Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Diaz vs. Anderson Silva, @ 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Degenero View Post
    Silva would have a huge size, reach and skill advantage. Results would be the same as Leben v. Silva.
    Really? You feel that Diaz's skill set is on par with Leben, and that Diaz would do no better? Wow. No offense to Leben, but I think Diaz is on another level entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    This^

Silva would obliterate Diaz within the first round. He is way too fast, way too strong/big, and way too skilled for Diaz.
    Diaz's hands are pretty fast too. Strong and big? Silva is only 1" taller than Diaz, and if they're fighting at 185lbs, both may be 10lbs heavier come fight time. How do you know Silva is stronger than Diaz? Neither fighter is overly muscular - both are pretty lean. You are just making an assumption. As far as skillsets go, I would give the edge to Silva, but not by enough where I don't think it would be an interesting matchup. Diaz brings a completely different style to the table, different from Belfort - Silva has never fought anyone with a similar style to Diaz.

Sure Diaz had fought at MW before, but he's a small one. Silva is a guy who cuts from HW numbers to get to 185. Sure, GSP has good stand up, but how would he do against a Jon Jones or a JDS? Diaz has good boxing, but Silva is on another level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Sure Diaz had fought at MW before, but he's a small one. Silva is a guy who cuts from HW numbers to get to 185. Sure, GSP has good stand up, but how would he do against a Jon Jones or a JDS? Diaz has good boxing, but Silva is on another level.
    GSP against Jones or JDS??? Firstly, JDS is 3 weight classes above GSP, and Jones is 2 weight classes above, so I don't understand the comparison. Secondly, GSP's standup is not on the same level as Diaz. Speaking of "levels", I don't think there is another level above Diaz's striking in MMA. I would agree that Silva has better standup than Diaz, but I do not agree that it is "another level".

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    GSP against Jones or JDS??? Firstly, JDS is 3 weight classes above GSP, and Jones is 2 weight classes above, so I don't understand the comparison.
    And Silva is in a different weight class as well, and has fought as high as LHW.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    Secondly, GSP's standup is not on the same level as Diaz. Speaking of "levels", I don't think there is another level above Diaz's striking in MMA. I would agree that Silva has better standup than Diaz, but I do not agree that it is "another level".
    I would say GSP has better stand up the Diaz, but Diaz has better boxing. There is a difference. And the underlined is just ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

5. Default

My thought is once Silva gets your rhythm down no body is any better than avoiding strikes. Diaz is a great striker, Once Silva Decides he's studied Nick enough and starts his ducking and weaving than throws his jabs Nicks in trouble. If he can't avoid that it's all over except for the post fight crying

Muytai>boxing
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

wouldnt even be a close/fair fight. Diaz would get stopped either late in the first or early in the second round. I cant believe this is even a discussion.

And Silva is in a different weight class as well, and has fought as high as LHW.
    We're talking about Diaz going up 1 weight class, not 2 or 3.

I would say GSP has better stand up the Diaz, but Diaz has better boxing. There is a difference. And the underlined is just ridiculous.
    I guess it comes down to how you define "levels". For me, to be on a different level is to be so far advanced over the next guy, not just a little. I think Diaz's striking is at such a high level that there is no one who is that much better than him. There may be some who are a little better, but not on a different level.

For example, I would say Diaz's boxing is a little better than BJ Penn's, but certainly not by enough to say that Diaz is at a different level. I would say that JDS' boxing is on a different level than all other HWs.

There is no exact definition as to what would put someone on another level versus someone else

Didn't everyone just see Condit VS Diaz?

Where Condit landed his punches and kicks, Anderson would land, with more, and with much better technique, power, agility, and evasiveness. Add in size and reach advantage, and Nick Diaz just got murdered by Anderson Silva, not to mention Anderson's knees and if he used his muay thai clinch on Nick.

I would love to see that fight, although, I wouldn't want to see Nick commit suicide afterwards. I actually enjoy watching him come fight and appreciate what he brings to the table as an athlete and fighter, but that's it.
    "They're all dead. They just don't know it yet."

Thread Information