Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golf

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Golf gets very pricey very fast.

I mean there is green fees, cart rental, case of beer......

But hey you cant play without the BEER!!!!!!!!
    Pretty sure it's against the rules. Fees I pay are usually around $25-35. Lots of courses around, so it helps keep the prices down. How are they around you guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

2. Default

They are between 30-50 here in SW VA

When I was in Europe, they are VERY pricey over there. The little local 9 hole course in Garmisch Germany was 45 euro so like 60 bucks for a nine hole piece of shit

I played at a European PGA course in Lisbon (we lied and said our handicaps were 2) LOL but we paid about 185 dollers for those 18
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

I started playing golf about 6-7 years ago.

My busiest year on the links was about 4 years ago when I wasn't working. I went at least once a week. It was great.

Last couple years I would only go out maybe once a month.

Not sure what type of course you guys play....but I have played course from 20 bucks to courses that cost 150 bucks.

I usually try and play courses around the 35-42 dollar range.

Ottawa has the 2nd most golf courses per capita in North America (behind Murtle Beach). We have a lot.

Big difference here between the cheap ones and the good ones are the cheap one's are usually boring farmer field courses...with shitty greens.

Huge variations of courses here too. From links courses to courses with lots of trees and elevation changes.

Last couple years I have also made a week long trip to an area an hour North of Toronto where they have some beautiful huge courses. Basically courses built in a National or Provincial Park that are just ridiculous....most do not even allow golfers to walk because of the distance between holes and elevation changes.

I have not improved much of my golf game for the past 3 years. I am pretty much the same.

I make it a point at least twice a year I play using strict rules. No gimmes at all, no mulligans, no free drops nothing...I found it helped me. You would be surprised how many people actually miss 1 ft putts at least once in an 18 hole course.

Yep, I golf... I am TERRIBLE, but like you guys are saying, it's a laugh to get out with 3 of your buddies, in the sun drinking beer for 4 hours

Of the T I'm ok, not great not bad... I would say the strongest part of my game are my irons, fom like 150 yards in... and then once I get to the green it's a disaster haha

But yeah, golf is a laugh

Here in Alberta though, unless I wanna go into an indoor range or something, I spend my time on outdoor hockey rinks, and up on the mountains in the winter time

Quote Originally Posted by NLRepublic View Post
    Yep, I golf... I am TERRIBLE, but like you guys are saying, it's a laugh to get out with 3 of your buddies, in the sun drinking beer for 4 hours

Of the T I'm ok, not great not bad... I would say the strongest part of my game are my irons, fom like 150 yards in... and then once I get to the green it's a disaster haha

But yeah, golf is a laugh

Here in Alberta though, unless I wanna go into an indoor range or something, I spend my time on outdoor hockey rinks, and up on the mountains in the winter time
    My uncle who lives near London/Kitchner Ontario golfed every month of the year except for the month of January. There was no snow on the ground at the start of December and the snow melted before the end of February.

I always thought it would be hard to golf in a city where the weather goes from 35 to -35 Celcius (from 95 to -31 Farenheit) I golfed this past year on the hottest day of the year where with humidex it got up to 45 degrees Celcius/117 Farenheit and walked.

People say that golf isn't a sport. To those people, I contest that they try playing an entire round where it is 45 celcius with the humidity then tell me golf isn't a sport.

I personally like golfing in super heat...rather that than cold weather where I tighten up after the first 9 holes and my game is all over the place.

But I have golfed at 13 degrees....a year ago I did it for a week straight. Golfing wearing two gloves and hat (touque)

Golf is an underrated sport that so many athletes from so many sports play....and it is great office talk with most executives.

6. Default

In Germany, we (couple of Army buds) decided while drunk, to play snow golf. We took Orange balls out and just used the wedges. Did not work to well, we got hammered and lost dozens of balls. I don't think it even crossed our minds that we could not see the hole. LOL

But hey it was fun!!!!!!!!
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

I used to, but not anymore. I'll still head out to the driving range every now and then. I'm decent at the range, but suck on a course!

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    I used to, but not anymore. I'll still head out to the driving range every now and then. I'm decent at the range, but suck on a course!
    Last year I only played my driver maybe 6 times during the 10-15 times I played.

I played 3-4 rounds where I didn't use any woods at all and just used irons.

I love hitting the range and wacking the shit out of a ball....but my slice is crazy.

And I have no problem playing without a driver...getting outdriven by friends, but beating them at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by beau420 View Post
    Last year I only played my driver maybe 6 times during the 10-15 times I played.

I played 3-4 rounds where I didn't use any woods at all and just used irons.

I love hitting the range and wacking the shit out of a ball....but my slice is crazy.

And I have no problem playing without a driver...getting outdriven by friends, but beating them at the end of the day.
    You know how the saying goes........"drive for show, putt for dough". Short game will be a bigger factor in a low score than driving distance.

What killed it for me was about 6 or 7 years ago, my wife was really getting into golf. She signed us up for a weekend course down in Florida at a John Jacobs school. It was so intense.........by the end of the weekend, my hands were badly blistered. When I got home, I was done. I didn't pick a club up again for probably 2 years.

I do find that it is somewhat like riding a bike. I can go to the range and hit them fairly decently after not having been there for a long time.

We actually have 2 courses on our street. One is gorgeous and fancy, and has green fees to go with that. The other is a par 3, and the most casual place you could ever go. Heck, you could play in a pair of shorts and barefoot if you wanted. Would be a perfect place to host an "MMA News Forum" golf outing!

I love to play golf. I am ok. I try to hit up the driving range before I go out and play for real. My best quality is that I don't get pissed if I make a bad shot. I see my buddies (and my dad) freak the fuck out when they hit the ball bad. I just say fuck it and drive the fuck on.

Thread Information