
    Known for his trademark head kick finishes that earned him the nickname, “The Dutch Lumberjack,”

Thread Information