Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones v. Chuck Liddell (2006)

Default Jon Jones v. Chuck Liddell (2006)

With Liddell coming out saying he would only come back to fight for the title it got me thinking... who would win between these two if they fought when Liddell was in his prime.

Personally I think Liddell is the worse possible match-up for a guy like Jones. An extremely heavy handed striker, with insane takedown defense and a great chin.

In the end I think Jones would win 6 out of 10 times. He would be able to use his reach and size to keep Liddell on the outside and score points to win a decision. But those 4 times Liddell would win it would be in violent fashion.

(Mods, feel free to add a poll lol)
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

I agree with you completely.

If Jones beat chuck it would be by decision chuck would have put him to sleep when he won.

Picked appart all day by Jones and possibly even submitted. Jones has taken everybody down at some point in his fights, chuck would be no different.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

completely disagree.

Chuck's TDD was very much like BJ Penn's imo. Very very good, but not facing enough elite wrestlers.

I would make a case that Machida, Rampage, and Evans... atleast when Jones faced them have = if not better TDD than Chuck.

Stopping Couture, Tito, Horn, and Bablu from taking you down was good at the time. But Chuck was taken down by rampage in thier first fight and would have a very hard time stopping a takedown from someone like Evans, Bader, Davis, etc... let alone Jones.

Wasnt Liddell's striking also Exposed? He beat up on guys that were ground fighters that had very poor standup with no real power or speed. Minus vitor at the time, who he approached differently and is now a MW.

Look at Jones's last 4 opponents. Rampage beat him twice, Rashad and Shogun Ko'd liddell. We can say that Rampage destroyed Chuck's chin and he was never the same, but what's to say that if Rashad or Shogun fought him instead, they wouldnt have done the same. Hendo could have also beaten Chuck at the time.

I am also still very pissed that the UFC never made Liddell vs. Machida when Liddell was Champ. He would have lost that as well.

Liddell had good standup with good power... but so did Machida, Rampage, and Shogun. Liddell had great TDD, but Jones' wrestling is GSP like. He will get you down no matter how good your TDD is.

I love how people constantly criticize Rampage's standup, but praise Liddell's. When Rampage outstruck Chuck in both fights... Are you telling me that Rampage wouldnt have Ko'd Tito, Horn, and Couture as well?

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Picked appart all day by Jones and possibly even submitted. Jones has taken everybody down at some point in his fights, chuck would be no different.
    You are ignoring a few things here.

1. Liddell's takedown defense was the stuff of legends. Jones had a hard time taking down Rampage and I believe Liddell's takedown defense in his Prime was better than Rampage's current takedown defense.

2. Liddell also had the ability to get right back to his feet when he was takendown. I believe he still holds the record in the UFC for least amount of time spent on his back. Which is pretty crazy when you consider the grapplers he fought; Randleman, Ortiz, Sobral, Couture and Evans to name a few.

I think Jones would win most of the time. But Liddell is just a terrible match-up for him.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    You are ignoring a few things here.

1. Liddell's takedown defense was the stuff of legends. Jones had a hard time taking down Rampage and I believe Liddell's takedown defense in his Prime was better than Rampage's current takedown defense.

2. Liddell also had the ability to get right back to his feet when he was takendown. I believe he still holds the record in the UFC for least amount of time spent on his back. Which is pretty crazy when you consider the grapplers he fought; Randleman, Ortiz, Sobral, Couture and Evans to name a few.

I think Jones would win most of the time. But Liddell is just a terrible match-up for him.
    Yes, liddells tdd was great, but he didnt fight the better wrestlers of today in mma, you of all people should know that. You just listed his opponents... Rampage took chuck down in their first fight. You dont think he could stop tito, randleman(he did), or bablu's takedowns?

He had a knee injury against Bader, and Bader is a very high level wrestler to begin with.

Couture did get chuck down in their first fight and got shutdown when trying to come in with sloppy hand work in the next fights.

Evans didnt even go for the takedown and put Liddell on his back with an overhand. He didnt have the shot, follow through, and set up in his wrestling back then either. Look at his fight with Davis.

back in the day guys like matt hughes and BJ Penn, we didnt expect to see those guys spend a lot of time on there back. In came the ultra talented GSP. Jones would be able to take liddell down, or outstrike him standing.

Chuck does not have a great chin anymore, and imo he has slowed down a bit. Chuck in his prime would have a good shot, but not the Chuck of now.

OHH I Just saw the 2006 part. I'd say chuck would have a pretty decent chance, but you have to remember Jones is just the type of fighter who likes to turn around and start sprinting the other way when he gets hurt- in what is a very large octagon. Perhaps if it were in a smaller ring where you couldn't just start running away from your opponent I would pick Chuck.
    Last edited by dbader08; 04-27-2012 at 08:30 PM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

8. Default

Chuck and very easily.

His TDD is stuff of legend and he had an iron chin and just stupid KO power in both hands. I don't even think it would be close honestly.

I think the sad thing is more and more people want to somehow look over or discredit Chuck as a fighter. Sad really.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Chuck and very easily.

His TDD is stuff of legend and he had an iron chin and just stupid KO power in both hands. I don't even think it would be close honestly.

I think the sad thing is more and more people want to somehow look over or discredit Chuck as a fighter. Sad really.
    Sorry man but I don't see how you can say any LHW In the history of mma would beat Jones "very easily"...and Chuck's takedown d wasn't looking so legendary when Rampage was easily taking him down when they fought. You really think Jones wouldn't be able to do that when Couture and Rampage were able to? Plus theres that whole 85 inch reach thing with a huge octagon that he could circle around in all day long, throwing different types of kicks, plus jabs to keep chuck at bay...and it's not like Chuck's footwork is that quick which is something you really need to have when going against someone with such a long reach.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

I was thinking of this yesterday.

Chuck is his prime VS Jones would be incredible. Chuck is the type of fighter that could give Jones trouble. He had excellent timing, KO power in both fists, great wrestling and superb takedown defense. His chin was steel and he fought only with a desire to kill or be killed. I think he had the aggression that it would take to cut Jon off in the cage. I can't call the fight though. Bones is a freak.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

Thread Information