Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: I took a MMA training class tonight

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Deep down the rabbit hole.
    Posts
    7,299

    Default I took a MMA training class tonight

    I know, another "I took my first MMA class thread."

    American Top Team just recently opened up a gym here in Jacksonville, FL in October and I just found out about it today from a little sign on the side of the road, and they're having their grand opening sometime in the next two weeks.

    I stopped by to check it out and talked to some of the trainers and I ended up coming back around 6:00 and worked out for about three hours. It was fucking awesome! We didn't do a whole lot but after some warm up movements, we did some boxing drills for about an hour or so, and then grappling drills for the rest. In grappling, I learned how to shoot for a double-leg, how to perform a proper guillotine from the guard, and how to perform a darce and anaconda choke from the sprawl (and where the Gable grip originated).

    I brought two of my friends with me, one was a pretty good highschool wrestler, and the other never trained a combat sport in his life. At the end of the class, we had to wrestle against each other and the goal was to either take each other down and try to pass guard or perform one of the chokes. I paired up with my friend with no wrestling experience, of course, lol.

    I took him down first and stayed on top of him in his guard (before we were told to pass) and then we were stood up. I wanted to try and defend his takedown and try to choke him so I let him shoot in on me. I wasn't low enough at first so he drove me about 15-20 feet and we ended up off the mats, tripping into a bench, and I landed my ass on a 20 pound dumbell. The last drill, I let him shoot in on me again and was able to sprawl. I tried going to the darce choke but I was already worn out before we even started wrestling each other and wasn't able to reach under far enough to get a tight grip, so he was able to flip out of it. I followed him and stayed dominant while trying to gain position. We both were rolling for a moment and I ended up getting into the sprawl position again. I locked my right arm under his neck and tried to go for the darce again, but I was just too tired to perform it as quick as I was trying to and I ended up in guard, but I still had his neck really good so I just locked in the guillotine. He tried to fight it and I cranked. He tapped.

    It was fucking great. I loved it. It was a ton of fun. I am going back tomorrow and for my free week. I definitely plan on signing up. There wasn't that many people there tonight, but tomorrow there's supposed to be about 40 UNF wrestlers coming in. I heard UNF (Jacksonville) made 8th best collegiate wrestling team in the nation recently.

    I thought about you guys the whole time, haha. I asked one of the wrestling coaches who he thinks is going to win the fight this weekend and he said "Diaz, all day!"
    Last edited by m1ckeykn0x; 02-02-2012 at 07:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chael Sonnen's Octagon
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    That's awesome man! Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. I miss MMA training. I was going to go to this AMC Pankration satellite gym about 20 mins from my house, but they just recently closed down and now the only location is like 1 hour 30 mins away. With my job, rugby, my dog and strength/conditioning for rugby, it's just too far and I don't have the time.

    Keep at it man. It's a great work out, very self empowering and a great way to grow and learn about yourself. And remember always to just have fun with it first and foremost!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Thats awesome to hear!! its amazing how you can learn so much so quickly in mma/grappling and just keep evolving yourself, i love it! keep us posted on how the rest of the week goes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Very far
    Posts
    9,524

    Default

    Remember man, no matter how much you train or how good you are at fighting, you will never be a true Badass if you do not wear TapOut shirts. And another thing, to say "I took a MMA training class" is wrong, you should say "I started training UFC", and if you end that sentence with a "Bro" is even better.

    Now, if you really want to be feared, loved and respected, right now you should register in Sherdog and become a black belt in the forums.
    When you watch the PPVs with friends or other people, never forget to commentate the action and you can say stuff like "WTF is he doing? He should grab his arm and go for the fucking kimura...I was in the same position 3 days ago in my dojo against a guy that was 50 pounds heavier than me, and I went for the kimura and I almost broke his arm, he tapped inmediately".

    Even if you took only one class, you should already act all tough as if you have been training for 15 years and you are a world champion. If you do not like somebody, challenge him, when he sees that you are wearing a TapOut shirt he will understand that you are a true fighter and he will apologize and is going to leave.

    Chokes, training, takedowns, all that stuff is not that neccesary. However it is very neccesary to buy right now very expensive shorts and gloves in order to feel like a true UFC master.



    Ok, in all seriousness congrats! Hopefully you continue enjoining the trainings. Best of luck to you!
    And BTW I think that knowing few moves, you can already beat some of those wannabe tough guys wearing ridiculous shirts and acting as if they are the real deal because "I have been watching UFC since UFC 1 bro!"
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff



  5. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    I know, another "I took my first MMA class thread."

    American Top Team just recently opened up a gym here in Jacksonville, FL in October and I just found out about it today from a little sign on the side of the road, and they're having their grand opening sometime in the next two weeks.

    I stopped by to check it out and talked to some of the trainers and I ended up coming back around 6:00 and worked out for about three hours. It was fucking awesome! We didn't do a whole lot but after some warm up movements, we did some boxing drills for about an hour or so, and then grappling drills for the rest. In grappling, I learned how to shoot for a double-leg, how to perform a proper guillotine from the guard, and how to perform a darce and anaconda choke from the sprawl (and where the Gable grip originated).

    I brought two of my friends with me, one was a pretty good highschool wrestler, and the other never trained a combat sport in his life. At the end of the class, we had to wrestle against each other and the goal was to either take each other down and try to pass guard or perform one of the chokes. I paired up with my friend with no wrestling experience, of course, lol.

    I took him down first and stayed on top of him in his guard (before we were told to pass) and then we were stood up. I wanted to try and defend his takedown and try to choke him so I let him shoot in on me. I wasn't low enough at first so he drove me about 15-20 feet and we ended up off the mats, tripping into a bench, and I landed my ass on a 20 pound dumbell. The last drill, I let him shoot in on me again and was able to sprawl. I tried going to the darce choke but I was already worn out before we even started wrestling each other and wasn't able to reach under far enough to get a tight grip, so he was able to flip out of it. I followed him and stayed dominant while trying to gain position. We both were rolling for a moment and I ended up getting into the sprawl position again. I locked my right arm under his neck and tried to go for the darce again, but I was just too tired to perform it as quick as I was trying to and I ended up in guard, but I still had his neck really good so I just locked in the guillotine. He tried to fight it and I cranked. He tapped.

    It was fucking great. I loved it. It was a ton of fun. I am going back tomorrow and for my free week. I definitely plan on signing up. There wasn't that many people there tonight, but tomorrow there's supposed to be about 40 UNF wrestlers coming in. I heard UNF (Jacksonville) made 8th best collegiate wrestling team in the nation recently.

    I thought about you guys the whole time, haha. I asked one of the wrestling coaches who he thinks is going to win the fight this weekend and he said "Diaz, all day!"
    That's great to hear that you enjoyed it. I'm surprised you mentioned that you didn't do a whole lot, considering that from your description, it looked like a ton of stuff in your first class. It's great that you were able to go 3 hrs, as most people are drained very quickly when they first start off. Hell, it's even tough when you've been doing it for a while.

    How did it feel when you got your first submission? For me, the feeling of getting my first submission was the primary reason that I knew I wanted to come back. I knew I was rolling with a beginner but it just felt like something else. Mine was a triangle choke.

  6. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Deep down the rabbit hole.
    Posts
    7,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky>Fedor View Post
    Remember man, no matter how much you train or how good you are at fighting, you will never be a true Badass if you do not wear TapOut shirts. And another thing, to say "I took a MMA training class" is wrong, you should say "I started training UFC", and if you end that sentence with a "Bro" is even better.

    Now, if you really want to be feared, loved and respected, right now you should register in Sherdog and become a black belt in the forums.
    When you watch the PPVs with friends or other people, never forget to commentate the action and you can say stuff like "WTF is he doing? He should grab his arm and go for the fucking kimura...I was in the same position 3 days ago in my dojo against a guy that was 50 pounds heavier than me, and I went for the kimura and I almost broke his arm, he tapped inmediately".

    Even if you took only one class, you should already act all tough as if you have been training for 15 years and you are a world champion. If you do not like somebody, challenge him, when he sees that you are wearing a TapOut shirt he will understand that you are a true fighter and he will apologize and is going to leave.

    Chokes, training, takedowns, all that stuff is not that neccesary. However it is very neccesary to buy right now very expensive shorts and gloves in order to feel like a true UFC master.



    Ok, in all seriousness congrats! Hopefully you continue enjoining the trainings. Best of luck to you!
    And BTW I think that knowing few moves, you can already beat some of those wannabe tough guys wearing ridiculous shirts and acting as if they are the real deal because "I have been watching UFC since UFC 1 bro!"
    Oh, I already bought my very own, handy dandy, Tapout keychain. If someone looks at me the wrong way, all I do is take out my keychain and let it swing back and forth while I give them the stink-eye.

    (I don't really have a Tapout keychain)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    That's great to hear that you enjoyed it. I'm surprised you mentioned that you didn't do a whole lot, considering that from your description, it looked like a ton of stuff in your first class. It's great that you were able to go 3 hrs, as most people are drained very quickly when they first start off. Hell, it's even tough when you've been doing it for a while.

    How did it feel when you got your first submission? For me, the feeling of getting my first submission was the primary reason that I knew I wanted to come back. I knew I was rolling with a beginner but it just felt like something else. Mine was a triangle choke.
    I guess I expected to be jumping off the walls and doing gogoplata's, haha. Ah, i'm just kidding. It was a lot. To be honest, I am really out of shape right now and I don't know how I kept on going until the end. After the boxing drills, I went out back and threw up, then came back in and started with the grappling class. It was cool to have guys push me.

    That was the first time I ever submitted someone in my life. Granted, it was one of my best friends who is a novice, too, but he was trying pretty hard, and it was awesome. It definitely hooked me in. In fact, when I cranked that guillotine, it was with all I had left in my tank. If he would have known to try and gain side mount, he may have slipped out, and I would have been screwed. That made it even better. I can't wait to practice those chokes and learn more.

    I hurt my foot pretty good last night when he drove me across the mat. It rolled back and I haven't been able to walk on it much last night or all day today. I still went back to the gym just to see if there was anything I could do, or at least watch the UNF wrestlers. They wrapped my foot up and iced it, and I couldn't just sit there. I took part in some exercises and the boxing drills/bag work. I really wanted to grapple, but I just can't explode off my right foot until it heals, so I just watched the wrestlers go at it for about an hour.

    The wrestling coach there is a division 1 national champion and he was just schooling all of these college wrestlers, back to back, with a hurt knee! It was amazing. The guy is an absolute beast. He looked like he wasn't even nearly 100% focused while outwrestling dudes from the college who were like 185-250 pounds. There was a wrestler there who I had met in a strength and conditioning class who's about 6'5" and around 250 pounds. The coach was handling him and at one point, he lifted him above his head and slammed him down to the ground. After doing that to about 4-5 different guys, he started boxing with about 3 other guys for several rounds a piece, and I was just impressed at how long he was able to go for, and he wasn't even being that serious.

    I did about three, three minute rounds of shadowboxing with my friend, and then I had to do 3 rounds with this other guy there who has had training experience since 2001 and was an ex-marine. He told me he went to Holland once to train, too. We were just going light but he was picking me apart with the jab and was just kicking my butt. He was helping me a lot though. At the end, I was worn out, and I tried just moving forward to gain offense, throwing some jabs and 1-2 combinations with some body shots, but he just kept punching me in the face. He would beat my ass. Lol, it was great.

  7. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    World of Pain!
    Posts
    4,473

    Default

    Way to go on taking on the training. If I didn't have my BJJ and Judo classes I would go insane. It is fun to learn and be able to help people get better. It is a great honor to have training partners.

    Pashak you made my morning with that tapout spill. I picture you with a tattoo of fedor on your left arm.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •