+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones v. Chuck Liddell (2006)

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Picked appart all day by Jones and possibly even submitted. Jones has taken everybody down at some point in his fights, chuck would be no different.
    Chuck had some of the best TDD and ability to get right back up that we've ever seen. Jones would do no such thing.

Im not even a Jones fan, but this hard to imagine.

Liddell would stop JJ takedowns because he stopped tito's, horn, etc takedowns. Like there is any coloration to what Jones has to offer.

And Liddell is a better striker than Jones because KO lesser guys. Liddell may have had more power and aggression, but you cant expect Jones to KO guys like Shogun, Rampage, Evans, and Machida. Imagine what they would have done to chuck. Those guys have no comparison to the guys Chuck has fought.

Look at how Jones performed against Shogun, Rampage, and Evans... and compare that to how liddell performed against them.

Chuck was definitely at his best for the 2nd rampage fight. He was on his winning streak, facing someone who had already beat him. Its not the fact his chin degraded. Look at the shots Shogun, Rashad, and Rampage landed on him. All big power punches, with the intention to get the Ko. It was a technical error, not just his chin.

People have liddell on such a high level in their minds, but comparing him to the fighters of now, let alone Jones is silly. I would bet good money that prime liddell would lose to all of Jones' past 4 opponents.

Im not trying to bag on Liddell but you have to be realistic. I did the same thing when people were saying how prime liddell was a better striker than Anderson and that he would beat him...

Im also a huge wand fan, but realize how he would perform against the best now, even in his prime.

This kind of reminds me of how people were acting like a prime royce gracie would submit top guys left and right if he was in the UFC at that time... when he was fighting hughes...

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    Im not even a Jones fan, but this hard to imagine.

Liddell would stop JJ takedowns because he stopped tito's, horn, etc takedowns. Like there is any coloration to what Jones has to offer.

And Liddell is a better striker than Jones because KO lesser guys. Liddell may have had more power and aggression, but you cant expect Jones to KO guys like Shogun, Rampage, Evans, and Machida. Imagine what they would have done to chuck. Those guys have no comparison to the guys Chuck has fought.

Look at how Jones performed against Shogun, Rampage, and Evans... and compare that to how liddell performed against them.

Chuck was definitely at his best for the 2nd rampage fight. He was on his winning streak, facing someone who had already beat him. Its not the fact his chin degraded. Look at the shots Shogun, Rashad, and Rampage landed on him. All big power punches, with the intention to get the Ko. It was a technical error, not just his chin.

People have liddell on such a high level in their minds, but comparing him to the fighters of now, let alone Jones is silly. I would bet good money that prime liddell would lose to all of Jones' past 4 opponents.

Im not trying to bag on Liddell but you have to be realistic. I did the same thing when people were saying how prime liddell was a better striker than Anderson and that he would beat him...

Im also a huge wand fan, but realize how he would perform against the best now, even in his prime.

This kind of reminds me of how people were acting like a prime royce gracie would submit top guys left and right if he was in the UFC at that time... when he was fighting hughes...
    the first rampage fight was a closer fight than people remember. chuck gassed out. the second fight, chucks chin was already gone, the evans and shogun fights chuck was just a shell of his former self

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    completely disagree.

Chuck's TDD was very much like BJ Penn's imo. Very very good, but not facing enough elite wrestlers.

I would make a case that Machida, Rampage, and Evans... atleast when Jones faced them have = if not better TDD than Chuck.

Stopping Couture, Tito, Horn, and Bablu from taking you down was good at the time. But Chuck was taken down by rampage in thier first fight and would have a very hard time stopping a takedown from someone like Evans, Bader, Davis, etc... let alone Jones.

Wasnt Liddell's striking also Exposed? He beat up on guys that were ground fighters that had very poor standup with no real power or speed. Minus vitor at the time, who he approached differently and is now a MW.

Look at Jones's last 4 opponents. Rampage beat him twice, Rashad and Shogun Ko'd liddell. We can say that Rampage destroyed Chuck's chin and he was never the same, but what's to say that if Rashad or Shogun fought him instead, they wouldnt have done the same. Hendo could have also beaten Chuck at the time.

I am also still very pissed that the UFC never made Liddell vs. Machida when Liddell was Champ. He would have lost that as well.

Liddell had good standup with good power... but so did Machida, Rampage, and Shogun. Liddell had great TDD, but Jones' wrestling is GSP like. He will get you down no matter how good your TDD is.

I love how people constantly criticize Rampage's standup, but praise Liddell's. When Rampage outstruck Chuck in both fights... Are you telling me that Rampage wouldnt have Ko'd Tito, Horn, and Couture as well?
    Agreed on all accounts except Tito. Is head is too big.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    the first rampage fight was a closer fight than people remember. chuck gassed out. the second fight, chucks chin was already gone, the evans and shogun fights chuck was just a shell of his former self
    Chuck's chin was already gone? He was on his long win streak. Most people believe the rampage fight broke his chin....

Like I said, it was the punch they landed. They didnt end him with some baby hook or a quick right hand. They were huge shots, meant to get the ko. Not sure if you insert them against chuck with a better chin that it makes a difference.

I always wanted to see prime wand vs. prime chuck... but prime shogun vs. prime chuck is a lot easier to predict. Shogun is just simply a superior striker. Jones was able to deal with him...

Not using it as MMA math, but guys like Shogun and Rampage really put chuck on the defensive in their fights.

6. Default

Chuck all day
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Chuck all day
    Step One: Chuck pokes Jones's eye
    Step Two: Chuck knocks him out
    Step Three: Chuck's victory interview needs subtitles

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

8. Default

Chuck in his prime wins every time Jones would of been what 12yr old than. I couldn't resist. Truthfully I'd have to give it to Jones mainly baseing it from the first Rampage fight were chuck lost at pride.

I hate Jon Jones, I love Chuck Liddell...that being said I think Chuck MIGHT win 2 out of 10 and that would be by pure luck of landing a heavy overhand right when Jones throws a spinning (pick whatever you choose here). I think Jones reach would be to much for the Iceman to handle. Sadly we will never see this fight and have to settle on the next best thing with Hendo vs Jones. I really want Dan to pull it off but I honestly give him the same chances I just gave Liddell.
    Believe in the S.H.I.E.L.D.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information