Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jon Jones v. Chuck Liddell (2006)

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    Im not even a Jones fan, but this hard to imagine.

Liddell would stop JJ takedowns because he stopped tito's, horn, etc takedowns. Like there is any coloration to what Jones has to offer.

And Liddell is a better striker than Jones because KO lesser guys. Liddell may have had more power and aggression, but you cant expect Jones to KO guys like Shogun, Rampage, Evans, and Machida. Imagine what they would have done to chuck. Those guys have no comparison to the guys Chuck has fought.

Look at how Jones performed against Shogun, Rampage, and Evans... and compare that to how liddell performed against them.

Chuck was definitely at his best for the 2nd rampage fight. He was on his winning streak, facing someone who had already beat him. Its not the fact his chin degraded. Look at the shots Shogun, Rashad, and Rampage landed on him. All big power punches, with the intention to get the Ko. It was a technical error, not just his chin.

People have liddell on such a high level in their minds, but comparing him to the fighters of now, let alone Jones is silly. I would bet good money that prime liddell would lose to all of Jones' past 4 opponents.

Im not trying to bag on Liddell but you have to be realistic. I did the same thing when people were saying how prime liddell was a better striker than Anderson and that he would beat him...

Im also a huge wand fan, but realize how he would perform against the best now, even in his prime.

This kind of reminds me of how people were acting like a prime royce gracie would submit top guys left and right if he was in the UFC at that time... when he was fighting hughes...
    And all you do time in and time out is try and shit on Chuck every chance you get.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Chuck was a great champion, no doubt about that. But throughout his whole career people always billed him as such a deadly striker - but I can't think of a single fight where he truly knocked someone out cold with one punch. He got a flash KO against Babalu with a headkick, but other than that I'm pretty sure all of his "KO" wins were via several consecutive punches rather than a single blow. Not to say he wasn't a good striker - obviously he was a great striker - I just think his true power was a little oversold.

In this match I think Jones takes it. He wouldn't need to take it to the ground - He could stay outside working his jab, odd angles, and unorthodox kicks and Chuck would never be able to find him. Chuck did best against guys who got in close and tried to rough him around. His ability to counter so effectively is what made him such a tough opponent for anyone, and I don't think Jones would ever be in Chuck's range long enough for him to develop any effective counter attack.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    And all you do time in and time out is try and shit on Chuck every chance you get.
    No just being realistic. Chuck was a great fighter, but he would lose to all of the top guys now. Same with wand.

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    No just being realistic. Chuck was a great fighter, but he would lose to all of the top guys now. Same with wand.
    How can you say that? A prime Liddell would be a handful for any of the top fighters. I bet you the Liddell from 2005/2006 would beat Bader, Evans, Davis, Thiago Silva, Lil'Nog and Griffin of today. Plus he would be a handful for Machida, Shogun, Jones, Goose and Hendo.

Wand is a completely different story and to be honest the Wandy that went on that 18-0-1 run would a terror for any LHW of today. If you missed out on his Pride days you missed out on a guy that was the definition of pure aggression and violence. I did not say Prime Wandy v. Jones because a Prime Wandy hangs Jones on the side of the cage.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    How can you say that? A prime Liddell would be a handful for any of the top fighters. I bet you the Liddell from 2005/2006 would beat Bader, Evans, Davis, Thiago Silva, Lil'Nog and Griffin of today. Plus he would be a handful for Machida, Shogun, Jones, Goose and Hendo.

Wand is a completely different story and to be honest the Wandy that went on that 18-0-1 run would a terror for any LHW of today. If you missed out on his Pride days you missed out on a guy that was the definition of pure aggression and violence. I did not say Prime Wandy v. Jones because a Prime Wandy hangs Jones on the side of the cage.
    yes i must have missed that...
    huge wand fan. got me into mma.

Even with liddell's great TDD, guys like Bader, Davis, and Mo are phenomenal wrestlers...

I say lil nog outboxes liddell, but it could be a toss up either way. Id take liddell over T. Silva and Griffen. Id probably take him over Goose as well, but the book is still open on Alex, he is still young, so we dont know.

Hendo is a horrible matchup for liddell, he is a much better version of Randay. Faster, Better standup, Better chin, huge power. Id take Hendo over Liddell then, now, and before. He would always have liddells number.

Shogun is a better striker all around than Chuck, and chuck would try and stand with him.

Machida would pick Chuck apart, now or even when Chuck was back in his prime.(Machida was still a beast then. I was hoping they would fight, but Rampage took him out first.)

Id definetly take Evans now over Liddell. Rashad is very chinny at times, so yes liddell could knock him out. But Rashad could win standing by outpointing him, getting the ko, or taking him down.

Not a huge Jones fan, but the guy is special. He beats liddell however he wants. Sure he might not Ko liddell, but he has shown the ability to hang with better strikers than Liddell was. Also I have no doubts that he could get liddell down. Back then could we have imagined guys like Bj and Hughes to be put on their back time after time.... GSP was able to, Jones would do that to liddell if he wanted to.

Chuck would be destroyed. His legendary takedown defense was against people that werent legendary wrestlers. Rampage and Coture took him right down.

Chuck also wasn't the most elite striker as Rampage showed us.

Chuck didn't fight the best in the world when he was in his prime, he fought some greats but nothing like what the UFC has now.

He also seemed to eye poke a good bit. Seems like he would poke someone in the eye and then when he saw them holding it, he would unleash that wild fury.

Chuck was great but not the greatest by far, not even the greatest of his time.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Make it happen Joe!...and doc brown!

BP
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

Depends on if Chuck could land that "pre-finishing" eye poke.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Current picture of Chuck and a fan.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information