Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I start BJJ classes this week, any advice?

Default I start BJJ classes this week, any advice?

I'm going to be attending my first BJJ class this week, and knowing that a number of guys on this board train in martial arts of difference kinds, I thought it would be a good idea to get some advice or tips (whatever they may be).

I've training kickboxing and karate on and off since I was little, but I lost interest in training in striking about 3 years ago, as I became passionate about grappling of all kinds.

I've been advised by the teacher to come along for a month or so to see if it captures my interest before buying a gi, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to wear/take with me, or what to expect.

It's a beginners class, so I won't be rolling with any black belts or anything, and I'm really looking forward to it, as I've been looking for a local BJJ class for about 6 months, and couldn't find one, until I recently found out that this one is only about 15mins walk from my house!

Cheers in advance for any help

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

As marcellus wallus says in pulp fiction pride is a mother fucker. Dont be afraid to tap. Guys thay dont tap until they have are the ones who go home injured. Dont be the asshole who treats it like a fight every time you roll so if a guy says he wants to roll light with you dont be a dick and try to take a limb home cause if you get addicted to bjj you are going to show up to classes sore one day and you are going to want to roll light one day and than it can come back to haunt you. If you like bjj than spend the hundred bucks and get a gi because 1 it will open up more classes to attend and 2 it helps build up your technique and control.
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

Hey Dan, great to hear that you will be starting this class brother!

I started taking bjj at the beginning of this year, so I have been at it for two months (been doing Judo for 2 plus years). Wow is is it different then Judo. I like it though b/c we work more on ground technique, which is less high impact then Judo (mainly throws).

I agree with enditwithaleft: don't be afraid to tap. If you are uncomfortable then tap. When I first started I was not used to leg locks (they are illegal in Judo), so I tapped quick the first time I was in one (even though it probably wasn't in). I will always take a choke longer then a joint lock (getting choked out won't leave you with lasting problems).

Remember that your training partner is there to learn as well. Don't try to break them. Go hard, but when you get that first arm bar, or whatever, don't try to crank their arm off. That said give them hell with your first triangle or any choke.

You said you won't be rolling with black belts, which I think will not be the case if it is like hear in the states. You should want to roll with the black belts. They will teach you a lot and know to show you the proper technique. You would have more of a chance getting hurt by me (a newb) then someone who has lots of experience.

Worry about position for the first little bit. I cam in from Judo thinking I would do ok (which I kinda did), but quickly learned I needed to work on my posture both in guard, half-guard, mount, and everywhere in between. You will get controlled, swept, and put in bad positions, but just learn from each time and you will see how much better you get. My first week (I went hard b/c I have been grappling for two plus years so they threw me to the wolves) I got tapped a bunch by the blue belts, everytime we rolled for 5 minute sessions. I am now down to mostly only getting tapped once or twice in a 5 minute roll with a blue belt (the instructor will always tap you at will, probably).

Watch all the vids and competitions that you can. I like the Marcello Garcia vids. Listen closely to the instructors. Don't get frustrated. You probably won't be good after two classes, but you will get better. Remember that your club is your team, it is not you versus Joe or Dave. You guys are a team, so make each other better. Don't forget to have fun, and get a good workout.

Hope you have a great time!

Just go have fun, be respectful and soak it all in. You'll enjoy it.

Don't spaz out.

Control your breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by CRisCO View Post
    Don't spaz out.

Control your breathing.
    Thanks a lot man. I do a lot of running and cycling and I've had to work quite a lot on my breathing for those, so hopefully that'll help! Thanks for making me aware of it though, I probably wouldn't have thought about it if you hadn't flagged it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasedog View Post
    Just go have fun, be respectful and soak it all in. You'll enjoy it.
    Cheers brother, I'm so excited for it!

Quote Originally Posted by MIZJUDOZOU View Post
    Hey Dan, great to hear that you will be starting this class brother!

I started taking bjj at the beginning of this year, so I have been at it for two months (been doing Judo for 2 plus years). Wow is is it different then Judo. I like it though b/c we work more on ground technique, which is less high impact then Judo (mainly throws)....
    Cheers for the reply Miz, real awesome advice. Good ground battles have been my favourite aspect about combat sports for a good couple of years and I've been looking for a class to join for a while, so I'm really excited for it now.

The reason I won't be rolling with black belts just yet is because the class I'm attending is a novice class, and the instructor has said I should attend these for about 2 months before joining the standard/advanced classes, where experienced rollers will be.

I'm quite flexible, I can get both feet behind my head, so I'm hoping this will come in handy when it comes to having a high guard etc! haha

Quote Originally Posted by end it with a left View Post
    As marcellus wallus says in pulp fiction pride is a mother fucker...
    Brilliantly put, my man. I try to avoid having an ego, so I don't think I'll be afraid to tap. The way I see it, if I tap to something then it's because I did something wrong, and the best thing to do is to try and work out why and how I got into or was put into that position, and try to make sure it doesn't happen again. As you said, it's a class, so I'm there to learn, not prove anything to anyone.

I can't wait for this class guys, I'll let you know how it goes, thanks a load for your help/advice/tips/encouragement!

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier

0-1 on sig bets.

Hehe running cardio is a whole new animal. It's always enlightening.you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by CRisCO View Post
    Hehe running cardio is a whole new animal. It's always enlightening.you'll enjoy it.
    Haha no doubt, I've lost around 60 pounds in the last couple of years, so I'm pretty weak in comparison to what I was (I didn't do much weight training at all) so I'm not holding out much hope for my muscle endurance! haha

0-1 on sig bets.

Hey guys. Just wanted to give you an update on how it's going. I've been to two classes now (I can only make it to one class a week because I get home from work late) and I'm hooked.

In the first week, we just drilled shrimping/hip escape, break-falls, and a basic kimura from the bottom, as well as a sweep (I found a video of the one we did here - Knee on Belly Arm Bar Submission Technique - Gracie Jiu Jitsu Moves - YouTube).

The second week was awesome, we worked on passing guard from a stacked position and landing in the knee on belly position. We then learned a lapel choke from knee on belly, and a step-over armbar from knee on belly (video of the technique here Knee on Belly Arm Bar Submission Technique - Gracie Jiu Jitsu Moves - YouTube).

I'm finding myself running over the moves for the week following each lesson, because I don't want to forget anything. I'd love to attend two or three classes, but right now it's not possible.

I was going to give it a month or so before buying a gi, just to see how I got on, but I think I'm going to go ahead and buy one. Does anyone have any advice on what I should look for (best kind of stick/material etc.) in a good gi?

Also, I'm looking into different things to wear underneath my gi, such as compression tops/rash guards? I quite like the Nike Pro Combat range and the Underarmor stuff, but if anyone knows of any other alternatives that are worth checking out, I'd appreciate it if then could let me know!

Thanks a lot guys

0-1 on sig bets.

Dan C-

Does your gym sell their own gi's? I always like to buy one from my gym, so that it has their logo. I also always think it is good to support your club.

I like to have at least two (got three now), b/c if you do multiple classes a week, you don't want to wear a used gi. Those things hold sweat like nobodys business. Ask your club if they got any used ones for cheap. That way you have a crap one to train with. Then you can get a nice one if you start to compete.

I have a blue and a white gi. Jiu Jitsu you can have other colors as well. The nicer the gi the more thread in the coat part, which is nice b/c they are tougher fabric. You can tell the difference when you roll with someone. Harder to grab and yank a nice gi, IMO.

I don't wear anything else except compression shorts and a cup. I remember when I first started training I would get rubbed from the gi (especially my nips, ha), but your body gets used to it.

Do they have opens at your gym? My gym has classes and then opens. An open is where you just go in and roll or practice things. I hit two classes a week and then an open. The open is great, b/c you get to just try out whatever you want.

Edit: Check out Marcello Garcia's vids. I like his stuff.
    Last edited by MIZjitsZOU; 03-04-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Thread Information