Thread: Wand vs. Bas Rutten

Default Wand vs. Bas Rutten

Prime Wand vs. Prime Bas... Who takes it?

That's like asking

who wins
    Ditka or a Hurricane

But the hurricanes name is Hurricane Ditka

There are no winners just the aftermath, and the bodies of the dead innocent bystanders
    Last edited by beardown98; 04-10-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Idk I love bas, but wandy was an absolute beast in his prime. Would be an awesome fight though

Not even close. Bas is arguably the greatest of all time. Beyond a legend. His record is 28-4-1 with a 22 non losing streak. 11 years undefeated. The only person to top that is fedor.

IMO you would have silva rushing forward into body kicks and liver punches until either a decision or he drops his hands to give bas the ko. I think the cage would especially favor bas, but the result would be similar in the ring. Silvas boxing or kicking is not superior, the only place silva has a big advantage is in the clinch. If it goes to the ground, bas gets the sub. Neither guy would wear out, so it would be a great fight. Similar to crocop vs silva in how the test would be how much silva can take.

Quote Originally Posted by deadstealth View Post
    Not even close. Bas is arguably the greatest of all time. Beyond a legend. His record is 28-4-1 with a 22 non losing streak. 11 years undefeated. The only person to top that is fedor.

IMO you would have silva rushing forward into body kicks and liver punches until either a decision or he drops his hands to give bas the ko. I think the cage would especially favor bas, but the result would be similar in the ring. Silvas boxing or kicking is not superior, the only place silva has a big advantage is in the clinch. If it goes to the ground, bas gets the sub. Neither guy would wear out, so it would be a great fight. Similar to crocop vs silva in how the test would be how much silva can take.
    They were both so aggressive. I dont know about Bas subbing wand though. If the fight stays on the outside its bas' game, if it takes place on the inside it would be to wand's advantage.

Bas was more technical with both striking and subs, but Wandelei could have put on relentless pressure during his prime. Both guys had good chins... but whoever landed first could take it.

Wanderlei may have had the advantage in MMA though,since most of Bas' fights were under oldschool pancrase rules (no punches to the head).

There actually was plans for bas to come back and fight wandy in pride during his reign of terror. Canīt remember the year but bas was talking about it and it only depented on wether his body could handle the training or not, witch it didnīt. They were aloud to hit to the head in pancrase but just not with closed fist, bas was stilla hurting people there so i donīt think that would have been a problem. Really hard fight to pick but iīd take el guapo by ko.
    Dixi et animam levavi

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterman View Post
    There actually was plans for bas to come back and fight wandy in pride during his reign of terror. Canīt remember the year but bas was talking about it and it only depented on wether his body could handle the training or not, witch it didnīt. They were aloud to hit to the head in pancrase but just not with closed fist, bas was stilla hurting people there so i donīt think that would have been a problem. Really hard fight to pick but iīd take el guapo by ko.
    i was going to mention, they were almost set to fight (under K1 rules if i remember correctly), back in pride.

i'm having trouble picking in this one. prime wand was damn near unstoppable, but he never faced a calmer, measured striker who could take his best and make smart counters, (well, except for CC and hunt... but of which he lost).

come to think of it... was bas ever out-struck in his career?
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post

come to think of it... was bas ever out-struck in his career?
    I would bet that Maurice Smith would have outstruck him, had their fight stayed standing. It seemed to be Bas' gameplan to get him down. Not that he would be scared, but his easiest route to the win.

Thread Information